Changing Front wishbone gaiter

Shoestring

Reaction score
There’s a split in the front wishbone gaiter on my GSA.

What does it take to replace it? Is it as simple as splitting a ball joint as you would on a car?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I’m being quoted >£250. It’s not possible to buy just the gaiter and you need to also replace the bearing.

At what point is it also worth replacing ball joint? Presumably not only when there is noticeable play - will be in bad condition prior to that?

There’s a split in the front wishbone gaiter on my GSA.

What does it take to replace it? Is it as simple as splitting a ball joint as you would on a car?

Cheers

Just done it on mine. Motorworks supplied the gaiter and, it's a doddle of a job.

At what point is it also worth replacing ball joint? Presumably not only when there is noticeable play - will be in bad condition prior to that?

Unship it and if when you lift the gaiter it looks clean and greased plus it feels firm to push around
with no discernable free play, chances are it's good to go. Mine was in very good order and it's done
70k and a lot of those miles have been on pretty harsh roads/tracks.

Any “how to....” guides out there? I can’t find anything on the Tube.

I shouldn't think a guide is necessary, also it'd only be about 30 seconds long, it's such an obviously simple straightforward job. You don't even have to remove the front wheel.

Seem to think the nut needs to be very tight-- 200nM iirc. Might be an issue if you are bothered about torque settings on critical fasteners such as this one... and don't have a suitable torque wrench

130nM for the ball joint nut, the ball joint itself is 230nM .��������

Back
Top Bottom