Got Shaft Rot.... again WTF

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got the dreaded Shaft Rot again..... WTF :mad:

Following this thread.. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Inside-Out-Pics?highlight=rusting+inside+out

Got a BMW Warranty Claim and had a new Shaft and New Final Drive under Warranty.... only 6 months ago !!

Doing a deep clean today and the photo's speak for themselves. :blast

I know my final drive was replaced because my old one had scratches on the paintwork, the new one was clean as a whistle (on the outside).

Is it just me ?? :nenau :comfort :blast

Attachments

• Shaft1.jpg
    Shaft1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 2,655
  • Shaft2.jpg
    Shaft2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,623
  • Shaft3.jpg
    Shaft3.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,650
  • Shaft4.jpg
    Shaft4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,686
  • Shaft5.jpg
    Shaft5.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2,632
When I took the shaft out of the swing arm.... the paintwork is shite. Really thin and bubbling in places.

The swingarm was full of water !! :eek: about an inch deep with bits floating on the top :nenau

Attachments

• Water Level.jpg
    Water Level.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 2,663
Warranty claim, and stop washing the bike in salty water...fixed...........:hippy

What's BMW going to do? Just stick another untreated piece of shit to my bike?

They've not greased it at all from the BMW Dealer. I thought it would last at least 6 months to give me a chance to get in and sort it.. Only done 1500 miles over winter on it.

I'm going to paint it red and write "FUCK YOU BMW" on it before sticking it back up the bike...

When I took the shaft out of the swing arm.... the paintwork is shite. Really thin and bubbling in places.

The swingarm was full of water !! :eek: about an inch deep with bits floating on the top :nenau

Seeing as the design seems to let water in I wonder if it's worth making a small drain hole in there? or perhaps in the rubber boot? and perhaps you could regularly spray AC-50 in there through the hole? could there be any structual problems? probably best done out of warrenty

Seeing as the design seems to let water in I wonder if it's worth making a small drain hole in there? or perhaps in the rubber boot? and perhaps you could regularly spray AC-50 in there through the hole? could there be any structual problems? probably best done out of warrenty

I'm starting to think along those lines, because that rubber gaiter isn't doing anything productive.

It was absolutely swimming in there.

This is unacceptable, and BMW are relying on 99% of customers just taking their bikes to the dealer for maintenance. Ask a technician, and I bet most bikes are the same.

Get rid of the POS and get a 1290. :D

This is unacceptable, and BMW are relying on 99% of customers just taking their bikes to the dealer for maintenance. Ask a technician, and I bet most bikes are the same.

Get rid of the POS and get a 1290. :D

Don't tempt me :D

b0cbbbb4058201c204549db08d72a0c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Got the dreaded Shaft Rot again..... WTF :mad:

Following this thread.. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Inside-Out-Pics?highlight=rusting+inside+out

Got a BMW Warranty Claim and had a new Shaft and New Final Drive under Warranty.... only 6 months ago !!

Doing a deep clean today and the photo's speak for themselves. :blast

I know my final drive was replaced because my old one had scratches on the paintwork, the new one was clean as a whistle (on the outside).

Is it just me ?? :nenau :comfort :blast

Do you clean your bike with a pressure washer?

Do you clean your bike with a pressure washer?

Nope, never.

Just use a low pressure hose pipe, bucket and wash mitt.

It appears once water gets in... it can't get back out !!

I wash mine the same way as u and the original paint is fine on my shaft and never had any water in there. So it can’t be as simple as a design issue or they would all do it. My Ducati swingarm used to fill up and swamp the rear hub. Ducati did modify the swingarm eventually with a drain hole.

I have had the rear plastic spray guard fill up with water but swinger is mint inside.

i pressure wash my bike all the time and on my last spline check all was dry in my shaft tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom