HP2 battery - Odyssey Replacement

(RIP) philgunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
has anyone been able to replace the standard battery on the hp with something with a bit more poke like a Odyssey PC525, I always get the impression that the bike is just about able to start with the standard battery

Gunner

Agree, my battery has failed 2x now. I was diagnosed with a "f--ed up battery" just before xmas. Stock hasnt arrived yet, thanks BMW, but due to arrive today. This is my second battery. If it fails again, I'll be asking why?

Anyone else have battery problems or have I just been unlucky?

Agree, my battery has failed 2x now. I was diagnosed with a "f--ed up battery" just before xmas. Stock hasnt arrived yet, thanks BMW, but due to arrive today. This is my second battery. If it fails again, I'll be asking why?

Anyone else have battery problems or have I just been unlucky?

My battery is just able to start my HP2. Sometimes if I shut it off after riding and then try to start up right away it seems for sure it won't start. So far it has made it OK but it sure turns over reluctantly.

I have to charge it at least once a week in winter or it's a no go.

I know of 2 others here with the same issue. My dealer has just installed a battery from a R1200GS into one of the other HP2's with this issue. Apparantly it will fit but he had to take the shock off the bike to get it in.

Still waiting the results of this battery swap. If it works out well I will have them do the same for me.

Bario

Odyssey Battery -

I think i saw on this or ADV rider forum, where someone fitted a Odyssey PC525 Battery to a HP2 , but from reading the spec it looks too big, but if it could be got in there, it would give an extra 60% starting power ( I am told ) , so before I jump in, which I will probably do early next week, I was just looking for some confirmation.
by the Way the price in Euro's is 139.00 from a motor Factor based in Dublin

phil

Odyssey

Phil,

Got an Odyssey PC525 on order after the HP let me down and stranded me out on a trail last weekend (Again!).

Will let you know when I fit the thing. Will be in a weeks time though as I am away all next week.

I can't see that it won't fit - there is plenty of space around the standard battery, so much so that I don't understand why a larger standard battery is not fitted.
Odyssey is taller I think so a new clamp will prob be needed and the flasher relay moved ( If you still have it fitted ).

On another topic, was out fiding the Welsh trails with another guy on a HP2 last weekend and he could really ride the thing. He had fitted a Wilburs rear shock and fork springs and could not speak any more highly of the shock unit. He tried Ohlins and found it very harsh and not easy to 'dial-in'. Worth some thought - they are custom made to your wt. and riding style by the guys in Germany and delivered in 2 weeks. (Have just ordered a set for my 1200GSA).

Cheers, Rick.

I put a Odyssey 525 on my 1200GS. From what I've seen, the battery compartments look very similar on the two bikes, so it may well be possible on the HP2. If you search the 1200 forum you shoud find some pics I posted. As you say a longer strap would be needed, I'm cheap so I just heated the existing one and took some of the bends out of it :D

After a ride of 20 mls I stop for gas. After 4 minutes I want to start the HP2....no go. Not enough little power.

Its my 2nd HP2 batterie now and this one let me down several times already. So the Dealer will give me the 3rd batterie.
The HP2 has a 11Ah Batterie and the R1200GS has a 14Ah batterie, so 25 % more.
Its pretty simple. In the search for less weight BMW has gone just a little too far.
I'll go and look for a more powerfull batterie....

PC 525 Battery on a HP2

RickA , I done a mock up of the 525 Battery and it looks like it will foul the shock, if fitted to a HP , did you fit yours yet

Phil

HP2 Battery

Hi Phil,

Been away for the week, new battery should be waiting for me at work tomorrow so I will have a look within the next day or so.

Will post details of the fit as soon as I get into the job.

Cheers, Rick.

HP2 Battery - Odyssey

Tried fitting the new Odyssey today.

After stripping most of the back of the bike off to get access, looks like it won't fit.

The frame is too narrow at the top to allow the battery to slide down into the holder at the back of the airbox and the battery is too wide to insert from the back after the shock is removed.

The only other option, (apart from splitting the front half of the frame from the bike) is to 'trim' the battery. Sounds drastic but the Odyssey has thin plastic fins on the sides, which can be removed to aid fitting in a variety of bikes/locations. The battery, sold as a GS1200 fit, already has two fins cut off on each side. The top rim of the case could also be trimmed down without compromising the seal of the case.

Will think about this option tomorrow.

May well go for the "Kung Long" battery which is the same size as the standard but much better output and put the Odyssey on my 1200GSA.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers, Rick.

Wunderlich has the 535 model listed for the HP2.
5,2 kg W/D/H: 170mm/ 99mm/ 156mm.
art.nr. : 8200017

Rick what about PC545

Wunderlich has the 535 model listed for the HP2.
5,2 kg W/D/H: 170mm/ 99mm/ 156mm.
art.nr. : 8200017

I am just after making a mock up of a PC 545 and the dimensions are as follows

Len 177.8 (8mm wider than PC 535 )
Wide 85.6 9 about 14 mm skinnyier !
High 131.3 ( about 24mm shorter )
but if you look at the terminals , the battery is shorter/ lower where the terminals are

PC535 is 21 Amp http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc535.htm
PC545 is 18 amp http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545.htm
standard battery is 11 amp http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.asp:aidan

it might just be a runner , hope to get one tomorrow and try

Gunner http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/aidan.gif

Odyssey PC535

GrizzlyB - it is the PC535 that I have - and it won't fit !

Phil - the PC545 looks like the one to go for but I'm not going to spend another £70 + on more trial & error fitting - will leave that to you! Let me know how you go on & also where can you get one. Best price I can find is £71.53 delivered.

The Kung Long battery is 21AH, 880A/5sec (PC545 is listed at 545A for 5sec) and 440A/30sec - higher output than either Odyssey and is £39 delivered. Will see if that fits first I think. It is longer but slimmer and not as tall so it may work.

Cheers, Rick.

HP2 Kung Long Battery

Phil,

Kung Long model is the WP22-12NE, can be bought on e-bay, few 1200 GS'ers have bought without any probs.

After carefully measuring the battery tray, I have ordered one, should be here in a few days, will let you know how I go on.

Re. your post about header pipe, I believe GS1200 headers fit, should widen your search prospects considerably. You will be able to check this with Performance Parts in the uk - Remus & Akro importers (www.performanceparts-ltd.com).

Cheers, Rick.

Thanks Rick

Bought a PC545 and will be home tomorrow and let you know how it fits
My impression is it will

get back to you shortly

Phil

Odyssey Battery fitted to HP2 .......PC545

I have just got back in from Dublin and rushed to the bike to see if my recent purchase of a Odyssey PC545 Battery will fit ... and thanks be to god it does
you have to remove the shock to get it in, also the terminals are on the wrong side , so I now have the terminals against the Black Box/ Air box so hopefully i can now use the standard battery cables (Battery is reversed ). also got a Good deal from the Irish importer for Cash and it was in stock. I have enclosed some pictures of the installation and of the Rear Drive Shaft that I have replaced
Thanks for your help RickA and Mouse

Gunner

PS the balance of the photos are in the next post

Attachments

• DSCN1528.jpg
    DSCN1528.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • DSCN1529.jpg
    DSCN1529.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • DSCN1530.jpg
    DSCN1530.jpg