Garmin street pilot III buy or not buy?

kirre777

Saw an ad for a used street pilot III. Is it useful to tour europe with? Can I fit i on my 1200GS without spending a fortune? Or is it just hopelessly outdated?

/C

In it's day, the Garmin StreetPilot III was the dog's knees.

Now, it's hopelessly outdated. Even the model that superseded it, the 2610, is discontinued (but still available at some really good prices).

The main problem with the SPIII is the lack of processor pace. If you veer off-route, it can be several minutes before the unit has calculated a corrected re-route.

Greg

MMC said:
Mine's fine. Cost me £150 and seems to work OK. Cheap too...

Trouble is for not much more you (double the cost?) could get a 2610 that is very much faster than the SP3 has data cards that are much cheaper and hold much more information. That is 256mb cards are easily and relatively easily available for the SP3, 512mb ones are available but I don't know how stable etc etc they are. Also 2610 takes seconds for what the SP3 takes in minutes. :(

Anyway, for a big Europe tour I'd guess to have street level mapping every where you go you need at least 2 maybe 3 of the 256mb cards. You can get the whole of Europe onto a 2gb 2610 style card, and that card will probably cost around the same as the one 256mb card :eek:

Unless you get a very good deal (<£100?), extra cards etc or you've used a SP3 before and are more than happy with it, I'd not recommend getting an SP3 unless the extra cash is a real issue. And as you're wanting to tour Europe on a bike I guess it isn't :mmmm

HTH

Pish !!
There is nothing wrong with an SP3. Dont let them put you off. It may be a wee bit slower to recalculate, but it does everything you want from a gps.
Dont listen to the ' must have the latest toy brigade' unless, like most of them, you have too much disposable income.

With John on this

The 2610 is far from the latest toy out there but I have used it to good effect this year at home and abroad and find it very easy to use(after a mate pointed out some basics).
At the current price of £300ish its well recommended or wait and see if the price drops again.
Must start getting ready for work. :eek:

I'm looking forward to venturing into the realms of the electric fantastic with Mick's old Street Pilot III ;) , sure it may be a little bit slow, but not as slow as my mind for quite a while.

I'm sure last, last years model (which it about is) will be fine to learn. A cheap GPS is a way to learn. the latest must have can follow if it seems worth it.

Windows 98 may be a bit frustrating, but it still works and does most of the every day duties. Den's spot on :thumb

Added advantage the SPIII has the ability to be used as a brick or othersuch offensive weapon, and you shouldn't misplace it easily :D

Den said:
Pish !!
There is nothing wrong with an SP3. Dont let them put you off. It may be a wee bit slower to recalculate, but it does everything you want from a gps.
Dont listen to the ' must have the latest toy brigade' unless, like most of them, you have too much disposable income.

Agree with this. Yes they do take a while to re-calculate but they do work and they are very cheap.

Den said:
Pish !!

Agree! The only reason I sold mine was the Quest fits in your pocket when you park the bike.

Dave

The pace of change on these is amazing. I remember when I first got interested in a GPS sytem (just 30 months ago) the SPIII was what most people I knew seemed to be using. I used one quite happily to guide me around Germany (and Berlin city centre rush hour traffic) only 15 months ago. I was so impressed that I bought the 2610 8 months ago and now they're discontinued - hell I reckon they only produced them for about 2 years. :eek

If you're on a budget the SPIII will be ok, but for an extra £150 (and probably dropping) you can get a 2610 which I am seriously impressed with. Yes, I did find the recalculation time of the SPIII long in comparison with the 2610 (in reality it was probably a minute) but I used to just pull over and wait for it. Don't forget that with the SPIII you will probably need a 256 Mb data card if you're touring Europe, which makes the 2610 even more attractive. :thumb

thread hijack time...

I'm still looking for a SP111 to replace the one I killed. Seeing as I've got all the gubbins, cables, cards TT bracket etc, it seems daft to shell out for a new model. (which I won't understand...)

Double hijack

snodog said:
thread hijack time...

I'm still looking for a SP111 to replace the one I killed. Seeing as I've got all the gubbins, cables, cards TT bracket etc, it seems daft to shell out for a new model. (which I won't understand...)

If you have a tourtech bracket and memory card cluttering up your house I may be able to help you by taking them off your hands. :thumb

I've found the SP111 to be ok. Its slow speed is only a problem if you have used a faster one. As regards memory is it necessary to have maps for all of Europe loaded. For example if I was going to tour Scotland I would not need a GPS to show me the way up the M6. Nor would I need a GPS to get to Dover.
I would not have spent £300 on a GPS but the £150 package was enough to tempt me to try one and I have found it useful. For me having a £1000 GPS would be like having a £10,000 bike in the garage and only doing 1000 miles a year.
I've found the SP111 to be ok. It's slow speed is only a problem if you have used a faster one. As regards memory is it necessary to have maps for all of europe loaded. For example if I was going to tour Scotland I would not need a the GPS to show me the way up the M6. Nor would I need a GPS to get to Dover.
I would not have spent £300 on a GPS but the £150 package was enough to tempt me to try one and I have found it useful. For me having a £1000 GPS would be like having a £10,000 bike in the garage and only doing 1000 miles a year.

The benefit of having street level mapping along the route is that if you want to find out where the nearest fuel station is then the route along the base map will not show any results ;)

Unless of course you mark them down as waypoints and search for the nearest one. :)

SP3 needs to have CN7 to be useful, if that is in the deal, then go and buy it.
Not the latest,not the greatest, but for a few weeks in Europe, a good kick-off to see if it grabs you or not.

Den said:
Pish !!

Just out of interest but exactly how much is "too much" when it comes to disposable income ???

:)

Twotter said:
Just out of interest but exactly how much is "too much" when it comes to disposable income ???

:)

Parkinson's Law says: How ever much you have, it's not quite enough.

So there's no such concept of too much income (except in the eyes of others).

Greg

Touratech offers this nice RAM combo for the budget minded - US$39. Surely others do too.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/s...on=touratech:9AC06ED1B763E491D72F7F9758D50A29

I toured all over the US this past June with a SPIII/128 MB card, and didn't find recalc speed or lack of having *every* map available to be a handicap. I was carrying my laptop for email, web access etc., so re-loading the upcoming days maps wasn't an issue. Consider that the base map is adequate for most of the 'transit' section of a trip if you need to be selective on maps. If you are buying a refurb'd SPIII you'll get the update to the latest City Nav and have the up-to-date POI's although I have found even those to be of only marginal utiltity.

Nick Marshall said:
Is better than no sat nav. thats all i need to say :D

After owning a streetpilot III and a 2610 , i'd say a map is a better choice than a streetpilot III .

I've done euro tours etc. with the SPIII and there's no problem. I've still got mine 'cos I paid big bucks for it. Worth peanuts now, but still a solid GPS system. If you're that bothered about re-calculation times, get another GPS. Personally, I plan in routes with the auto re-route option turned off - essential if you want to stick to a planned route.

Back
Top Bottom