Are all BMW pannier locks codeable ?

rossi46

Reaction score
Will the locks in my 2014 GSA boxes be codeable ? My dealer is saying not all locks can be changed

Collecting new bike tomorrow, deal done, all paid, then dealer rings just now and says not codeable and wants paying for 8 new locks

I had a similar issue - the problem is that the key design used on the new bikes is different from the older ones so the old locks will not match the new keys. So yes, they are all codable but only to a key design of the same vintage.

Will the locks in my 2014 GSA boxes be codeable ? My dealer is saying not all locks can be changed

Not sure about GSA locks, but my top box off my 2014 RT lock was coded to my new 2019 locks on my RT

Are the 1250 keys different to 1200 keys?

I’ve had my boxes moved two possibly three times and are currently keyed to my 2018GSA with keyless start.

Collecting new bike tomorrow, deal done, all paid, then dealer rings just now and says not codeable and wants paying for 8 new locks

Why don't you take your existing key from your 2014 bike to somewhere like Timpsons and get a non chip version cut. I did this on my MY 2018 GS even though my dealer coded my old locks to match my new bike to save me having to get my keyless fob out of my pocket. IIRC it cost me £15

Why don't you take your existing key from your 2014 bike to somewhere like Timpsons and get a non chip version cut. I did this on my MY 2018 GS even though my dealer coded my old locks to match my new bike to save me having to get my keyless fob out of my pocket. IIRC it cost me £15

Thats exactly what i did :thumb

The answer is both yes and no.

You may easily remove the barrel from each of the locks.

But there are two types of barrels, the recodable ones, and the ones you may not recode.

The recodable ones will allow the keying plates to be pulled out and be replaced, the only thing holding the plates from popping out when you pull out the barrel is the key, that holds the plates from leaving the barrel (they are spring loaded)

The none codable ones have a small pin that is parallell to the key and penetrates through all the plates. The plates are still push in the same way as for the codable ones, but once the barrel is coded for a key, BMW put the pin in from the face of the barrel and then they put the chromed front back on the barrel.

I don't think BMW wants the dealer to do it, but if you want to recode the non codable ones you simply remove the front chromed cover and pull the pin out. You may then remove the plates as needed, and if you put the cover back on without putting the pin back in the barrels will remain recodable, or you fit the proper plates and lock them by putting the pin back in prior to pushing the front cover back on.

Back
Top Bottom