Narrow handlebars conversion

Can't you just hacksaw an inch off each bar end ? :augie

You can on 1250gs , just done it.
I cut about 35mm off each end.
The thread down the inside of the bar for the end weights is long so even after cutting 35mm off the end weights still bolt straight back on. Had to drill two new holes for the grip screws on each side 35mm further in but overall it's fairly easy to do if you have reasonable DIY skills. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutting disc to cut the ends off. I marked a line around them with a pipe cutter as a guide.
Think I could even make them back to original width again, if I changed my mind, by reusing the pieces I've cut off. Would need to drill out the threads from the cutoffs and get longer bar ends bolts and they would go back on and then move the grips etc. back to their original positions.

On my 2011 GSA TC I never liked the sweep back on the standard fat bars bars and their width, bought an expensive set of Magura bars with the correct bend,width and height that I wanted and spent a good deal of time fitting them and got an excellent seating to handlebar setting with the naked bars .

But, after I then spent a further amount of time drilling the bars for the pegs on the switchgear , swapping over all the grips, clutch and brake reservoirs etc etc it went to rat poop.

The reason that BMW put the uncomfortable sweep in the bars and had them so wide is to stop the switchgear/ levers and fluid reservoirs tw*tting the screen on anything more than 1/2 lock .

Least it took less time to put it back to standard

Back
Top Bottom