Europe to Asia

eljay

Reaction score
Working on a plan to buy a BMW 1200 GS Adventure in Europe and ride it back to the Philippines.
There are a host of Philippine import problems to overcome but BMW here are working on that.
Presuming it is ok I have to decide on going through Russia/Japan then Philippines or Egypt, Saudi, India Thailand Malaysia and ship back from Sandakan in Sabah (Malysia)
A couple of buddies have expressed interest in doing it with me but I will probably be solo. Europe and Asia present no problem, I've just come back from a SIN,MAL,THA,CAM run and Europe is all established.
Would appreciate any personal input or links to sites with appropriate information you guys may know of.
There are couple of months lead time on 1200 Adventure orders and the earliest time I can ride Europe (winter does not turn me on) is probably April then leave in time to beat the wet season through parts of Asia.
Start 04/2007 end not yet clear.
Cheers and thanks in advance for any info.
eljay, Manila, Philippines

Your first stop (if you havent done so already) would be to visit horizonsunlimited.com which is THE site to get help in arranging a big trip like you have planned. There is enough material on there to keep you busy for months.

Enjoy!
Gazzr

Cheers Gazza, have poked around in there as well. Looking at belt and braces just to make sure I have'nt missed any other sites or maybe someone who has done it recently.
If I can get the bike into the Philippines legally then will head for Oz in 2008, maybe I could buy you a beer at the Epping pub.
eljay

Howdy from Saudi!

Wow, never thought I 'd see Saudi on anyone's route!

Am I going to end up living on some kind of international main road here? Cool!

Do let me know if you are passing, but keep in mind that getting visa for Saudi is not easy. You can usually only apply in your country of origin, and it takes a hell of a long time, maybe never. 99.99% of visas here are issued only to employees with sponsor, or to pilgrims. Some talk of tourist visas lately, but it will likely be closely regulated, groups, not individuals.

Bin,
Almarai,
Riyadh

Thanks Bin, it seemed like a good idea at the time I was hatching the plot and not too many stories about riding thru Saudi. Maybe your info details why!
I had thought about going through China but there are similar problems with entry.
Buy you an iced lemon tea if I pull it off.
Cheers

Eljay,

Nice choice of bike BTW! Some people will probably say its too heavy and not suitable for a trip like that but as long as you have some experience riding it before you set off you should be fine.

Gazzr

Hi Gazzr,
I ride an 1150GS here so it will be lighter.
With all the paperwork I'll have to put together to leave from the Turkey/Greece end of Europe I may be forced to go through Russia/Mongolia or I will look at the alternative and start in Oz then through SEA back to PHI.
The big stumbling block is still Philippines, because I want to keep the bike here when I get back.
Cheers

Ken & Toni ...

... have recently completed the Russian route, try looking here for info: http://www.kenandtoni.com/ Ken is a contributor on here using the name Intrepid Ken, drop him a line for more info :thumb

Back
Top Bottom