Quest 2: How to enter UK postcodes...

charlie b

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just a few days in to the new Quest 2 and so far I cannot find the way to enter a simple UK postcode
to be able to 'route to' it rather than entering a street name and number, info that I don't always have.
No mention of 'postcode' or even 'zipcode' in the US biased manual...
Any thoughts please from the collective expertise..???
Thanks
Charlie

Find - Spell city then type the post code in.

Also make sure your quest is running the latest firmware (2.60/3.30 audio) IIRC.

Thanks fcasdo,
I'll try that and also check on the version I have. It is new and only a couple of days old so SHOULD have the latest setup... :nenau :nenau
But... you know what they say about assumptions.!!
Thanks again
Charlie

charlie b said:
...It is new and only a couple of days old so SHOULD have the latest setup...

Charlie:

No, not so at all. Operating software is loaded into the GPSR when it is manufactured. You have no way of knowing when the GPSR was manufactured, or how long it sat at the stockist's before you got it. For that reason, it is not appropriate to assume that just because a GPSR is new and you took it out of the shrink-wrapped box yesterday that the software will be up to date. For example - the current release of software for the 2820 and BMW Nav III is 3.0, that was just released last Thursday. I don't even think it has been loaded into WebUpdater yet (it will probably be there sometime this week). This means that every 2820 or Nav III in the world now has a software update waiting for it.

Garmin is very, very good about releasing updated software for GPSRs. Typically, new software will be released almost monthly for the first 4 months after a GPSR has been brought to market, then perhaps every second month for the next 4 months, then every fourth month after that, etc.

So, may I suggest you go to this link: Garmin WebUpdater, download the 'WebUpdater' application to your computer, then plug your GPSR in and run the WebUpdater program. This will poll the Garmin website and automatically download and install the latest and greatest software to your device.

Watch the prompts carefully when you are running WebUpdater. You might have to choose 'USB' as the method that your GPSR uses to connect to your computer - the updater sometimes defaults to Serial, which is not used for the newer GPSRs (hasn't been used since the SP III). Also, be aware that WebUpdater will make two passes through the library at Garmin - the first pass is for updated operating software, the second pass is for updated language software.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Have noticed your informed contributions in the past,
now I have finally got a Quest 2 and your posts are much more compelling, - strangely!!!

Thanks for the info. Until Garmin get Mac-compatible (9-12 months :nenau ) I will lean on a friendly PC/GPS guru chum to
update my unit.
As you observe, the unit being fresh out of the shrink wrap does not indicate the latest software version by any means.
Thanks again :thumb
Charlie

Hi Charlie:

Garmin made a commitment at the beginning of this year to have a version of MapSource out for the Mac OS by the end of 2006. So, you might not have to wait too long...

It should not be too difficult for a friend of yours with a Windows based machine to update your GPSR for you, using the WebUpdater application. Just be sure that your friend downloads and installs the WebUpdater program before you plug the GPSR into the computer using the USB cable. It is quite important that you do things in that sequence, because installing WebUpdater also installs the drivers needed by the Windows based machine to recognize the GPSR. If you plug the GPSR in first - and it is not recognized because there are no drivers present for it - the computer can sometimes be a bit reluctant to recognize the GPSR later on, once you do have the drivers installed.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom