Final drive outer seal

Sweetpea

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

Just noticed today that I have a slight oil leak showing around the outer seal on my final drive (bevel box seal) no drips just oil film showing.

I’m just about to order one so I can get it sorted this weekend but was unsure whether to go down the main stealer route or Motorworks as usual?

Mine is a 2004 r1200gs but I was unsure when ordering whether it was vented or unvented... I’m guessing mine is early unvented?

Any info appreciated

SP 👍

Sometimes a CAREFUL clean can make all the difference I have one of those things that you can slip around a fork seal to clear it out

Early FD are unvented

You can change them from the outside without Splitting them

Cheers pal... Will have a proper look over the weekend... Only clocked it today.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Seal on order from Motorworks so hopefully it will be o.k until it arrives. It seems 23k is common for this to fail so hopefully good for many miles after fingers crossed.

well... gave it a once over last weekend.... dropped the final drive and checked it for any water contamination etc.... but all was good. Drained and Changed the oil anyway and gave the outer seal a good clean.

Guess what (fingers crossed) as DrFarkoff suggested - it appears to have cured the minor leak and no sign of anything for a couple of hundred miles now.

Will see how things go - at least i know i have a new seal ready to fit should it happen again.

Thanks

SP :thumb

Back
Top Bottom