1150R gear changes....

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
ok, new to me so still getting used to the bike. Lower gears are clunky, yes its a BMW thing. I get that. Having owned a GS in the past, I am no stranger to "positive" gear changes. This takes it to a different level though. At least once a day I hit neutral going from 1st to 2nd.

Often (esp when cold) it feels like it its hooking (technical term :)) between leaving 1st, neutral and then into 2nd. Hard to explain, almost like a door that has sunk on its hinges and needs lifting before it'll close.
If I ride to end of the rev range in 1st, the change is infinitely easier.

I almost run out of ankle movement, like its too far between gear changes. The rest seems okay. the occasional missing a gear also happens now and again. At speed, clutch less changes are smooth (up only mind). Bike is booked in for a service in near future but is there any adjustment that can be done, aligned etc? Are there any signs/test that can be looked at before just replacing/rebuilding a gear box? Ideas, suggestions, information welcome. Positive gear changes recommended can go jump....:thumb

ok, new to me so still getting used to the bike. Lower gears are clunky, yes its a BMW thing. I get that. Having owned a GS in the past, I am no stranger to "positive" gear changes. This takes it to a different level though. At least once a day I hit neutral going from 1st to 2nd.

Often (esp when cold) it feels like it its hooking (technical term :)) between leaving 1st, neutral and then into 2nd. Hard to explain, almost like a door that has sunk on its hinges and needs lifting before it'll close.

I almost run out of ankle movement, like its too far between gear changes. The rest seems okay. the occasional missing a gear also happens now and again. At speed, clutch less changes are smooth (up only mind). Bike is booked in for a service in near future but is there any adjustment that can be done, aligned etc? Are there any signs/test that can be looked at before just replacing/rebuilding a gear box? Ideas, suggestions, information welcome. Positive gear changes recommended can go jump....:thumb

The changes on my 1150R are probably the best of any boxer BMW. I have owned, not even a clonk into first, so there must be ‘good ones’ out there👍

My R1100GS was the same ,think the previous owner had adjusted the gear lever up as I felt as tho I had to lift my foot up to get it into higher gears , so I adjusted the gear lever rose joint thing 1 complete turn down , gear changes are nice now and no missed gears .. :)

might try that. but it definitely feels like it doesn't slot in perfectly either. Almost like its hesitant to leave 1st for second! Wish I knew more about gears etc to explain in more technical terms. Apart from the gap, it just feels like a snag somewhere.

Dismantle, clean & grease the lever pivot and linkage.

Then put it back together, natch... ;)

Might have something to do with the different footrest hangers you’ve fitted ... and whoever revs out in first gear before changing into second on an old 1150 boxer engine :D

No. It was the same before the swap. I only ride a little bit higher in the revs to maybe 3k. I am still riding it like the GS. Change out of first ASAP. 1150 seems to be able to cope more in first, in traffic, than the GS could

I was told by an old Beemer rider that to change gear smoothly on a BM you have to put weight on the gear lever BEFORE you pull in the clutch, then it will slide in with no clunk. So this is what I have always done since - you deliberately select a gear rather than 'snick' one quickly like you can on a Japanese bike.

Whether this is true or not I don't know any better - but certainly on my 80 and 1150 the weight on lever first technique results in perfectly smooth changes, but if I pull the clutch first and then use the stick, it clunks.

Dismantle, clean & grease the lever pivot and linkage.

Then put it back together, natch... ;)

What he says :thumb

The lever pivot and linkage go all dry ... it's like paddling with wellingtons on :D

Do this anyway, regardless ....

:beerjug:

I was told by an old Beemer rider that to change gear smoothly on a BM you have to put weight on the gear lever BEFORE you pull in the clutch, then it will slide in with no clunk. So this is what I have always done since - you deliberately select a gear rather than 'snick' one quickly like you can on a Japanese bike.

Whether this is true or not I don't know any better - but certainly on my 80 and 1150 the weight on lever first technique results in perfectly smooth changes, but if I pull the clutch first and then use the stick, it clunks.

And don't pull the clutch all the way, if you're doing this you only need to use about a quarter or third of the lever travel...nice and smooth :thumb2

Well, loaded it a lot more today before changing. Didn't miss second once...greasing etc will be put on Steptoe's service list....!

Having owned a GS in the past, I am no stranger to "positive" gear changes. This takes it to a different level though.

Ideas, suggestions, information welcome. Positive gear changes recommended can go jump....:thumb

Well, loaded it a lot more today before changing. Didn't miss second once...greasing etc will be put on Steptoe's service list....!

You've been riding BMWs for how long? And pre-loading the lever is a new thing for you? I thought that's what you meant when you eschewed advice re 'positive gear changes' :blast

Back
Top Bottom