Finally booked for France end of Sept

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After of change of plan due to a Job change, we have finally decided to do a whistle stop tour to France. The Fery out is booked for the 22nd Sept and return by Chunnel on the 1st of Oct.

Rough itinery is:

Central Massif, Tarn Gorge, Milau, Carcassonne, Cahors. We have been to the Central Massif before so that will be a one day flying visit on the way down & probablythe same at Carcassonne.

We want to spend a bit more time in Cahors as its an area we havent been before.

Any places on this route we shouldnt miss??

Baz

Hi Baz

My wifes parents live just north of cahors in the village of Soucirac. The N20 is a superb road and since the motorway, is reasonably quite too, and the place to visit is Rocamador, a town built into the hillside. When you move on, near limoges there is the village of Orador sur Glane, where the Germans wiped out the whole towns population in June 1944 and the place has been left untouched as a memorial to the victims.

Try a visit to Rocamadour (in the region of the Lot) if you haven't been there before and/or a visit to Cordes sur Ciel (en route to or from Carcassonne). Both worth a visit and you can get you bike into the old town (at least we did - cobbled streets but 'fun')

Thanks Guys

keep em comming

Baz

St.Cirque Lapopie to the east of Cahors is well worth a visit and I seem to remember enjoying Souillac and its surroundings on the Dordogne as well.
Tony

Sod Rocmanodour. Tourist trap. Like Mont st Michel unzipped on the side of a valley. Lovely footpaths around there though, And Cahors wine is to die for - difficult to get this side of the Channel

Your itinery looks great. I know the area around Rocamadour quite well as I have a friend who has a house in Payrac. It's lovely biking country. Rocamadour is well worth a visit out of season, as are Domme and Sarlat. I have a few photos of Rocamadour on the photo album pagehere Cahor wine can be pricey I thought, but there is some nice stuff.

M :thumb

don't forget

to take your fishing rod!
Great spots around Rocamadour.
Buy the Fois Gras there - + local bread and a bottle of Sauterne and you're fixed for the day!
oh yes, a few flies and worms would be good too for your line! :D

Trevor Phillips said:
Sod Rocmanodour. Tourist trap. Like Mont st Michel unzipped on the side of a valley. Lovely footpaths around there though, And Cahors wine is to die for - difficult to get this side of the Channel

Parc des Singes is good though.... laugh at the tourists as the apes f*ck off with their handbags and wallets.....

Back
Top Bottom