Low speed clonk, front end

Beagood

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2003 R1150GSA - background: rode into the back of a parked car three years ago, fixed with new pattern stanchions and second hand stanchions from Motorworks by Mark Holden. Rides great but the front end feels weird in the very first part of the stroke, matron. It is only noticeable at low speeds (under 20mph) - it almost feels like there's no damping in the first 1/2" of travel - then feels like it improves as speed increases. It's not the shock as they are new Nitrons (thanks MCT) and it was present with the old stock one, pretty sure it can't be the forks as they don't perform any damping duties so I'm thinking it might be the ball joint. Does this strike anyone as being familiar? It may be that they all do that... I can't remember if it's always done it or not... :nenau

If it's being doing since being repaired after a front collision you may want to check the from telelever, all fixings and ball joint for damage.

Whatever the bike, any sense of vagueness needs checking out, particularly as yours took accidental damage a few years back, just in case it is something significant. You only mention replacing the stanchions, so presumably the bridge section is original. This would suggest that it could be the BJ ......... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...MW-R_1150_GS_Adv_01_0441,0492_&diagId=31_0530.

However the strange lack of damping feel makes me wonder about the trailing arm bearings too. Why not get a mate to sit on the bike, front brake on & rock it back & forth - meanwhile you check out the BJ for play, as well as the TA bearings. Just cupping each area in one hand to feel for play should tell you all you need to know.

However the strange lack of damping feel makes me wonder about the trailing arm bearings too. Why not get a mate to sit on the bike, front brake on & rock it back & forth - meanwhile you check out the BJ for play, as well as the TA bearings. Just cupping each area in one hand to feel for play should tell you all you need to know.

Thanks for the replies all. Squibb, will try this - I hadn't considered the bearings and will give them a cupping with a mate onboard.

Any frontal impact will push a lot of force through the swingarm into the bearings and/or the engine casings. My bet would be the swingarm bearings are knackered and you may need to check the casings.

I've had 2 front impacts on Rocksters and both wrote the bike off instantly due to the engine casings being destroyed by the impact.

Any frontal impact will push a lot of force through the swingarm into the bearings and/or the engine casings. My bet would be the swingarm bearings are knackered and you may need to check the casings.

I've had 2 front impacts on Rocksters and both wrote the bike off instantly due to the engine casings being destroyed by the impact.

It was a glancing blow and the weedy stanchion tubes bent taking most of the force. Cases seem fine, suspecting the ball joint - I noticed that the rubber boot is shot too. Will also take Steptoe's advice and check the top yoke bearing too.

I tried running the front wheel up a curb yesterday and it definitely feels 'notchy' rather than a smooth take up, if that makes sense.

Check the little bushes where the tubes fix into the top triple clamp.
Mine have been replaced once and are going again at 175k km.

Check ball joint and top yolk bearing.

Bingo!

Turns out it was both - split bellows on the ball joint which meant the grease disappeared and the top bearing was fecked. Couldn't feel any play in the top yoke until dismantled, then it was obvious. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom