Nav 5 map update

Mix in instructions that are wrong, followed by 'They work!'.... Followed by 'No wait a minute, no they don't there's an error in it' And the world can see why most IT departments are the laughing stock of the world.

Why not just write the lot out neatly and correctly once, check it again and post it here..... Screen prints (bods love pictures) are an optional extra....

I agree with you Wapping and I apologize for mixing up one file name.
Since 1993 I am playing around with Garmins and sometimes all the different needs and procedures to get them running jumbles also me up. Right now I am working on a Garmin Fenix watch and try to get the Maps on it running fast with the most details. That's a challenge! :)
Nevertheless, it is essential nowadays when trying to get electronic gadgets running to read the manual or to find explanations online.

Copied from ZUMOFORUMS.COM

I presume you have not gone onto Zumoforums then?. Here is a post made in 2010 based a Zumo 550 - and a lot of the stuff mentioned below is relevant to us all with Garmin Sat Navs, regardless of model numbers etc...

Lastly OP - ensure you have fully backed up the folder from your sat nav before you start deleting things. Easy to restore then :beerjug:

What files should I delete on my 550 to make more space for the maps?

GARMIN:Garmin/GUPDATE.GCD is the last firmware update source and can be backed up to your PC and deleted.

GARMIN:Garmin/gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.sum. If these files are on the Zumo and you didn't load some other type of maps, delete them. Do Not send map segments to the Zumo 550 unless you know they don't exist on the GPS. Normally the Maps the MapSource uses are all there.

GARMIN:Garmin/voice/keep english_american_.sum, english_american_.vpm, and one pair of [name].sum and .vpm files.

GARMIN:Garmin/vehicle/keep one or two .srf files

GARMIN:Garmin/text/keep one set of language triples.gtt (British_English.gtt, British_English_Gdnc.gtt, British_English_Trf.gtt)

GARMIN:Garmin/scrn/delete any screen captures or move them to your PC

GARMIN:Garmin/POI/poi.gpi and any other .gpi and .unl files in this folder can be backed up on your PC, deleted and restored after a map update, or rerun POI Loader on the current POI versions after a map update..

GARMIN:Garmin/mp3/delete all mp3s

GARMIN:Garmin/jpg/delete or more to PC all files

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Delete CURRENT.GPX after using MapSource to Receive from Device any tracks or routes you want to keep and remember to save the MapSource gdb file.

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Delete Temp.GPX as it is a copy of your last Send to Device. Delete any other GPX files here or move them to your PC

GARMIN:Garmin/GPX/Archive/Move to your PC any track archives you want to keep and delete all gpx files

GARMIN:Garmin/Docs/Move any files here to your PC

Hi Guys
May I ask very nicely if anybody would please post a list or picture of what files are supposed to be in what folder on the Navigator V, mainly the hidden "system" folder and in the Maps folder?

I have upgraded maps, but have now moved so many files around that I do not know what is supposed to be where anymore.

Thanks

Johann

Folder explanations

Here are some folder explanations, so you can delete some with more confidence. Its from http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42703 but remains totally relevant for any Garmin user.
Please take the time to read through it all - theres a lot here! Remember to backup all of your folder structure including hidden files BEFORE messing about!

Diag folder - used by Garmin, it stores debug infos

ExtData folder - ExtData folder – stores 006-D0952-01.bin, 006-D0952-02.bin, 006-D0952-03.bin, 006-D0952-04.bin, 006-D0952-05.bin, 006-D0952-06.bin, 006-D0952-07.bin, 006-D0952-08.bin files which contains special font for not alphabet languages likes Herbew, Thai, Arabic.

ExtData folder – also stores for some device with MTK chipset files ARC.BIN, BEE.BIN, 006-D1221-00.bin. 006-D1221-00.bin – GPS Chipset Type M HotFix Data software which updates by webupdater and ARC.BIN & BEE.BIN are files what stores current info for GPS software metioned above. See also post n.19 –Thanks AlexWhiter

GPX folder - stores your trip log.

Current.gpx = file created each time you connect your Nuvi to USB. Stores all current loaded routes and waypoints in the Nuvi.

Temp.gpx = stores all routes and waypoints :created for connecton from Mapsource to Nuvi
You can open the GPX files within this folder with Mapsource ( see post n 5 for more infos)

BTM folder - stores infos about your phonebook and a .wav file your unit run when a call is coming in your phone.

EULA folder - stores infos about licences (traffic,Navteq,nuRoute)

Help folder - stores help files in different languages.

Keyboards folder - contains Keyboard languages files ( .kbd files).

Reports folder - contains the mileage.csv , a file that will give you a summary of all of your trips, cost, etc. as part of the ecoRoute feature: it contains the following fields, Date (MM-DD-YYYY),Start Time,Origin Longitude,Origin Latitude,Destination Longitude,Destination Latitude,Origin,Destination,Distance (km), Time (min), Fuel Economy (l/100km), Fuel Cost (EUR), Carbon Footprint (kg).

Scores.bin is related to Overall : a combination of the speed acceleration and braking score and to Speed : gain points for driving at your vehicle's optimal speed for conserving fuel.

RoadSideAssist folder - stores infos about RoadSideAssist services (AA) and images for 'Where Am I' function.

JCV folder - stores Junction View files on models which support such a feature.

ASR folder - "SRX+ASR"/Voice recognition files (Automatic Speech Recognition).

G2S folder - G2S&.db :NüRoute technology&trafficTrends.

SID folder - Files are stored in 34xx and newer .System/ SID and are traffic trends ,instaSearch , instaAdresses and POIs and FastRouting related.

JPEG folder - stores Nuvi's default pictures and splash screens. You can add more jpg files into this folder.

POI folder - stores custom POI and travel guide files.Preloaded Cyclops.gpi = trial version of Garmin's speedcams subscription. All these files have .GPI extensions. It is ok to delete these
files if you are sure you don't want them.

RemoteSW folder - Files stored in RemoteSW folder are the microcodes for appropriate chipset installed in your nuvi. Firmware upgrade checks at start if the version is to flash < version on disk – then upgrade it. It is an upgradeable code. (GCD, BIN & SUM) The first.GCD is the original firmware. The other file is the new firmware that the unit has installed- It contains also Touch Panel Software(006B121100.GCD: This file is for Touch Panel Software in 37xx series). Firmware for GTM receiver is in RemoteSW too. Nuvi creates an info entry about it in file GarminGarminDevice.xml.

Scrn folder - stores your screen capture images. The files are in bitmap (BMP) format and could be opened with Windows Paint application. Filenames: 2343.bpm (example. The numbering seems to be random)

Text folder - stores default and custom messages and keyboard layouts. These are text files with .GTT extensions: additional language versions text files. You can edit them with a text editor.If American English is selected, no other translation file is necessary since this language is embedded in the unit firmware.

Dashboards folder -stores new DASHBOARDS designs introduced in 34xx models.

Vehicle folder - stores Garmin vehicle icons. Files are with .SRF extension. You can add and delete these files.You can download them at
userdata - technical archive, dont delete.

Voice folder - stores Garmin voice guidance files. Files are with .VPM extension. You can delete unused voice files, but do it with care.
Filenames like:Afrikaans_.vmp are normal voices that do not speak streetnames
Filenames like:Nederlands_Claire.vmp are TTS (text-to-speach) voices that do speak streetnames

Birdseye folder - stores Garmin maps made by using BirdsEye Satellite Imagery in .jnx format.

Themes folder - stores .kmtf extension files. They are just text files, so you can create your own:you could change the color of lakes, parks, shopping centers and other polygon areas.

SQLite folder - It stores .db files : Traffic trends, ecoRoute,myTrends and some user's strings. To read these files you can use a SQLite client .

SQL folder - it contains SQL/DB-file "Trail Database" for outdoor devices activities.
It displays special routes or information depending on the activity chosen by the user, differentiating between pedestrian activity cycling activity, hiking etc : Active Routing feature in new Garmin Topo maps PRO.

Logs folder - stores files concerning track logging feature.

Demo folder - can store demo.gir file .It contains some images for the demo sequence.

GPS folder - stores ARC.BIN , BEE.BIN etc files used by webupdater.It contains also rxn folder.Inside eph,poly and seed folders, probably Ephemeris prediction related.

Custom maps folder - stores custom maps made eg. with Google Earth in .kmz format.

Custom Symbols folder - stores waypoints symbols you can create and add in your outdoor gps.

Profiles folder - stores profiles and profiles settings in outdoor gps. You can choose different ones.
among automotive ,classic, marine etc each one with different settings: selected maps to be shown in choosen profile etc.

Filters folder - Geocache data.

Audible folder -audio books.

MP3 folder- Mp3 audio files.

Video folder- Video files:3xxx&2xxx series supported video formats are:
.avi, .mp4 (H.264 video codec only!), AAC audio codec (48000 Hz, 16 bit), resolution up to 720*480.
.asf (WMV1, WMV2, WMV3 video codec), MSAudio1, MSAudio2, MSAudio3 audio codec (48000 Hz, 16 bit), resolution up to 720*480.
.wmv (WMV video codec), wma audio codec, resolution up to 720*480

fs_image.ver -Technical file.

GarminDevice.xml - stores information about your Nuvi to facilitate transfer of data to/from your unit. It is recreated each time the device starts. The firmware never reads from it but only writes to it.

Trips- This is for trip planner files.You can back up this folder. (All files in this folder will be deleted when you do an hard reset.)

FCD- FCD (Floating Car Data), constantly evaluates information about the traffic situation and sends a control center, data are automatically analyzed and sent to TMC-compatible devices.

gmapbmap.img - Garmin base map (worldwide map) cannot deselect it.

gmapbmap.sum -check-sum file, mapupdate related, can be deleted.

gmapoem.img -Additional map for specific branded units such as Honda and BMW,it doesn't show up in the map inventory, cannot deselect it.

gmapprom.img - Garmin detailed map (preloaded). Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.

gmapprom1.img -Another Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.

gmapprom.sum -check-sum file, mapupdate related, can be deleted.

gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin supplementary maps.

*.unl - Unlock code files for Garmin maps.

gmaptz.img - Garmin time zone map.Contains Timezones of different cities/countries for selecting the right timezone by the device based on the location.

gmaptz.sum -check-sum file, mapupdate related, can be deleted.

gmapdem.img - Garmin DEM (digital elevation model) It displays contours on compatible devices.

gmap3d.img - Garmin 3D buildings map.

gmap3d1.img - 2nd Garmin 3D buildings map.

GUPDATE.GCD - Used for Garmin firmware update.

GtmData.xml -It stores infos about Traffic receiver: ID and last connection date.

Locales.xml - It stores default language, currency sign, time zone, etc settings for different countries.

*.Gma -Garmin new protection digital certificate. Only the legitimate buyer of a Garmin map product license will receive the GMA file connected to his/her GPS unit. That's implemented
for maps with mapid >= 2200.

Garmintriangletm.ico - it's the icon will appear on myComputer when you'll attach your outdoor gps.

Nuvi_drive.ico - it's the icon will appear on myComputer when you'll attach your Nuvi USB.

Startup.txt - Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on.

*.sum - files left by updater: can be deleted.

TrafficProvider.xml - It stores infos about your traffic providers subscriptions (Nuvi 1xxx and 37xx series etc.)

sw.unl - unlock code file for phones Garmin MobileXT application

I had this reponse from Garmin this AM.
You can free up space on your device by deleting voice files, text files, help files, vehicle icons and JPEG pictures.
Before you start please ensure you have the device connected to the computer via a USB cable and then please follow the steps below.
Windows:
1. Click start
2. Click on Computer
3. Open the garmin drive
4. Open the garmin folder (Some devices can skip this step)
5. Open the Voice, Text, Help, Vehicle, or JPEG folder
6. Click on the languages that you do not use and delete
7. Press the Delete key on your computer keyboard
8. You may be prompted to confirm that you want to delete the file
9. Select Yes to confirm
10. Now complete steps 6 to 9 for the remaining folders

Well I've done that & it's freed up virtually beggar all.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens next time I try to update the map.

-switch on Nav 5
-click on volume button (you'll enter main volume setting screen)
-push with your finger the upper right corner of the touchscreen for 10 seconds
-in the appearing menu scroll down to MTP settings, enter that menu and mark "Mass Storage"!
-get out of that menu
-connect Nav 5 to PC or Mac
-go to your system preferences and make invisible files (system files) visible
-see/find folder ".System"
-delete <strike>gmapsupp.img</strike> "gmapprom.img" out of that folder (this is the first map the Nav 5 was delivered with)

regards

Andreas

Edited at poster's request - GM

Garmin Express was saying my Nav V was 99% full. So I copied the following folders onto the hard drive of my computer then deleted them from the Nav V:
BaseCamp
Owners Manual
Voice (didnt delete the folder, just all the ones in the folder that were not English.)

Garmin Express still said 99% full, so I copied the gmapprom.img file to my hard drive and deleted it.

I then tried to use Garmin Express to install the map update. It does not complete the update but reports an error installling the update.

When I try to copy the gmapprom.img file back it fails because there is not enough room in the Nav V.

Is my Nav V now useless? How do I get it working again.

Help needed please.

I suppose that - prior to your deletion and moving fun and games - you put in a micro SD card to boost the device's memory capacity and / or if you had, that you'd tried again with a fresh SD card of a decent capacity?

Wishing to avoid turning an expensive GPS device into a plastic brick, I have never mucked about moving or deleting files unless I was VERY sure what I was doing. I am guessing that when you moved / deleted the files, you left behind a 'hole' (that maybe cannot be filled) the same size as the file you have removed; so you've not made any saving at all.

Lots of people manage to update their maps on the Nav V and other devices without any problems, using Macs and conventional Windows based computers. Others think it's better to delete files and muck about. Welcome to the world of mucking about with a £400 (or more) GPS device.

If the device is still under warranty, take it back to BMW and just forget to tell them that you've sought to improve it. If it's out of warranty, contact Garmin and fess us. For about £100 they'll probably mend it for you / offer an exchange. They might even help you over the phone

Strangely my Mac did have problems updating my maps on the Nav V as it was short of space. There is a 1GB card in. Strange as I have not added any music photos or any other files. I know its another debate, but is it really acceptable that Garmin prodice a device that is so short of memory it won't update without problems?

Please explain this;
I am guessing that when you moved / deleted the files, you left behind a 'hole' (that cannot be filled) the same size as the file you have removed; so you've not made any saving at all.
Normally when I delete files from memory, it increases the amount of available space.

I've not bricked the device. I could in the install remove a lot of the maps of Eastern Europe etc that I dont use. and make the install file small enough but I would rather do a full install.

With reference to putting your deleted gmapprom.img back on to the device was this after your aborted download and if so did you go back into the device to check if the garmin download had put any files in there that had decreased the available space. when removing any files from a garmin unit it is always recomended to do a full backup beforehand, or at least keep the files you remove safe, and also take a screen shot of the drive for reference that way you can compare difference's. It has been said before, by using a sd card of a reasonable size and good quality it will sort the problem of not enough space, say 16gb or 32gb in size. Should this be necessary on a unit of this quality and expense, that is debatable but for a few £££ more that a decent 16gb card will cost it really is not that much of an issue.
I would imagine that somewhere the garmin download has inserted files that are probably temp files or the likes because of the incomplete download, find and remove them and this should free up space allowing you to put the gmapprom.img back on to the device and then all should be good, but be carefull not to delete important files, or at least make a backup of them beforehand. if you can post a screen shot of your complete drive this would maybe help to see whats there that should not be. I also think that garmin need to see the gmapprom.img to know what it needs to install.

From memory, when updating the maps there is a prompt that tells you if there is not sufficient memory space. Again from memory, there is then a prompt that says:

Load less map area (you seem to be doing that?)

OR

Put in a suitable SD card. The prompt then gives a minimum size; which - I am near enough sure - is bigger than 1 gb.

With reference to putting your deleted gmapprom.img back on to the device was this after your aborted download and if so did you go back into the device to check if the garmin download had put any files in there that had decreased the available space. when removing any files from a garmin unit it is always recomended to do a full backup beforehand, or at least keep the files you remove safe, and also take a screen shot of the drive for reference that way you can compare difference's. It has been said before, by using a sd card of a reasonable size and good quality it will sort the problem of not enough space, say 16gb or 32gb in size. Should this be necessary on a unit of this quality and expense, that is debatable but for a few £££ more that a decent 16gb card will cost it really is not that much of an issue.
I would imagine that somewhere the garmin download has inserted files that are probably temp files or the likes because of the incomplete download, find and remove them and this should free up space allowing you to put the gmapprom.img back on to the device and then all should be good, but be carefull not to delete important files, or at least make a backup of them beforehand. if you can post a screen shot of your complete drive this would maybe help to see whats there that should not be. I also think that garmin need to see the gmapprom.img to know what it needs to install.

Thanks for the reply. I think it was after the download was aborted, but not 100% sure. I will get a decent 32GB class 10 SDHC card tomorrow. I did save the files I removed and made a note of where they came from, expecting i would be able to copy them back. Before starting it was saying 99% full.

I have now installed part of Europe maps. Just kept unselecting from the east until the file size was small enough to install.

I cant get a photo link to display on here but this is a screenshot:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...n Shot 2016-05-15 at 18.31.20_zps62f8fldw.png

Thanks again.

From memory, when updating the maps there is a prompt that tells you if there is not sufficient memory space. Again from memory, there is then a prompt that says:

Load less map area (you seem to be doing that?)

OR

Put in a suitable SD card. The prompt then gives a minimum size; which - I am near enough sure - is bigger than 1 gb.

Thanks. I got that prompt originally, thats why I decided to try to make some free space. But after I removed some of the language files, the user guides, voices and the .img file I did not get the prompt, just the failed install.
I have got less map area loaded by doing it manually.

Thanks again.

Lesson 1. When receiving a prompt to install an SD card of a certain minimum size, ignore any urge to delete files to create space and install a suitably sized and correctly formatted card instead.

Ok taking a look at your screen shot,and going by the free space left, i would say you have most if not all maps in there cant tell for sure as it must be hidden in the map folder. you would need to expand all folders, i will take a guess that the 3d image will be in there as well, this gives you your 3d imagery in cities and special items of interest, the JCV folder will contain your junction view and lane assist info,that is a reasonably large file. good to see you have not deleted any of the .gma files or the .unl files as these are critical. i would say that when you have your sd card sorted it should update with no problem.

Lesson 1. When receiving a prompt to install an SD card of a certain minimum size, ignore any urge to delete files to create space and install a suitably sized and correctly formatted card instead.

To be honest I'm not sure it told me to install an SD card, I think it just said not enough memory, as I had a card in, although a bit small.

Ok taking a look at your screen shot,and going by the free space left, i would say you have most if not all maps in there cant tell for sure as it must be hidden in the map folder. you would need to expand all folders, i will take a guess that the 3d image will be in there as well, this gives you your 3d imagery in cities and special items of interest, the JCV folder will contain your junction view and lane assist info,that is a reasonably large file. good to see you have not deleted any of the .gma files or the .unl files as these are critical. i would say that when you have your sd card sorted it should update with no problem.

I have taken another screen shot, with the map folder expanded.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...n Shot 2016-05-15 at 22.10.55_zps6cuyorht.png
The JCV folder appears to be empty - I haven't deleted anything from there though.

This is a screen shot of anything I removed:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...n Shot 2016-05-15 at 22.16.01_zpsz96byktv.png

Thank you again for all your help, it really is very much appreciated.

Edit: this is what is on the SD card:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/...n Shot 2016-05-15 at 22.20.07_zpsmdlqteke.png

on the image of removed files the gmapprom.img is your main map file, the one in the expanded map folder called city navigator ntu 2017.img is also a map image but looking at the size of it compared to the deleted one i would say it is not a complete europe map 4gb vs 2.2gb. i dont see a gmap3d.img anywhere and you say the JCV folder is empty, that seems odd but it would not stop the unit from working or downloading, in fact it would give you more space as they are largish files. when you have your new card remove the small one and replace with the new one formated correctly connect it to your mac and run express it should show available update or reinstal update, not sure on a mac but there should be an advanced setting to save to pc and device make sure you choose that, sit back and let it run,some people have said they have had an issue with express and their macs giving errors and not installing the maps, i can not comment on this as i dont have a mac, but unless it flags up an error let it run till it is finished, and i would advise against doing the update over a wireless connection, plug into the router or network via a cable.

Back
Top Bottom