Africa Twin Ohlins

Well I know it's not a 250cc scrambler. I

What I mean is how far do you want to go with riding offroad. How difficult would the terrain get before you say enough is enough.

For example....
Kielder 500 or Hafren Rally?

TET through Spain or just hard pack UCR's?

The reason I say that is as you get better you may start tackling more and more difficult terrain so just watch you don't start chasing improvements to try and tackle more complex trails...when really you should be taking stock and and thinking is this the right bike to take me where I want to go?

Equally you may find your happy just riding novice level greenlanes and that's enough.

What I mean is how far do you want to go with riding offroad. How difficult would the terrain get before you say enough is enough.

For example....

The reason I say that is as you get better you may start tackling more and more difficult terrain so just watch you don't start chasing improvements to try and tackle more complex trails...when really you should be taking stock and and thinking is this the right bike to take me where I want to go?

Equally you may find your happy just riding novice level greenlanes and that's enough.

Exactly what is in my youtube video, is what I like doing..... :D

For example....

Great Advice

Exactly what is in my youtube video, is what I like doing..... :D

Happy days. :beerjug:

But you don't see him getting the shock out, he skips the hard bit :rolleyes: i used the same method lifting the rear wheel.

Sneeky gits aren't they.... why edit a how-to video???

... and here is your actual bike in action I believe, rode by Dakar racer Chris Cork :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08frj39vB2k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah that’s the one i watched it when I first got the bike , best bit is at 3:30 :D I’m not keen on those dry rocky roads either . He loves to blip the throttle that’s for sure. I think he was first in the adventure class and 6th in the enduro which seams pretty good going :clap:thumb
Good to talk
Has a final decision been made :nenau

Has a final decision been made :nenau

No, more answers needed yet....

But I've found out a lot and still doing my research. The issues are:-

a) The standard Showa forks and rear shock are actually good quality components it seems, however they're just set up for riders at much lower weights than me. My bike is 20kg heavier due to farkles, and I'm 102kg riding weight (that's 16 stone) stood on top of it.

b) The standard Showa forks are an Open Cartridge design, which makes them 'plush' so going over rocks and holes is a good experience. Ideal for Enduro or Dual Sport riding like I intend to do. This type really appeals to me as I don't want to lose that plush riding experience, but I just want it more controlled with my weight on top.

c) Most upgraded solutions for the forks (like Touratech and Ohlins) are TC (Twin Circuit) or Closed Cartridge design, which are more designed for MX (big landing hits). So it initially takes some force before they start working, this can give it a 'harsh' impression at slower speeds. Especially over constant rocks or boulders.

d) From what I understand Touratech and Ohlins are pretty much off-the-shelf products (albeit you give them your rider weight, and they send out their standard spring, unless it's way out of range). But what I don't know is if they 'tune' anything else based on the information you give them.... for valving and shim stacks etc. What's turning me off this TC or CC design is that its a sealed unit. I wont be able to service it myself, and it has to be serviced by a professional more often than an Open Cartridge setup.

e) The standard Showa fork on the Africa Twin is apparently a 1980's design resurrected. It's not coping well with the Africa Twin weight, flexing too much, and the lower fork tube is scrubbing the inside of the upper fork tubes causing stiction. It's become a widespread problem. K-Tech can send them off to Japan and have them Kashima Coated and DLC Coated. Which is a hardened coating giving it more lifespan. But it's still not perfect and wear is still being reported (albeit some time later). Ohlins brought out their own seperate Fork System but its been on back order now for over 12 months and orders being refused. It appears even the Ohlins forks are suffering from this rubbing and stiction issue. So maybe a redesign is being done?

The reason I'm still interested in the K-Tech upgrade is that it will be 'tuned' to my exact requirements AND using an Open Cartridge system which is more plush and easier to service myself. The downside, is that they need my suspension for at least 4 weeks putting my bike out of commission. It'll have to be done over winter.

However, if either Touratech or Ohlins will build be a custom Closed Cartridge fork and rear shock based upon my weight AND riding requirements (off-road), then I would be interested in them again. The main thing is I don't want a harsh or hard riding experience over stony trails.

I'll have to speak with them all again later this week.

Have you thought of having the rear re sprung and valved to suit you?

It sounds like springs and oil would improve the forks without a large outlay.

As you find the limits, look for the next improvement.

Have you thought of having the rear re sprung and valved to suit you?

It sounds like springs and oil would improve the forks without a large outlay.

As you find the limits, look for the next improvement.

Yes mate, that's exactly what I'm looking at with K-Tech

What's concerning me with Ohlins and Touratech, is they're 'off the shelf' and some owners have reported harsh experiences off road.

This means that even the Ohlins and Touratech stuff may need revalving to suit your individual requirements, which will cost even more money on top of the initial outlay.

Ohlins are now out of the picture, as they only have adjustments for Pre-load, Rebound and Compression. So are really a road focussed shock.

Touratech Extreme are back in the picture because they have adjustments for Pre-load, Rebound, Compression AND fast and slow speed shock adjustments. Plus they have second piston anti-bottom out feature.

K-tech are the cheapest, but the most inconvenient due to lengthy stripdown Also being open cartridge, if the seals blow I'm stranded pretty much.... also no fast a slow speed compression adjustment.

I think the Touratech stuff is coming out on top here, as I can adjust so much

Right then, made my decision and placed my order for a brand new set of

Touratech Extreme front cartridges and rear shock. £ 2,400 delivered.

Reason I went with Touratech Extreme in the end was purely down to the off-road bias these units are made for,

Pre-load, rebound, compression, fast and slow speed fine tuning, and anti-bottom out damping.

They just seem to be a more rounded complete solution to off-road riding and more than capable of seeing me into the future on this bike.

At the end of their useage for me, I can remove and sell them on, so that's a great option as well for part recovery of investment.

Job done. Just got to wait for them to arrive now :cool:

I dismissed Ohlins in the end because they are more a road bias shock, and they don't have the range of adjustment that Touratech Extreme offers. I just think they don't cater enough for heavy Adventure Bikes off-road.

I dismissed K-Tech in the end because of inconvenience to get their solution delivered to me... and they don't have the range of adjustment that Touratech Extreme offers.... and there is a risk of blowing a fork seal with Open Cartridges which I don't want.

So, as expensive as they are, Touratech have won this fight.

My mate has a TT rear shock on his F800GSA....massive improvement over the stock unit which was pretty useless no matter what setting he used. He’s well pleased, tho’ it was an expensive purchase.

My mate has a TT rear shock on his F800GSA....massive improvement over the stock unit which was pretty useless no matter what setting he used. He’s well pleased, tho’ it was an expensive purchase.

Great. I'm hoping this kit works well :D

What I've found difficult in making a decision on this, is theres loads of information out there and an argument for every system. Positive and negative with polar opposite opinions.

The arguments and opinions range from cost, performance, platform, weight, durability and maintenance.... and have been going on for years.

So its a case of rolling the dice and see what happens next I suppose....

What I've found difficult in making a decision on this, is theres loads of information out there and an argument for every system. Positive and negative with polar opposite opinions.

The arguments and opinions range from cost, performance, platform, weight, durability and maintenance.... and have been going on for years.

So its a case of rolling the dice and see what happens next I suppose....

I think its time to worry no more :D

you won't be disappointed with your decision its brilliant suspension it really is. It will make you want to keep the old HAT even longer. how long for delivery ? :thumb

I think its time to worry no more :D

you won't be disappointed with your decision its brilliant suspension it really is. It will make you want to keep the old HAT even longer. how long for delivery ? :thumb

About 7 days I think.

I'll fit the rear shock, and then its going to a mechanic to fit the front cartridges and upgraded SKF seals.

:thumb2

About 7 days I think.

I'll fit the rear shock, and then its going to a mechanic to fit the front cartridges and upgraded SKF seals.

:thumb2

Good idea I think getting the right amount of oil in each leg is very important . Then you’ll be itching to get out on your favorite trail to test them out :tigger:tigger:tigger

Back
Top Bottom