Finish Issues on 2016 GS Triple Black

Fagin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some advise please?

My 2016 bike has only done 9166 miles and is in top condition.....apart from the finish on the front a rear spoked wheels.

I have had it looked at twice and pictures have been sent to BMW UK Technical for comment, none of which have appeared.

My dealer in Inverness has said it looks as though I have used some aggressive cleaning products which has "Bleached" the colour out of the wheels:confused::confused::confused:

I only use the best stuff I can afford to buy both on my bikes and cars and nothing is either acidic or alkaline so I am stumped as to where to go next, surely a bike of this age and condition shouldn't be suffering this sort of problem?

Has anyone else had this issue, the wheels really detract from the look of the bike :(

I would try a couple of good cleans with WD40 and a microfibre cloth and tooth brush. I made the mistake of using traffic film remover on my last bikes spoked wheels, and they looked the same when Dry. WD40 is an excellent cleaning agent, which will strip most residues of painted surfaces, without affecting the top coat.

Once clean, just wash with a ph neutral shampoo, such as Autoglym.

I've used Autogym Bumper care on mine with a microfibre cloth.

Brings them back to black.

BUT DON'T GET IT ON YOUR TYRES

I've used Autogym Bumper care on mine with a microfibre cloth.

Brings them back to black.

BUT DON'T GET IT ON YOUR TYRES

Similar issue, my fault as used spray on motorbike cleaner, which I guess is too aggressive. Do you have to reapply the bumper cleaner every wash? Usually go the wd40 route which brings them up well but pain in the arse and doesn't last.

Similar issue, my fault as used spray on motorbike cleaner, which I guess is too aggressive. Do you have to reapply the bumper cleaner every wash? Usually go the wd40 route which brings them up well but pain in the arse and doesn't last.

Bumper care is water repellant to some degree, but eventually it'll be washed off.

... it'll keep on top of it looking nicer for a short while... but that's one of the reasons why I moved away from spoked wheels to alloys.

Alloy wheels are so much easier to clean, maintain and trouble free for road riding.

If you do have a go at using Autoglym Bumper Care, shake the bottle well before use. Apply with a micro fibre cloth and wipe away surplus. A little bit goes a long way.

Keep it off your tyres.

Show some pics before and after.

I only use the best stuff I can afford to buy both on my bikes and cars and nothing is either acidic or alkaline so I am stumped as to where to go next, surely a bike of this age and condition shouldn't be suffering this sort of problem?

By definition, unless you're using only pure water then you're using either an acid or alkaline solution. The question is how acidic or alkaline, did you dilute, did you leave it to dry, did you apply under full sun etc. Most wheel cleaners are ph 13-14, and require dilution to bring them closer to ph 12, which is probably the most aggressive ph you'd want to use. Maybe get the wheels resprayed or powder coated?

Bumper care is water repellant to some degree, but eventually it'll be washed off.

... it'll keep on top of it looking nicer for a short while... but that's one of the reasons why I moved away from spoked wheels to alloys.

Alloy wheels are so much easier to clean, maintain and trouble free for road riding.

Alloys are easier I agree but still prefer spoked. What I will do next time I buy is apply a ceramic coating straight from the showroom, gtechniq or similar. Mrs Wonkey had this on her new car and her black gloss wheels are still amazing, a quick wipe is all that's needed.

I'd guess he's used neat Muck-off and not washed it off quick enough.

At this stage that would be a guess

For some reason BMW hate Muc-Off and will use its use as a reason to reject corrosion warranty claims yet Triumph actively recommend it :loopy

I've used Muc-Off on all my bikes for many years and have never had an issue with it

For some reason BMW hate Muc-Off and will use its use as a reason to reject corrosion warranty claims yet Triumph actively recommend it :loopy

I've used Muc-Off on all my bikes for many years and have never had an issue with it

Use Muc-off and Sdoc 100 see no difference in either, might try Vanish next. :D

I've used Muck off as well with good results but I know if you leave it too long it will attack the finish, I water it down now to make it a little less aggressive and wash it off quickly.

i use a spray of back to black from tesco cannot remember the make but they come up like new

Muc off is the work of the devil. I wouldn’t use that on my bike no matter how diluted it was. Seen plenty bikes ruined using that shite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muc off is the work of the devil. I wouldn’t use that on my bike no matter how diluted it was. Seen plenty bikes ruined using that shite.

Funny how people's experiences vary. I've used it on all my bikes and never an issue.

However, I've never left it to 'soak in' etc., always washed straight off.

One cleaner I do think is fantastic and well worth the money is the Bilt Hamber - requires hardly any agitating and cleans the wheels and calipers brilliantly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hambe...86&hvtargid=pla-562641500133&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom