R100GS-PD Rear Light with LEDs

Sorry, but you misunderstand me. Is this an actual BMW part I can order from a BMW dealer as it is not illustrated nor shown as an alternative part?

Hi.

No, absolutely not a genuine OEM BMW part.

The LED panels were made up by Techno to be a perfect and direct replacement of the bulb/reflector.

I merely listed the BMW models that used this same tail light part to demonstrate to any body that might want to show interest in obtaining one.

As I posted previously, I would be prepared to make a batch.

I'm waiting to hear from Techno, as I assume that he has the design information - pcb CAD detail, led spec etc. I could use this directly via contacts in the electronic assembly industry....or again depending on Techno's response I could reverse engineer to come up with a set of design/specifications to allow manufacture. I have one of these fitted to my 80ST, so can copy this.

Hope we are on the same wavelength now:thumb

Reverse engineer it :rolleyes:
Took me 10 minutes to design one myself :hide

Thanks DR, we are. I don't care who is prepared to make one, but put me down for one anyway.

I made my own a few years ago now
Still working fine

Garry, do you have any details on here about your DIY LED? Looks quite doable with a little guidance on where to get stuff etc - my original NN panel has several defunct LEDs so I'd love to try and make a replacement...and I guess I could replace the 'blown' LEDs in original anyway..

By the way - nothing lasts for ever, the LEDS maynot fail like a conventional bulb, but the do eventually break down.Mine has no working number plate lights anymore (but there is sufficient spare 'red' to light it anyway).

The only two thinks I want to work all time on bike are:-

A loud horn for when I see something in front of me as last resort, and

a brite rear light in hope the arse behind sees me!

So worth having :)

Got the leds off ebay...Just get the brighest ones for sensible money
Then pick the risistors for the correct current
Think it cost about a tenner for the bits and enough leds to make 2 or 3 units

Hmm, They look good but at £87.27 plus postage (and 79.90euros) I'll put up with the standard rear light until a more sensibly priced UK version appears.:blast

Okay, so here is another option. Bulldust (John Olive) across at ADVrider has them for sale at AUD60+postage. At this stage he is selling thru a facebook group page 'Airhead BMW Motorcycle Riders'.

Box’a’bits;3631676 said:
Okay, so here is another option. Bulldust (John Olive) across at ADVrider has them for sale at AUD60+postage. At this stage he is selling thru a facebook group page 'Airhead BMW Motorcycle Riders'.

Ive got my name down for one of those. I was trying to sort out a combined postage with another UK buyer but he isnt interested. Anyone else up for combining if we order a few?

John ,
A Lovely bit of Work , but i notice on all the Others i have seen they make a black out Bracket [ for want of a better description] on the bottom row of lights
to illuminate the number plate . How does your do this .
I note GarryH,s one has the leds turned down .
see pic , and i cant see the price

Attachments

• imagethumb.jpg
    imagethumb.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 421
Yes it has 6 white LED's on the back to illuminate the number plate I will post a photo of the rear of the light soon. Price is $60 AUS plus shipping.

LED Tail Light

Received the LED tail light from Bulldust today, & have now fitted it.

P1010134.JPG
P1010138.JPG

The reason that I bought it was that the GS tail light is a single bulb, & it is often killed off by vibration. There is nothing to alert you to this, unless you physically check. In fact when I went to do a comparison photo, the bulb was burned out. The bulb holder was originally chromed to give a better reflection, but this has come off in places. The tail light is also not very bright.

P1010141.JPG
P1010149.JPG

The replacement unit replaces the bulb holder & the bulb, & sits in the stock tail light. It is very tidy. The metal stays push over the tail light plastic screw holders, so it is positively held in place, somewhat proud of the taillight base unit. There are white LEDs on the back of the unit, pointing downward, that comprise the registration plate light.

Installation is pretty much plug & play, except that the wiring is different to the colours of the standard GS loom. Not really an issue. Brown is ground, the black LED wring goes onto a dual coloured wire with black in it, which leaves one other wire to connect. I re-did the 90 degree connectors on the GS loom, basically so that I could cover them (they are bare copper, & given the wiring is not captive anymore on the plastic bulb holder, I didn’t want them shorting out anything if they moved.

P1010146.JPG

With the tail light / reflector screwed back in place, the light is way brighter than the stock unit. The brake light increases the intensity of all of the red LEDs. From the rear of the tail light, you can just make out the individual LEDs.

P1010160.JPG
P1010157.JPG

I am very pleased.

John
34 red and 6 white LEDs? You've been PayPal'd.
Paul

John Olive
I spoke to my daughter this evening - she's in Sydney - who said that the expected parcel had yet to arrive.
Regards
Paul

(Later) Oops, contact John via Facebook. Sorted.

Back
Top Bottom