Uk driving license in Ireland

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it’s been done here before but just in case... it’s been reported that a statement released by the NDLS ( National driver license crowd ) that in the event of a hard Brexit people living in Ireland and driving on UK licenses will not be allowed to drive after Brexit because the Uk will become a 3rd country. 250 licenses are been changed every week. This doesn’t affect short stay or holidays, business travel ect. They point out that after Brexit it will no longer possible to swap and one would have to undergo theory test training and sit a test. The scary bit. Obviously if your license isn’t recognised you don’t officially have one. So it doesn’t matter what it says on your insurance certificate YOUR NOT COVERED. JJH

I know it’s been done here before but just in case... it’s been reported that a statement released by the NDLS ( National driver license crowd ) that in the event of a hard Brexit people living in Ireland and driving on UK licenses will not be allowed to drive after Brexit because the Uk will become a 3rd country. 250 licenses are been changed every week. This doesn’t affect short stay or holidays, business travel ect. They point out that after Brexit it will no longer possible to swap and one would have to undergo theory test training and sit a test. The scary bit. Obviously if your license isn’t recognised you don’t officially have one. So it doesn’t matter what it says on your insurance certificate YOUR NOT COVERED. JJH

Was that Bliar who started that rumour. :D

It’ll be nice to join the rest of the non-licensed Irish drivers who happily go about their business every day......:aidan

Ok cancel that alert. It’s also in today’s Irish Sun. must be a load of bollocks. JJH

Not today anyway. As I say to the American tourists on my bus “you didn’t come here for the weather” JJH

I presume that this means that the hundreds of thousands of UK expats living in France, Spain etc will have to either exchange their UK licence before a no-deal Brexit (good luck with that) or sit a French/Spanish/whatever, driving test.

I presume that this means that the hundreds of thousands of UK expats living in France, Spain etc will have to either exchange their UK licence before a no-deal Brexit (good luck with that) or sit a French/Spanish/whatever, driving test.
But it is all going to be simple and straightforward.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If Brexiteers gave a stuff about Ireland and what happens there, we'd not have had Brexit in the first place!

It's no surprise to us that very few people on your island give a flying fuck about us over here on this one Pete. It was always so.

one would assume that they will have to exchange within 12 months like every uk non eu resident has to do here, or we do in any other country. Some require a test some will just exchange a UK licence. Same as us some countries you can just surrender your overseas licence and get a uk one some (where obviously driving is crap) have to do a test here first, but every one gets 12 months driving on their own licence just about everywhere. From the Irish point of view I cant see it happening as otherwise all those driving on Irish licences in the UK would have to change theirs

one would assume that they will have to exchange within 12 months like every uk non eu resident has to do here, or we do in any other country. Some require a test some will just exchange a UK licence. Same as us some countries you can just surrender your overseas licence and get a uk one some (where obviously driving is crap) have to do a test here first, but every one gets 12 months driving on their own licence just about everywhere. From the Irish point of view I cant see it happening as otherwise all those driving on Irish licences in the UK would have to change theirs
There is a reciprocal agreement across the EU in relation to driving licences and the harmonisation of them, it is there to cover those resident in other countries.

However, IF the UK does leave the EU, it does not matter as they will all be issued with their own personal unicorn.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

We’ve just received an update from HMG at work, explaining that UK passports may well have to have at least six months validity left in them in order to travel into the EU come Brexit. It’s no great hardship to renew them early, if indeed it proves to be the case. I will though be much amused if FUEU man gets turned away on arrival at Malaga airport for his two weeks of sun and chips, none of that foreign muck mind.

Yes we have a buisness trip to germany planned for october and similar ideals were raised so I had to renew my passport, still got a red one though.

Back
Top Bottom