Access to battery

Amadeus

Reaction score
Am I right in believing that to get access to the battery (I want to fit an Optimate SAE cable), I need a torx bit which isn't included with the bike (i.e. the 3 tools under the passenger sea)t? Just want to ensure I've not missed something obvious...
I always understood that torx bits were used just to make life a little more difficult for "meddlers" but as they're easily available now, I'm not sure there's much point in them. Certainly don't understand why one is necessary to remove the side cover.

thanks!

The torx screw driver under the seat should be enough to get access [flip the end round in the handle]

I’m sure there are many valid engineering reasons for the many different types of fasteners used on modern machinery. I’m sure you could replace the bolt with a hex head or a slotted one or an Allen key. Just make sure to use an identical one same thread shoulder and material. Oh and don’t forget to carry whatever tool needed. Personally I have no problem with my one. I carry one of those multi tool yolks and wouldn’t consider using the cheese ones that come with the bike. JJH

I’m sure there are many valid engineering reasons for the many different types of fasteners used on modern machinery. I’m sure you could replace the bolt with a hex head or a slotted one or an Allen key. Just make sure to use an identical one same thread shoulder and material. Oh and don’t forget to carry whatever tool needed. Personally I have no problem with my one. I carry one of those multi tool yolks and wouldn’t consider using the cheese ones that come with the bike. JJH

Strangely enough I was just looking at a Leatherman but can't bring myself to order it - seems overly expensive, paying for the name. But it'd be flippin' useful so I should probably just do it.
Thanks!

Doesn’t have to be a leatherman. Although they are the dogs dangly bits. JJH

The Leatherman Wave is a good tool I picked one up secondhand for around £50 from ebay

Strangely enough I was just looking at a Leatherman but can't bring myself to order it - seems overly expensive, paying for the name. But it'd be flippin' useful so I should probably just do it.
Thanks!

Lifetime warranty makes it worthwhile ;)

No proof of purchase necessary so pick up a good second hand one.

Am I right in believing that to get access to the battery (I want to fit an Optimate SAE cable), I need a torx bit which isn't included with the bike (i.e. the 3 tools under the passenger sea)t? Just want to ensure I've not missed something obvious...

The screwdriver has two heads, Philips and Torx. Just pull out the Philips from the handle and switch to the Torx head..

I always understood that torx bits were used just to make life a little more difficult for "meddlers" but as they're easily available now, I'm not sure there's much point in them. Certainly don't understand why one is necessary to remove the side cover.

thanks!

That is not the case at all.

Torx has been standard tools in any modern toolbox for the last 10 years and the Torx heads are used in all kind of screws. Try to build a wooden house today without a screw with a Torx head...

BMW went Torx in 2004...

And the reason is obvious, the Torx is by far the most grippy option, superior to any other type commonly available.

Leatherman is a wonderful tool, but it does not replace a set of Torx tools. For 1/3 of the price of a Leatherman you get a decent kit.

Yea but you can look so much more hipster with a Leatherman attached to you belt and it has a cool tool for taking stones out of Horses hooves :D

Back
Top Bottom