Front brake lever click

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently changed my front brake pads, fitting Brembo scintered pads this time.
To fit them I pushed back the old pads to make space, venting excess fluid throught the bleed nipple.

More recently I noticed the lever was coming right back to the grip so I gave it a good few pumps to stiffen it up (oooerrr!) and held the lever back with a velcro strap overnight a couple of times. This improved things a bit but still not ideal so I decided to bleed them through with some fresh fluid (I did a full bleed including exercising the ABS last autumn) and I did get a few bubbles out of the right caliper but not much.

Again there is improvement so I think I’ll do the full bleed again BUT now I can feel a click through the lever when pulled back half way. I’m wondering if that might be a worn master cylinder seal folding back under pressure :nenau

Anyone else experienced this?

Do I need to overhaul the master cylinder at 27000 miles?

I do use the “old fashioned” method although I have a line with a spring loaded non-return valve so I don’t have to reach over to close the bleed nipple before I let the lever go.

I do use the “old fashioned” method although I have a line with a spring loaded non-return valve so I don’t have to reach over to close the bleed nipple before I let the lever go.

Is the spring loaded line working OK................:rob

Ummmm. Probably?

The click was a red herring eliminated with a bit of lube. I think I’ll get a second pair of hands on the job and have the nipple opened and closed. :blast

you should not have opened the bleed nipple.you now need to introduce some new fluid and bleed the brake,imo from what you have posted obv

you should not have opened the bleed nipple.you now need to introduce some new fluid and bleed the brake,imo from what you have posted obv
Presume you mean when I put the new pads in. I wasn't keen on pushing oil back up past the master cylinder seals in the “wrong” direction.

Presume you mean when I put the new pads in. I wasn't keen on pushing oil back up past the master cylinder seals in the “wrong” direction.

never ever have i opened the bleed nipple when changing pads,and ive done hundreds in my time :rob

OK folks, this is really starting to bug me.

With a second pair of hands we've bled the front brake to the tune of about a jam jar full and there is no difference.

I have attached the GS-911 and run through the ABS bleed sequence too. Here's what I'm not sure about....... As the GS-911 runs the ABS to purge it, you have to operate the brake lever for 2 seconds at least 3 times. It isn't clear to me whether the bleed nipple should be open at this point but given that we've just completed a manual bleed cycle, mine are closed. Am I being a numpty?

OK folks, this is really starting to bug me.

With a second pair of hands we've bled the front brake to the tune of about a jam jar full and there is no difference.

I have attached the GS-911 and run through the ABS bleed sequence too. Here's what I'm not sure about....... As the GS-911 runs the ABS to purge it, you have to operate the brake lever for 2 seconds at least 3 times. It isn't clear to me whether the bleed nipple should be open at this point but given that we've just completed a manual bleed cycle, mine are closed. Am I being a numpty?

Thanks to BoxFlyer’s youtube channel I believe The bleed nipples should remain closed during the running of the ABS part of the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom