What does the SOS & Teleservices function do, is it worth £305

Im sure after a few solid months of this constant call outs the emrgency services may well get fed up with the drain on their resources and may start charging for call outs.

Its the same system the cars use so that has been around for years, so I don't suppose there will be any massive increase in calls they get already. So what makes you think there will be solid months of call outs. If its activated someone has dumped their bike so there will not be that many false alarms. Mr BMW will have already looked at the feasibility of the system and spoken to the providers.

Im sure after a few solid months of this constant call outs the emrgency services may well get fed up with the drain on their resources and may start charging for call outs.

This does of course remains to be seen.

However, the way the system works. a call is made without delay if 'a severe fail or crash is detected'. Otherwise there is a built in delay that warns the rider that the SOS call will be made after a delay, and this gives the rider sufficient time to cancel the call. Even if the call has been made, the rider will be able to speak to the SOS center, and he may cancel the call if he is safe and sound and able to speak.

I honestly don't see how this will become a problem.

If I should point out an potential issue, the system is not satellite based, so in case of travel to remote areas with no mobile telephone coverage, an satellite based system will be better.
However, the BMW system is ,AFAIK, without a subscription fee, so once it is installed on the bike there is no extra cost.

Its the same system the cars use so that has been around for years, so I don't suppose there will be any massive increase in calls they get already.

Cars do not tend to fall over with a similar frequency to motorcycles especially off road bikes.

However, the BMW system is ,AFAIK, without a subscription fee, so once it is installed on the bike there is no extra cost.

Its inclusive to the original owner. And for the length of ownership. If or when sold, the new owner must pay a subscription fee.

Cars do not tend to fall over with a similar frequency to motorcycles especially off road bikes.

Not sure about the off road bit, can it be disabled if riding off road? I wouldn't know as I have a RT and will never ride offload, like a lot of GSs I expect.

No it cant be disabled,it was forever going off at BMW training centre last year when it was fitted to the new bikes and £80 oer bike to turn off permanently.

......it was forever going off at BMW training centre last year when it was fitted to the new bikes and £80 oer bike to turn off permanently.

Haha... I can imagine.... :D

Not what Vines told me.

15. How can the SIM card and the associated intelligent emergency call be deactivated/reactivated?

If you do not want to use the intelligent emergency call function (e.g. in case of a used vehicle purchase), it is possible to have the pre-installed SIM card of the vehicle and the associated intelligent emergency call function deactivated by an authorised BMW Motorrad Retailer. A corresponding indicator light will appear in the instrument cluster if the SIM card is deactivated. The "Reactivation" of the SIM card can also be carried out by an authorised BMW Motorrad Retailer.

Why people comment when they havnt researched it first is beyond me ?
It can be deactivated.

Why people comment when they havnt researched it first is beyond me ?
It can be deactivated.

As per my comment above yes if you pay a fee to BMW but it cannot be disabled and reenabled by the rider as they want.

15. How can the SIM card and the associated intelligent emergency call be deactivated/reactivated?

I never said it could.

I was referring to the first owner only without paying - unless ex-demo bikes are considered differently to any other used bike.

To answer the OP query.

I ummed and arrhed (like many us). I pulled the trigger and included it, whilst still doubting myself.

Anyway, going down an unkown (to me) muddy trail, in the middle of nowhere, on my own (#idiot) about two miles from the road.....you know how this ends....

Thankfully, not badly. Small slow speed off. The little voice came out of nowhere as I'm nursing my bruised (and ever so smaller) ego; "Hi, are you okay". WTF, I think. Has someone *seen* be such a w*nker!!!

Short answer to the OP (and anyone else), buy it. I didn't need it on that occasion, but I was literally miles from nowhere. God only knows wtf wld have happened if I'd been in bother #ShudderToThink. Safe riding and enjoy every journey.

Chris

Waste of money indeed. Unfortunately most bikes seems to be pre built with it. Or you do your own build and wait 3 months.

I have it - offroading in Spain I dropped the bike & it went off initially & then didn’t complete the call process, partially due to phone coverage. Dropped again off road in lakes, & the full system call occurred, including asking if I was OK.

I use the bike as my company vehicle v early morning driving in all conditions & off road. I believe it to be v beneficial & for me that drives 12000 miles a year, its invaluable. For the price a no brainer!

Was offered 2 bikes in the end, one with SOS and one without. For the sake of £305 I chose the one with, you never know it might save my life one day 🙂

Back
Top Bottom