KTM 1190 Adventure (non R version)

rollercam

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi i have the chance to buy a very low mileage (900 miles) 2016 model for around the £9000 mark. If i do not fancy all the modern gizmos is this the one to go for or do you think i would be better off buying a new 1090 model. Anything to look out for on the 1190 model ?

Many Thanks

Regards Matthew

I would pay the extra £3k for one of the last leftover 2018 1290S if you wanted gizmo's....

You gain Semi Active Suspension, TFT Screen, Cruise Control, Keyless Ignition plus optional (electronic unlock) for Quick Shifter / Phone Integration, and you gain a full 2 year warranty - and in 3 years time it will probably be worth £3k more than the 1190 as by then it will be a 6 year old average mileage bike.

But if you don't want all that then the 1190 is an amazing machine - we liked mine so much we kept it when I bought the 1290, we had a 1090 / 1190 and unanimously decided the 1090 would be the one to go.

I guess you are looking at a new 1090 or a used 1190 for about the same money here, tough choice, having owned both at the same time I am very familiar with the differences, and although we kept the older 1190 over the new 1090 they both have their merits.

The 1090 is a great machine, the front end is really good (IMO of course) and the handling seems really sweet despite the lack of adjustment or electronic gizmo's, it does not need them, the forks are better damped than the 1190 and the shock works just fine.

The biggest difference is the engine, the 1190 is far more powerful than the spec sheet suggests, below 4k there is not much in it, but then the 1190 starts pulling much harder and just keeps going launching into an addictive mid range I just love, where the 1090 hits a small flat spot around 5,000, it soon pulls through and then has a decent top end, but by then the 1190 is over the horizon and the 1190 rider will have a much bigger grin.

If you want a bargain of an adventure bike, not too many gadgets to go wrong and a long warranty then buy a 1090. It is probably a lot more fun than any of the Jap bikes (AT / Verysys / V-Strom - Yawn!) whilst being as simple, reliable and cheap to run.

If you want a bike that can really set your heart racing then buy the 1190.

Neither will disappoint, but the 1190 is the better bike - The Mrs took the 1090 for a tour of the Alps last year and really liked it, when I decided to buy the 1290 I let her have a quick spin on the 1190, it only took her about 3 miles to declare there is no way we are selling the 1190 - although it won't be her wallet taking a bettering when the gizmo's fuck up!

My 1190 has been excellent over 3 years and 17,000 miles, a 2016 bike will have the later airbox and starter motor which were about the only weaknesses AFAIK - apart from the sticky fuel gauges, but I think even the latest ones can still do that.

Hi Rasher

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply pretty much what i have read on ADV rider etc. I am selling my bmw k1300r to fund the purchase just a bit on the fence with buying a 1090/1190 but i think the 1190 will be the one i would like to go for. I will post up some pictures if i go ahead with buying the bike. I already have givi trekker luggage (used to own a 1993 triumph tiger) so just need to purchase the pannier rails.

Regards Matthew

I sold my 15 plate 1190 adventure with 31k miles 3 hours ago for £6200 fully loaded...... And I'm already regretting it.

It's probably the only bike I've owned that I didn't want to sell, but health issues have forced my hand. No electrical issues in all that time.

Hi Rollercam

I have just Sold a BMW K1300 GT (at Christmas) which as you know if you had the 1300r are not under powered bikes, and just bought a KTM 1190 Adventure and as of yet have been really pleased with it for power fun and comfort.

Thanks for your replies Dirty Ming/Blue i will have to see if my k1300r sells this week but i really do fancy the 1190.

Regards Matthew

Hi i have the chance to buy a very low mileage (900 miles) 2016 model for around the £9000 mark. If i do not fancy all the modern gizmos is this the one to go for or do you think i would be better off buying a new 1090 model. Anything to look out for on the 1190 model ?

Many Thanks

Regards Matthew

If you want conventional suspension then you need to go for the R version. The more road orientated S model that you’re looking at has everything bar semi-active suspension though in the 2 1/2 years I had mine it worked faultlessly so I wouldn’t worry about reliability.

Be careful with hard luggage because mine weaved with both the standard KTM panniers and with Touratech ones ones I was into licence removal territory.

Be careful with hard luggage because mine weaved with both the standard KTM panniers and with Touratech ones ones I was into licence removal territory.

With my huge Trekker Outbacks weave would start as I approached 100mph if I had the suspension in Comfort (which I tend to on the motorway) but in Street mode it was fine up until about 110-115, if I wanted to cruise any faster I would buy another ZZR1400.

Not many places in Europe now where exceeding 3 figure speeds is not likely to end in tears if caught - which is one of the main reasons I switched to adventure bikes in the first place.

Good luck with BMW sale.

Thanks for all the advice everyone i will let you know how it pans out.

Regards Matthew

Back
Top Bottom