New GS, new project, where to start?

Opinions please - cosmetic changes

I wanted to post a couple of pictures of what I am intending to do to my GS over the next few months. I find I work better with a plan, rather than winging it.

It is nothing fancy, just a bit of fettling here and there. I am planning to vinyl wrap the silver paintwork in gloss white, black hammerite the front engine cover, fork legs and fork clamp and re-cover the (damaged) seat and pillion.

I would appreciate any constructive feedback on what I am attempting, or if a different colour combo might work better.

It's as much for the opportunity to tinker and learn to vinyl wrap as it is for the cosmetics.

TODAY
IMG_3474_zps09bb18a7.jpg

NEAR FUTURE
IMG_3473_zpse341f76f.jpg

IMG_3476a_zps4176f118.jpg

WITH PANNIERS
47a9e11e-2396-4d9f-8d7f-cd4a44a8611d_zpsd01b3323.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go for a white beak extender and console cover. Clear lenses would look good too. I think you need either a strong blue or red on the seat or something to prevent it becoming very mono using all shades with no colour might look a bit drab.

I think black engine and gearboxs look good but that's a major amount of work. Black heads perhaps?

I'd go for a white beak extender and console cover. Clear lenses would look good too. I think you need either a strong blue or red on the seat or something to prevent it becoming very mono using all shades with no colour might look a bit drab.

I think black engine and gearboxs look good but that's a major amount of work. Black heads perhaps?

Clear lenses - good idea!

Painting the engine, hmmm, I did think about it - it all depends how much work is involved once the subframe is off. I do want to address the corrosion on the bike (the silver coating is lifting away in chunks). But I can't decide whether to make small fixes, or just do the whole lot at once.

Anyway, here is another colour scheme that might work.

ScreenShot2014-07-14at163210_zpsf089aab9.png

IMG_3476b_zps22c14553.jpg

In pic 2 that's looking something like what I was thinking. On the seat the later white adv's have a blue and grey seat if you used one of those I think that would be enough. Imo I'm not seeing the relevance of the yellow unless you picked out other highlights such as the beak extender and headlight cowl in the same yellow as the seat?

Great idea about the wrap, it`ll be cheap to do and easy to change. Keep us up to date with some pics of the work :D I like seeing older bikes get the care to bring them back up to being a loved machine again :clap

Well, I was not able to heed the sensible advice offered to me earlier this year and I have torn the bike down in an attempt to fettle and refurb the lifting paint on the engine and gear box.

Taking all the bits off the bike was a piece of cake, it's a well designed bit of kit and everything that was steel into steel, was MOSTLY easy to work with and not seized.

Cosequently, it only took a couple of hours to get the bike from being perfectly fine, to this.
IMG_3720_zpsa074c840.jpg

Once I had the subframe off, that and all the other bits like bash plates etc, went to the powder coaters. In the end it only cost £80 to get all the bits done in Satin Black, which is quite reasonable. They look spanking too!

The big job, and it still aint finished is the engine and gearbox cosmetic refurb. I stripped off as much of the old and flaking BMW paint as I could and I sanded everything as smooth as I could. This engine is a bugger of a shape to work with.

Before:
IMG_3594_zps7643174a.jpg

btw Nitromors is rubbish, try VHT 'Strip Fast' - VERY potent stuff.

After a bit of work, I have painted the cylinder heads, front case, fork bottoms, fork brace and wishbone in VHT 'Black Pearl' and the engine casing in Hammerite Smooth Silver. (I'm hoping the Hammerite silver will soften a little with time).

After:
IMG_3812_zpse3aa2bfe.jpg

When I get another free weekend, I'll attach the subframe and front end and get the bike mobile again. That will let me sort out the gearbox and centre stand.

So far, the budget is still under £200 for the refurb. I am hoping to do it all for £250.

Looks like a very good job so far. Keep the pictures coming I think we all like these threads. :thumby:

Having seen what you did with your Harley in looking forward to seeing the end result of this. Looking good so far.

Hi Everybody,

I have been alternating between lazy bugger and very busy over the last four months. I don't have a lot left to do on my rebuild, but the bit that is giving me the most grief is routing the wiring loom around the frame.

Does anybody have photos of the wiring loom in situ (with the petrol tank removed)?

I'm looking to see how the connectors bundle together by the front shock absorber and how I can route the wiring back to the relay box without it being tight.

I have the repair manual, but some photos would be helpful.

ScreenShot2015-01-04at105615_zps0ebfbb20.png

Thanks!

Yeah it's hit and miss with loom, I'm nearly finish 1100rt and pain in a** have to take parts on and off 10 times I can email rt pictures if help

Still need photos? I took some crappy cellphone shots of my 2003 1150gs when I had the tank off yesterday doing some servicing, happy to try and link them here if somebody cares...

Still need photos? I took some crappy cellphone shots of my 2003 1150gs when I had the tank off yesterday doing some servicing, happy to try and link them here if somebody cares...

Not bothered about that, but if you fancy giving me a hand next week to do my brake lines I'd appreciate it. :augie

Us southerners should stick together :thumb

Sounds like a plan, but don't get too excited about my extensive technical skills just because I figured out how to take the tank off! I should get round to resubscribing so we can PM details. But in case I don't, we'll work something out anyway.

looks like mine but

Hi
have read your post and was wondering if any of you guys can help with a ill gs1150.
its an 03 r1150gs which i have just purchased. When i viewed it it started and ran ok when i went to collect it it started and ran ok. Used a van to get it home and now it starts runs for a minute or so if kept on fast idle then stalls and will not start till fully cold and bettery recharged.
have checked plugs, injectors and valve clearances now i am stuck any thoughts would be appreciated or a local specalist to wolverhampton.

Hi
have read your post and was wondering if any of you guys can help with a ill gs1150.
its an 03 r1150gs which i have just purchased. When i viewed it it started and ran ok when i went to collect it it started and ran ok. Used a van to get it home and now it starts runs for a minute or so if kept on fast idle then stalls and will not start till fully cold and bettery recharged.
have checked plugs, injectors and valve clearances now i am stuck any thoughts would be appreciated or a local specalist to wolverhampton.
You will get a better response to your specific issue by posting a new thread stating what happening.
Welcome to the forum.:thumb
BTW Don't let the bike idle at a standstill for long unless you have a fan blowing on the motor keeping it cool.

Back
Top Bottom