Watermarks on Black Engine Casings

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just noticed in today’s sunshine numerous watermarks on the right cylinder of my shiny black engine (12 months/2000 miles old and only ridden three times since I bought it a fortnight ago) and they wouldn’t wash or polish out. The left side of the engine looked fine, but I then washed the whole bike and it’s apparent that all the black powder coating is plastered with water spots. There’s also a few corrosion streaks on a couple of aluminium bits :mad: Looks like it’s been washed with something aggressive?

I’m guessing that the dealer polished the bike with a valeting product like S100 Engine Brightener or similar and I’ve now washed it off :confused:

I’m going to take it back to the dealer, but I don’t expect to get anywhere. Any recommendations on how to remove the water spots or at least hide them? E.g. https://www.motohaus.com/sdoc100-colour-refresher.html

Just noticed in today’s sunshine numerous watermarks on the right cylinder of my shiny black engine (12 months/2000 miles old and only ridden three times since I bought it a fortnight ago) and they wouldn’t wash or polish out. The left side of the engine looked fine, but I then washed the whole bike and it’s apparent that all the black powder coating is plastered with water spots. There’s also a few corrosion streaks on a couple of aluminium bits :mad: Looks like it’s been washed with something aggressive?

I’m guessing that the dealer polished the bike with a valeting product like S100 Engine Brightener or similar and I’ve now washed it off :confused:

I’m going to take it back to the dealer, but I don’t expect to get anywhere. Any recommendations on how to remove the water spots or at least hide them? E.g. https://www.motohaus.com/sdoc100-colour-refresher.html

Try something like motorex protect and clean xcp do something similar it’s a very fine oil use it all the time especially on the gs engines won’t do any damage does other parts of the bike as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wonder if the 'watermarks' are:
- on the surface (eg a residue of some sort of cleaner / protective treatment or possibly residue (mineral deposits) from being washed in a 'hard water' area)
- OR 'etched' into the surface of the paint indicating that the paint has been chemically attacked eg by brake fluid spray / leak (my kids once plastered the car with suncream handprints and these have defied removal so presumably is etched into the lacquer / paint)

Are the watermarks all around or just on the forward / outward facing surfaces?
Maybe try examining a watermark with a single point bright white light source ie hold small torch at an angle and look closely and also check if surface is smooth or rough?

I wasn't quite sure from your post whether it's only the right side that affected, or both. If only the right side then, as has been said, it suggests it might have had engine cleaner left on it. Why not at least try a waterspot remover, such as CarPro Spotless?

The marks are all over and there’s also some minor tarnishing on some aluminium parts

6303a430f3b4114f737d38ee7e28671f.jpg

45192471d66190d5a3e425f7f97f0c65.jpg

a8e1b72820d331e9871cc1ae3ba46635.jpg

c67e7ef9b8ad5ecd99d3133ee148e373.jpg

28111085fc59df1681d033737b82edea.jpg

BMW really need to start painting bikes properly. And I’d be asking the dealer why the bike has been scratched to ribbons as well.

The dealer washer has probably used TFR without diluting it to the correct ratio.

The dealer washer has probably used TFR without diluting it to the correct ratio.

Yeah, defo some kind of alkaline cleaner gone on too strong/left on too long.

Somebody here recommended an oil based 'cleaner' and I'd echo that. I use Scotoiler FS365 after a wash. It gives everything a nice shine, should cover the 'water marks' and has the added property of neutralising salt.

Andres

BMW really need to start painting bikes properly. And I’d be asking the dealer why the bike has been scratched to ribbons as well.
Its got nothing to do with the quality of the paint if it hasnt been cared for properly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks like corrosion on top of front engine cover and something has attacked the black finish all round, on a 12mth old bike you've only owned a few weeks i'd be looking at a warranty claim... nothing to lose by asking.

I’ve sent an e-mail to the sales guy asking for the bike to be inspected and asking for a replacement bike if they can’t restore the paint finish.

The dealer does have a good reputation, so fingers crossed. I also bought my 320d from another one of their branches last August, so hopefully they’ll look after a repeat customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve sent an e-mail to the sales guy asking for the bike to be inspected and asking for a replacement bike if they can’t restore the paint finish.

The dealer does have a good reputation, so fingers crossed. I also bought my 320d from another one of their branches last August, so hopefully they’ll look after a repeat customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Good Luck though.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Good Luck though.

The dealers get out of jail card will be to blame the op's cleaning regime "harmful cleaning products" like mud-off, undiluted and left too long on the surface.

Looks like an over aggressive cleaner.

S-Doc or Harley-Davidson back to black should sort it. Both work well in my experience, probably the same product in reality, even on crinkle black casings.

However, once the surface paint has been attacked like this, it will be a regular spray job after each major valeting session. ACF50 will also cover the issue, but does leave far more anti-corrosion residue.

Looks like an over aggressive cleaner.

S-Doc or Harley-Davidson back to black should sort it. Both work well in my experience, probably the same product in reality, even on crinkle black casings.

However, once the surface paint has been attacked like this, it will be a regular spray job after each major valeting session. ACF50 will also cover the issue, but does leave far more anti-corrosion residue.
ACF only leaves more residue than is required if it isnt applied properly thru a spray gun, if your a bit heavy handed with it , yes it ends up looking messy when the dirt sticks to it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom