"floatty/light" front end.

John_mx

Reaction score
Hay,

Just wondering if any one can help me but when I get to about 75-80mph I feel like the front end of my bike is very light almost like it is trying to float,

What could this be:nenau?

Only thing I can think of it that my suspension is not adjusted correctly?

John.

I would say its just become like that because I have never had that felling of not being in control.

Check rear shock settings Look for leaking shock fluid front and rear tyre pressures and report back :thumb2

ESA or not?

ps front issues can be caused by a rear problem sometimes so make no assumptions

Its on e07 50/50 tyre's what would be the best psi for on road and what's best for off road?

No ESA :)

Yea I was think that it might be to soft on the rear?

I was on it today and did not see anything leaking to the best of my knowledge,

John.

Its on e07 50/50 tyre's what would be the best psi for on road and what's best for off road?

No ESA :)

Yea I was think that it might be to soft on the rear?

I was on it today and did not see anything leaking to the best of my knowledge,

John.

41 rear 38 front same for both on or offroad, oops sorry just realised this is hexhead

psi for on road and what's best for off road?

Tarmac 36 f 42 r as a base setting but if solo you can try up or down a little from there Off road needs a riding god's input :D

Do you have a top box fitted?

Yes I have a top box but I don't have much in it :)

Just water proofs and some basic tools

Ok that rules that one out iykwim ?

Have you set sag? Is the rear spring correct for your weight? Is the wheel alignment correct?
If the rear is too soft the front too stiff it will deflect off bumps sideways If the rear is too stiff and the front too soft the front will tend to lift up over bumps There are many more things to consider but start with the basics
:beerjug:

Yes I have a top box but I don't have much in it :)

Just water proofs and some basic tools

How big is the top box. At 75-80mph it’ll be causing a lot of drag and making the front seem light.

Has the bike had any work done recently, and knocks, anything out of the ordinary? Sorry if already noted somewhere else

That.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Then why would it happen only at speeds above 75mph. ...... a soft rear spring would have the bike shaking it's head slightly when pulling away from a standstill.

Then why would it happen only at speeds above 75mph. ...... a soft rear spring would have the bike shaking it's head slightly when pulling away from a standstill.

Riding style amongst many other factors may play a part in this case if for example hard acceleration with a soft rear spring unloads the front? We need the full story? It's still good practice to check the basics first imho
:beerjug:

Hay,

Just wondering if any one can help me but when I get to about 75-80mph I feel like the front end of my bike is very light almost like it is trying to float,

What could this be:nenau?

Only thing I can think of it that my suspension is not adjusted correctly?

John.

I had a similar issue with a badly worn TK 70 front worn tyre — change to a metzler and happy days — see my thread ‘steering damper’ in the hex head section — hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not something like topbox or spring unless the spring has broken. If its just hapend its something else. Anyway its easy to remove topbox to try. Also you could wind up the preload on the shock. Only do 1 thing at a time if it dosent work undo it and try somthing else. JJH

As I well know, there are degrees of soft. Not necessarily the answer, but that’s where I’d start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hay,

yea I can be a bit of a aggressive rider but I do try my best to "take it easy"

Yea ill try it with the top box off and see how it is but I am going to the touratech adventure bike weekend this weekend so it will be fully loaded :)

I've had a look at springs and they look good but I was thinking about getting some after market one's as I think it would help on and off road?

I was thinking about getting some wilds, anyone like them on there GS?

I am going to stiffen up the rear and see if that helps after I have dropped all my gear off on Friday :)

Back
Top Bottom