Autumn (And A Possible Off Road Type Place in Fife)

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

I love this time of year. The colours in the countryside are spectacular.

I was up at Kinshaldy beach/Tentsmuir forest on Saturday for a 90 minute walk (see what you've started, Stumpy?) with SWMBO and the other member of the family who wont do what he's told. Thing is, there are miles and miles of woodland tracks up here. Saw loads of MTBs.

I wondered how you'd get on taking your GS into the area. Do you think that someone might phone the polis? There are automatic barriers now for the car parking area so the wee ticket guy is no longer on site.

Here's a couple of pics of Bär in the woods. :)

104177253-L.jpg

104176690-L.jpg

I'll take the chance and test it oot for ye if ye want :thumb
Whit aboot a week on Sat?
Oh a fair auld whalloper on Bar eh :D

OONYACK said:
I'll take the chance and test it oot for ye if ye want :thumb
Whit aboot a week on Sat?
Oh a fair auld whalloper on Bar eh :D

Yer on :thumb

OONYACK said:

I've studied the pic and am still nane the wiser. You'll need to spell it oot for us Fitards (that's a retard fae Fife) :thumb

Tentsmuir young man. Used to off road there ,ooh just under 40 years ago. Used to be a massive hillock of bark between the ticket barrier and beach, much fun was had on it. Then followed the rally cars around the same time through the woods during the night sections, magic.
At that time and before you could go there during the hottest days of the yar and see no-one else, damned RAF (i think).
When Forest Commision, it was sin die to enter. Think its changed hands and as long as fire precautions are taken could be ok now.
At that time you could go on the beach east of Tayport and m/cycle right round to tentsmuir either in the woods or on the sand, ah those days, long gone.

I thought they were prunes!

Just had amental image of Ronno scratching head and saying over and over "its a prune what the feck does that mean" :thumb

stumpy said:
Just had amental image of Ronno scratching head and saying over and over "its a prune what the feck does that mean" :thumb

Spot on. I wiz... :eek:

Ronno said:
Hey am up for this,although think it might be frowned upon by the forestry commission but WTF. :) Seriously though this area has been getting a lot of bad press recently mostly for scrambler type bikes frightening the horses, and ramblers, its also a very popular area for families walking with there kids and dogs. However if ridden sensibly I.E. stopping whenever we come across someone I think it might be possible :thumb

Ronno not sure if your riding skills are up to this ;) I wouldn't even think of trying it with the 1150 I will be riding a f650 cheers :thumb

fleetwood said:
Ronno not sure if your riding skills are up to this ;) I wouldn't even think of trying it with the 1150 I will be riding a f650 cheers :thumb

Fleetwood, I take it that you know the area and have ridden all/part of the route?

I'll take your advice and give it a very tantative look. I've dropped my bike enough times without being daft and taking her places I shouldnae. I'll play it by ear. Thing is, I could stick to the tarmac and just meet yous at the start/end of your run. Plenty good places in that area for a wee run aboot on roads.

You're asking for trouble. It's too busy in there with walkers, cyclists and horse riders. And I think it still belong to the FC ... there's press releases about Tentsmuir as late as Sept 06 on their site.

bgfinlay said:
You're asking for trouble. It's too busy in there with walkers, cyclists and horse riders. And I think it still belong to the FC ... there's press releases about Tentsmuir as late as Sept 06 on their site.

Echo that, this has been covered in the past and at that time the FC had rangers patrolling the area which is a shame as it is ideal for mild off road.

another short hop used to be the East Lomond track crossing the Lesslie Falkland road onto the West Lomond track,now with barriers. Did them with solo and sidecars.
The wee hillfoots road from Strathmiglo to Balgedie again was a track but now tarred except for (I think still) the burn crossing near the old sanitorium.Balgedie area now heavily built up so mind trhe noise!

Come on guys Tentsmuir is meant for walking, cycling and horseriding. Its very busy and people go there for peace and quite and won't be impressed by some lumbering bike riding past them, however responsible you may be. Its also (unlike most FC forests) good for all sorts of flora and fauna which any motorised use will disturb and ultimately de-value. Both the FC and fife council rangers patrol the place regularly (I know them both) riding a large road bike with a registration plate clearly displayed on the back is going to get you done. The Police will give you an ASBO and may take your bike off you.

There is enough bad press around about riding motorbikes off-road without us lot adding to it. There is a good track from Abernethy to Strathmiglo through Pitmedden forest - still listed as a public road and vehicle use is allowed.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom