I'm a virgin - treat me gently !!!

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Just sold my R100GS. Not really into the oil heads so I've bought myself a lovely 650GS :)
Handguards, heated grips, full service history...5,500 miles etc etc and she has cleaned up lovely. I have owned a st in the past and was well impressed by that as well. Will be insured Monday...so will need panniers for her so I can go to Welsh rally on 20th june !!! Any ideas..should I buy s/h or even new alloy boxes etc etc. Can I fit throw overs ( looks iffy) ???

Kenny

Kenny said:
Just sold my R100GS. Not really into the oil heads so I've bought myself a lovely 650GS :)
Handguards, heated grips, full service history...5,500 miles etc etc and she has cleaned up lovely. I have owned a st in the past and was well impressed by that as well. Will be insured Monday...so will need panniers for her so I can go to Welsh rally on 20th june !!! Any ideas..should I buy s/h or even new alloy boxes etc etc. Can I fit throw overs ( looks iffy) ???

Kenny
Oi JUDAS Change yer profile!!! You are no airhead'er any more :upyou

So it is you on the 650 site too then..................... :D

I just picked up my 2nd hand Dakar yesterday! Luverly!

Jim650 & me did a long hunt on luggage (didn't want hard panniers at the time) for the Morocco trip, and ended up with an Oxford bag that sits on the pillion seat.

Throwovers are few & far between, unless from the States, as the exhausts look like they'll burn thru. However there is what looks like a U-shaped bag consisting of big top bag (think Ortlieb but rectangularish here) that has two panniers that look like they zip to it and hang down/held down and are okay for the exhaust - @ £180

However - can I find it again, can I f$£k :confused:. Know it was a UK company/web site tho.

After doing Morocco with the Oxford bag and the hassle of unclipping it on the ferries/at night etc, I'd now got for that soft kitif I could find it again, or a set of hard panniers - take your pick with those, Touratech/BMW/Vern.

Cheers

Jon

Oi JUDAS Change yer profile!!!

It's MR Judas to you sonny !!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Scurrell - LOL

Jon, I think hard panniers are my route. I'm stinking rich so it's just a question of which alloy panniers to buy - lol

Then a s/s hose and front beak etc etc

Kenny

Definitely recommend a braided steel hose on the front brake.

The Dakar fender extender bit on the rear part of the front mudguard - only about 10cm long, but stops some more of the crap.

Lower front mudguard if ya wanna stop even more.

Dakar windscreen & beak if you haven't got a Dakar - makes it look better :)

Fork gaiters to protect/keep the forks clean

Oh, and the entire contents of the Touratech/Wunderlich catalouges................. :D

Any bits you don't use, just send down here :D :D

Kenny:

I bought my missus the full luggage set for her F650GS and I'm very impressed. The rear pannier rails are entirely unobtrusive when the panniers are removed from the bike. Fitting the rails is quick and simple if you want to remove them for any reason. The luggage looks good - although the alloy lids are very soft and easily scratched/dented. The panniers have an ingenious internal mechanism which allows the body of the cases to be expanded, increasing the volume. In "city" mode they're very neat and slim. In full width touring mode they're bigger and more useful than the standard panniers for the 1150. They can be carried around unlocked (something which you can't do on the 1150 without leaving the key in the lock - really irritating).

The top box is big enough for a full-face helmet. The plate that it fits onto is very useful in itself for strapping things to if you haven't got the top box in place. All-in-all the luggage worked out much cheaper than the same for the 1150GS and in my opinion it's much better kit. You need to take a bit of time fitting the "nipple" that the cases lock onto to get a secure and reliable lock. The cases are on and off the bike quicker than the 1150 cases.

The BMW tankbag is also a well-designed piece of kit and fits very neatly and securely onto the bike. It's not huge but it is extendable and will swallow quite a bit of stuff.

I looked into all sorts of alternatives before buying the BMW stuff, including systems made by Givi, Nonfango, etc. but they all result in a much wider rear end when fitted and a bike covered in scaffolding when the cases are removed.

If you've not seen the 650 with its cases on then let me know and I'll post a series of photos showing the rails and the fitting process.

BMW topbox

I took the BMW topbox of my Dakar before I traded it in for my 1150. It's For Sale if you're interested. (bracket included) You may need to take it to the shop to get the keys coded tho.

Shugz.

:beer:

Simon,

Could you please post a pic with the panniers on the GS :)
I assume they are the genuine CITY cases supplied by BMW.

Moto Bins don't stock them so I'll have to dig around the mail order firms etc

BTW I started another thread before reading your reply....maybe worth posting to that thread :)

SHUGZ, thanks for the offer but I'm not a top box man....(but maybe once the panniers are on, you never know) !!

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom