1250 it is !

Status
Not open for further replies.
......I can take a joke a bit of piss take but you are like water torture , relentless and pointless to the real world , .......

Have you ever met Andres? I somehow doubt it. I have, he's a thoroughly decent man who you would probably rate as a good friend within minutes of meeting him. He's flawed of course but aren't we all, even though he like KTM's and sidecars at least he has the good taste to love Guzzi's too:D

Can Gilles better that, calling Gilles

Ha ha ...

I just spotted this so .... sigh .... here's my tuppence worth to the whole conversation ....

Firstly .... I say again (bang on and on about it) .... go and test ride different bikes!! There are a few peeps on here ranting how their GS is the best bike ever down a road - even a back b road ... and that nothing will ever touch it.
The GS is a great bike, especially down a bumpy back road. Yes ... it is ... Great bike.

But .... you think there aren't other brilliant bikes out there? You want a race down that back B road ?? I'll race yer ... I'll probably be on a 690 SMC or something like that and sorry .... I'll whup yer arse!!

A road? You want a race on one of those? yer think yer GS is going to keep up with a Blade or a Gixxer or an R1 ?
Aprillia Mille ??
Some of you GS blokes have maybe never owned serious sports bikes?? Or at least not ridden them recently? Or you have, but you're not at ease on them and at one with them ?? I have given Engineer a hard time about this before! You may think your GS is fahking fast (as Rossi once said on a live interview), but trust me, compared to 2018 sports bikes it's not! You won't see any GS's at the TT !!!

Secondly, I say .... yeah, I'm a sucker for big BHP. Some have commented that small bikes that you have to work hard are better fun (my Heyday in my early twenties was RGV250's, RSV 250's ... ) and yes I agree with that completely. But for me, the beauty of big BHP is lazy power which I quite like. My RT at work? That gets regularly thrashed. Regular throttle stop and wait for the engine to catch up. The peepes who manage the fleet would argue 'why do you need a vehicle that does 160 ... 170. 130 is plenty fast enough isn't it ..?' And we say ... 'Because at 130 its working fucking hard and is stressed!. I Did an urgent forensic dispatch / evidence run the other day to liverpool. Kent to Liverpool and back!! Did the RT work hard all the way up? You bet it did! .... and then you lot want to buy them afterwards ... :blast But would a 170mph bike work hard at 130? No .... it would eat that up all day and not even break sweat.

Back to reality and the real world of within the law (ish), and the same basic rule applies. Big BHP bikes work very comfortably and yes, you may not use all that power, but it also means your bike doesn't ever break sweat. Do I ever hit the throttle stop on my 1290S and wait for the engine to catch up ? Not often ... and thats probably because I don't want to trash my rear tyre more than anything else. Do I want more BHP? yeah Id have more! Of course!

The other regular comment here is that on the road (junctions, oncoming, traffic, islands hatching etc etc) you can only go so fast and that is one bike going to get away from another (1290S V GS ??). And the reality is that with that sort of match then no ... there's really not much in it. A long straight might see one getting away from another by a few yards but other than that they're going to be pretty level pegged. But you start pitching my RT against an R1 ... forget it! Doesn't matter how skilled you are, you'd have to put a flipping muppet on the R1 to keep up with it! So if you're writing "I, on my 1150 GS can keep up with my mates on their Blades ... ' then your mates don't know how to ride a bike!

I'd welcome more BHP on the GS ...

:beerjug:

Can't argue with that........but then time will tell........there's always one :blagblah:rolleyes::D

I was at BMW ORS yesterday, talking to one of the instructers whos actually seen the new BMW 2019 GS.

He didn't say much, and he hadn't ridden it yet, but he was big smiles over it. Said it looked really nice and were all going to want one.

He did hear it running and it doesn't sound like our bikes, more of a sporty note. Sounded good apparently.

Lot more tech onboard but didn't say any more.

Oh and I rode a GS Rallye down a very steep gully today and binned it. After laying in the dirt for a minute wiggling my toes, I scrabbled back up the hill and my bike (what was left of it) was wedged in a blackberry bush rear wheel skywards. Was an interesting recovery moment, scratching our heads on how we get it out.

Thank god for my neck brace, and haha, erm... those bikes take a bashing... sorry ORS

Oh, and sorry for binning it on the steep downhill slalom and the steep uphill standing start. But at least I had a good go at it.

Erm, did I say these bikes take a bashing....

Ha ha ...

I just spotted this so .... sigh .... here's my tuppence worth to the whole conversation ....

Firstly .... I say again (bang on and on about it) .... go and test ride different bikes!! There are a few peeps on here ranting how their GS is the best bike ever down a road - even a back b road ... and that nothing will ever touch it.
The GS is a great bike, especially down a bumpy back road. Yes ... it is ... Great bike.

But .... you think there aren't other brilliant bikes out there? You want a race down that back B road ?? I'll race yer ... I'll probably be on a 690 SMC or something like that and sorry .... I'll whup yer arse!!

A road? You want a race on one of those? yer think yer GS is going to keep up with a Blade or a Gixxer or an R1 ?
Aprillia Mille ??
Some of you GS blokes have maybe never owned serious sports bikes?? Or at least not ridden them recently? Or you have, but you're not at ease on them and at one with them ?? I have given Engineer a hard time about this before! You may think your GS is fahking fast (as Rossi once said on a live interview), but trust me, compared to 2018 sports bikes it's not! You won't see any GS's at the TT !!!

Secondly, I say .... yeah, I'm a sucker for big BHP. Some have commented that small bikes that you have to work hard are better fun (my Heyday in my early twenties was RGV250's, RSV 250's ... ) and yes I agree with that completely. But for me, the beauty of big BHP is lazy power which I quite like. My RT at work? That gets regularly thrashed. Regular throttle stop and wait for the engine to catch up. The peepes who manage the fleet would argue 'why do you need a vehicle that does 160 ... 170. 130 is plenty fast enough isn't it ..?' And we say ... 'Because at 130 its working fucking hard and is stressed!. I Did an urgent forensic dispatch / evidence run the other day to liverpool. Kent to Liverpool and back!! Did the RT work hard all the way up? You bet it did! .... and then you lot want to buy them afterwards ... :blast But would a 170mph bike work hard at 130? No .... it would eat that up all day and not even break sweat.

Back to reality and the real world of within the law (ish), and the same basic rule applies. Big BHP bikes work very comfortably and yes, you may not use all that power, but it also means your bike doesn't ever break sweat. Do I ever hit the throttle stop on my 1290S and wait for the engine to catch up ? Not often ... and thats probably because I don't want to trash my rear tyre more than anything else. Do I want more BHP? yeah Id have more! Of course!

The other regular comment here is that on the road (junctions, oncoming, traffic, islands hatching etc etc) you can only go so fast and that is one bike going to get away from another (1290S V GS ??). And the reality is that with that sort of match then no ... there's really not much in it. A long straight might see one getting away from another by a few yards but other than that they're going to be pretty level pegged. But you start pitching my RT against an R1 ... forget it! Doesn't matter how skilled you are, you'd have to put a flipping muppet on the R1 to keep up with it! So if you're writing "I, on my 1150 GS can keep up with my mates on their Blades ... ' then your mates don't know how to ride a bike!

I'd welcome more BHP on the GS ...

:beerjug:

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that, but a lot depends on how many bikes you can own and what you want to do with them. I have a GS for touring and off-road and Street Triple RS for the track and short Sunday blast. The GS wouldn’t keep up on track (or road if pushing hard) but then the Street Triple wouldn’t keep up on a rocky trail. I don’t yearn for more power on either bike really as I find it rewarding trying to get the most out of what I have (in fact rye Street Triple was a replacement for an S1000RR), but I also don’t think a bit extra will harm the GS. If I had to have just one bike I’d probably be tempted by the new KTM 790 Adventure.

I was at BMW ORS yesterday, talking to one of the instructers whos actually seen the new BMW 2019 GS.

He didn't say much, and he hadn't ridden it yet, but he was big smiles over it. Said it looked really nice and were all going to want one.

He did hear it running and it doesn't sound like our bikes, more of a sporty note. Sounded good apparently.

Sneak preview.Certainly looks a bit lighter and that touring seat should be comfy.......

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FXTvideo%2Fvideos%2F10155860783726871%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Meanwhile, Boxofbollox puts all that hot air to good use....

Whenever I read a post by Boxerlost, the voice and image in my mind always conjures up the Simpsons comic book guy. “Best bike ever”. Enjoy.
Alan R

Attachments

• 22FFCE47-0C0B-4818-B23E-FF5A13AF7DA5.jpg
    22FFCE47-0C0B-4818-B23E-FF5A13AF7DA5.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 304

Oh brilliant a lot more tech onboard. They still can't sort out the basics like the build quality, the switchgear, the tft etc and the answer is stick on more high tech gadgetry .

Oh brilliant a lot more tech onboard. They still can't sort out the basics like the build quality, the switchgear, the tft etc and the answer is stick on more high tech gadgetry .

Would you prefer a bike with no advanced electronics? Maybe you would be better off buying a 1970's bike.

Over dinner a new ORS Instructor was telling us a story about the new SOS Crash detection button.

They were in Walters Arena and a student fell off her bike (static sideways drop) onto him and his bike, pinning him under it.

While they were scrabbling about, the SOS system triggered and he heard "hello, this is BMW are you all right"

Haha, he very sheepishly said, Yes all good thank you.... like having your Mom with you lol

But the tech worked....

Also, can I just say.

I was on Level 2 ORS and these bikes were being thrown downhill, ditched, spun around sideways, bits broken off everywhere, dumped in river crossings, slammed on the ground...... and they ALL made it home.

Unbeleavable really, the abuse they took. Cringe worthy.

So BMW have got the basics right. The bikes get you home !!

Would you prefer a bike with no advanced electronics? Maybe you would be better off buying a 1970's bike.

Why not stick with the level they already have and make it all work properly?

That goes for basic bike components as well as the electronics but the problem then would be that nobody would get rid of their bike if it did everything they wanted and never had any issues.

Why not stick with the level they already have and make it all work properly?

That goes for basic bike components as well as the electronics but the problem then would be that nobody would get rid of their bike if it did everything they wanted and never had any issues.

My bike has everything, except the TFT, and it all works perfectly. There is a reason for software updates as there will always be issues to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom