Top Dead Centre Tool - 2017 R1200GS Adventure

Smogbob,
That sure is a pretty bit of kit...
Over here in the US, I have found that Snap-On tools have always brought premium prices...although they have nice stuff!

It's convenient that the required 16mm size for the Cam to gear bolts is equivalent to our SAE size 5/8 inch...and about half the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWEAEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing that is often overlooked is accurate use of this adaptor when applying torque to specific applications.

The bottom line is to keep the adaptor at 90 degrees to the axis of the torque wrench to achieve the target torque. If you were to have the adaptor straight out from the end of the torque wrench, you would overshoot the desired 65Nm of force on the Cam bolts.

Hope this helps...

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-18%20at%208.33.01%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-18%20at%208.34.39%20AM.jpg

Smogbob,
That sure is a pretty bit of kit...
Over here in the US, I have found that Snap-On tools have always brought premium prices...although they have nice stuff!

It's convenient that the required 16mm size for the Cam to gear bolts is equivalent to our SAE size 5/8 inch...and about half the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWEAEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing that is often overlooked is accurate use of this adaptor when applying torque to specific applications.

The bottom line is to keep the adaptor at 90 degrees to the axis of the torque wrench to achieve the target torque. If you were to have the adaptor straight out from the end of the torque wrench, you would overshoot the desired 65Nm of force on the Cam bolts.

Hope this helps...

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-18%20at%208.33.01%20AM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-18%20at%208.34.39%20AM.jpg

I am certainly going to follow the directions of the teacher, could not have even thought about doing this without your amazing help..............:beerjug:

Valid question now is will these tools fit the new 1250, or do you have to have a new toolbox at every BMW release...................:blast

Well I aint going through all that again, keeping the goldilocks......................:D

Lets just see how long we can keep them alive for.... Like an old-age pact. First to die wins.

First one to 100,000 miles

Got mine a few weeks ago, yep they are quite elusive them little spanners, but do they fit the 1250.........;)

I just checked the RealOem parts fiche and the same bolts are used to hold the cams to the timing gears...so the same wrench should fit.

I just checked the RealOem parts fiche and the same bolts are used to hold the cams to the timing gears...so the same wrench should fit.

Will all the other tools work as well, TDC Tool, Alignment Jig, Cam Chain Tensioner?

:D

Well good news, lets hope the rest are the same as Warlord says, you are the man Boxflyer so much good info...........:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Sorry, I don't know yet...but am looking into it.
I still have no intentions of trading to the 1250, my 2016 RT has more of everything than I can use now, so will serve me just fine for a long, long time.
I just returned from a 11k (miles) 24 day trip thru 33 states in the US and 1 Provence in Canada without a single malfunction or issue...but I did carry all my tools to do everything including the valve timing and clearance check...it came due at the 6k point in the middle of the ride, so I coordinated a "WetHead Tech Day" with another 1200RT rider and did a "dog and pony show".

Image%206-9-19%20at%2007.51-M.jpg

I still have no intentions of trading to the 1250, my 2016 RT has more of everything than I can use now, so will serve me just fine for a long, long time.
I just returned from a 11k (miles) 24 day trip thru 33 states in the US and 1 Provence in Canada without a single malfunction or issue...but I did carry all my tools to do everything including the valve timing and clearance check...it came due at the 6k point in the middle of the ride, so I coordinated a "WetHead Tech Day" with another 1200RT rider and did a "dog and pony show".

That looks impressive.... really good :)

Cool bet you enjoyed that, only problem with the USA is you pile the kilos on everything is massive, even the coffees..............:D

Back
Top Bottom