Trade in prices

ktmman

Reaction score
Not been on here for a while as i moved from my old gs1150 to ktm 1190 adv r. Fancy a complete changeand was looking for a 1250rt.
Ive never been one for wandering around dealers but a few rt s I was interested in came up, few calls later and one offered me 5500, the other 4750.
Wtf, im not expecting private sale prices but why the big differance and why so low?

Ktm is 2015, 2nd dealer claimed miles was high at 29k. . The first dealer was helpful tbh, arranged test ride etc.ive never been on an rt before, it felt rough as hell, ie transmission vibration and noise. Prob me as it was a 19 plate with 4k on it.

So , am i expecting to much for a trade in, are the 1250s all like that, should i just run the 1190 until it dies.

Not been on here for a while as i moved from my old gs1150 to ktm 1190 adv r. Fancy a complete changeand was looking for a 1250rt.
Ive never been one for wandering around dealers but a few rt s I was interested in came up, few calls later and one offered me 5500, the other 4750.
Wtf, im not expecting private sale prices but why the big differance and why so low?

Ktm is 2015, 2nd dealer claimed miles was high at 29k. . The first dealer was helpful tbh, arranged test ride etc.ive never been on an rt before, it felt rough as hell, ie transmission vibration and noise. Prob me as it was a 19 plate with 4k on it.

So , am i expecting to much for a trade in, are the 1250s all like that, should i just run the 1190 until it dies.
Some dealers really are wankers. 8 yr old bike so less than 4k miles a year. (My first GS was sold partly as a 'great for long trips' bike....2 years later I was quite literally slated for banging 20k miles on it....very high miler.:rolleyes:)

I'd get a few RTs test ridden before I did anything else. If it suits you, get the KTM sold privately

Ride a different 1250. Maybe go test ride a new one to compare the difference.

As for the trade in, at least you were offered something. 8 year old KTMs aren't the fastest selling bikes ...

As a rule of thumb I calculate depreciation at 2k a year on a new bike and then subtract another 1k if sold to a dealer as that is their profit margin. Well that is my real world experience.:blast

Thanks all. Yes riding other 1250 rts may help me decide if its the bike for me. My depreciation is working out at around £650 a year.
Funny thing is, i nirmally ride the ktm in street mode, i switched to sport and really enjoyed the smoother quicker pick up.
Maybe at 59 im still too young for an rt!
The private sale seems the way to go if i eventually decide to switch.

The RT shouldn't be rough, especially the newer 1250's. Yes, there's a little spot of vibration, with all of them I've ridden, this is only barely perceptible at around 3 to 4K revs but not intrusive. My 18 plate 1200 RS is as smooth as butter whilst my slightly older GSA felt quite agricultural by comparison. I understand that most of the boxer range had improved shaft damping from 2017 or 2018 and new models I've ridden have all been smoother to ride than just about all pre 2017 models I tried. The main difference between models is the final drive gearing can be slightly different between the models.

If contemplating the change, you'll be paying premium prices at most dealers so only contemplate bikes that feel sorted and are as close to mint as you can get. Anything feeling rough best avoided and don't take what a dealer says as gospel...they're job is to sell them. If that one felt rough, see if you can try another similar one. By and large, 1250 shift cam engines feel smoother to my untrained seat of the pants gauge.

29K miles is not high mileage except to a dealer who only wants low miles bikes. Remember, a lot of their clientele are buying on PPC terms and changing bikes every few years only looking for new or nearly new bikes. Your best bet is to sell privately. I'd expect around £6-7K or thereabouts if in good condition. I've seen much higher miles ones than yours advertised at £6K.

After reading reviews and watching dozens of yt vids, i was expecting a really smooth premium product whoa feeling. The particular bike i rode was alarmingly rough, it felt like gears wernt meshing well, a rough rumbling feeling/noise. Initially i put it down to the massive fairing making the bike so quiet , hence i could hear the gearbox, to be fair, i never got a chance to adjust the shock settings so the rear felt way to hard and harsh(dynamic?), the whole package was dissapointing so maybe it was a bad bike , not set up for me and the test ride area and road condition. Either way im sticking with the ktm for now. Maybe re visit next year after the season.

Back
Top Bottom