HUGHENDEN M40 given up BMW franchise

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had it confirmed today that Hughenden are foregoing the BMW franchise for some reason. Lost it or gave it up, I do not know.

Anybody know more?

Keep an eye out for clearance of BMW stock in the near future.

Well, I think its a shame. I've always got on well with them over the last 13 or so years.

The new dealer is going to be North Oxford Garages. Currently just a BMW car dealer in Summertown but building new premises on the A34/A40 roundabout.

I'm sure it will be very flash and in keeping with the BMW corporate image.

Paul

I agree with Paul.
It's allways a shame when a company with so much experience gives up a franchise. I have known and delt with the guys and gals at Hughenden for many more years than i care to remember and never had a problem.
From what they told me earlier in the year it was BMW'S unrealistic demands that caused them to split. This i can understand as it is going on a lot at present with many of the "major" brands !
The new dealership will be just another bland corperate showcase with bikes taking second place to the cars and with little or no knowledge,enthusiasm or experience.

Sorry for the rant but it just seems a shame.
Dorian.

I prefer the BMW corporate image which includes manners and service (yes I know there are exceptions) to a 1950's style dealership that only grudingly sell bikes and can't read a service book, if indeed they had one.

Some of the personalities in there were OK and some definately weren't but after my last service (the wrong one for the mileage) I pledged never to go back.

I hope Triumph and CCM follow suit, I for one no longer accept shit service from anyone, esp when there are other options

Hughenden M40

When do they give up the franchise then?
The reason I ask is that they have my deposit on a new GS which I expect to pick up on 1st Sept, certainly they have not mentioned anything during my dealings with them.

When do they give up the franchise then?

I believe the official date is 1 September.

Mike has now sold up and the business has been bought (wef from 1.9.03 as well I think) by a former director of On yer Triumph. They are going to continue servicing BMW's for the time being.

But I think I might give Mark and Andy a go down at Didcot.

(if I don't succumb to the new GS).....Hey, I know new models need a year or two to sort out but someone's got to do the development work for all you sensible people who wait.

Paul

When a dealer loses a franchise and continues to trade they are normally given a fixed grace period when their workshop is recognised as an approved service center.

On the point of a joint car/bike franchise I can say that this system seems to work in Cardiff. The bike dept has a separate entrance to the car dept. However, this does not stop bikers wandering around the posh cars and eating the car salesmens' cakes.

I spoke to Adam at Hughenden today and he says that my bike will be ready for collection on 1st Sept and that they can continue to service it & carry out warrenty work for the forseable future.
It is a shame that they are leaving the BMW franchise but I just wish they had mentioned this to me when I ordered the bike!

Re: When do they give up the franchise then?

But I think I might give Mark and Andy a go down at Didcot.

Paul [/B]

Who they then? Good for 1150GS are they?

Shug

Its Official

Got an official letter from Hughenden this morning saying they were giving up the franchise - however they will still be doing servicing and can get you a bike with a 2 year warranty. The new official dealer will be North Oxford Garage - car wallahs. Hey ho!

This is all a bit of a pity really as they did a brilliant job for me on both the GS and the Daytona

I also used the guys in Didcot a few years ago for work on an R80 RT and they were pretty good and reasonably priced - all depends if you want the stamps in the book or not.

Paul

Who they then?

"They" are Andy and Mark and were long standing mechanics at Hughenden (& v. good) then left to set up their own business a few years ago. After a fire which gutted there place, they are now (I believe) going great guns.

Premier Bikes, Didcot.

Paul

Premier Bikes

As above, Andy and Mark looked after the 2 K's that I owned prior to buying a GS, good service and and a good trade in when buying the second K from them. They also do MOT's, tyre fitting, s'hand bikes etc.

Mike

:) :)

Re: Premier Bikes

Mike Saunders said:
As above, Andy and Mark looked after the 2 K's that I owned prior to buying a GS, good service and and a good trade in when buying the second K from them. They also do MOT's, tyre fitting, s'hand bikes etc.

Mike

:) :)
I used them for servicing on my R1100R before I bought the GS - no complaints - they were good lads. Labour rates approx half those of yer average Beemer dealer.

Not sure if to take the 1150 GS there while it's under main dealer warranty, but sorely tempted given that Vines labour rates are £55 hour and Premier are about £28 hour.

Any views on using non-franchise dealers for servicing whilst in (used bike) warranty ?

cheers

6X

REF HUGHENDEN M40

My one and only dealing with Hughenden was to ask for a test drive on a 1150GS, they told me they did not have one and said they did not know when or if they could get one.
There loss as Iam now the proud owner of one needless to say I would never ask Hughendon for a service or indeed anything els, I just hope our new local dealer to be will be much better.
Cheers jim.:beer: :beer: :beer:

Back
Top Bottom