R1250GS Quickshifter Tutorial

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
No, I'm not going to tell you how to use it, I want someone to tell me how to use it!
The only Quickshifter I've used that actually deserved the name was on the S1000XR, superb!
This thing is fecking shite. The R1200RT I sold previously had the same shite Quickshifter!

So it's got to be me?

I ride using clutchless changes up and down most of the time with just the help of a little throttle movement. It might not be as quick but it's a lot fecking smoother.

Can someone explain how to use this thing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

Acelleration on upshifts and closed throttle on downshifts - same as my 63 plate bike

Smooth as butter on my 1250

A little throttle movement is the problem. On upshifts you need to hold whatever throttle you've got on and let the quick shifter do the work. Seems to work best the more throttle you have, and in higher gears. 1st to 2nd is a bit notchy on mine, 2nd to 3rd is a bit better, 3rd and above is fine.

Coming down, as long as the throttle is closed it's fine.

you need load on the gears for it to be effective, so dont ease off the throttle. It doesn't work as good on the GS as on other bikes though which also wont be helping you.

I am fairly new to a quick shifter on gs.

I open the throttle to about 5k revs and change from 3rd up the box. As long as the bike is accelerating then reasonable smooth but nothing like a s1000.

Down shifts with closed throttle as far as 2nd.

Woukd I have another...

No.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do not release the throttle.
The whole point of the quickshifter is to remove the need to take the load of the gearbox so you chopping the throttle is confusing the ECU and potentially damaging the gearbox.
Don't use it at low revs either - 4k and above.
Also coming down must be closed throttle - if you have any rotation on it the ecu won't activate it.

It’s a quick shifter not a can’t be arsed to use the clutch shifter.

Should only be used whilst accelerating quickly.

Downshift when throttle off

Some must be better than others... mine is crap... could change on my last GS that didn't have it just the same.. its been confirmed to be working... but not good at all

It’s a quick shifter not a can’t be arsed to use the clutch shifter.

Should only be used whilst accelerating quickly.

Last time I looked it was shift assist.

In addition to high revving shifts I sometimes use mine under gentle acceleration (can't be arsed to use the clutch) and it's fine - in particular 4th upwards are as smooth as I can manage using the clutch.

No problems on my 1250 although beetwen 1 an 2 up or down I tend to use the clutch

Took a 1250GSA out from Williams (thanks very much Williams M/C !!) couple of weeks ago - quick shifter rubbish also neutral to 1st not once did it engage cleanly, even my old TC is much smoother, so either the 1250 gear box is shite or perhaps just the demo bike? which to be fair has probably had a bit of a twatting??
Super engine though, would I have one Ohh yes, 20+K Err no.. there's still some life in the old TC.

Took 1250 demo out from Chester Motrrad while my 1200 in for service. Did not think much of change up on full throttle or down change on a closed one. So from my experience would not bother.

Some must be better than others... mine is crap... could change on my last GS that didn't have it just the same.. its been confirmed to be working... but not good at all

i have read clearing the gear calibrations can help. worth a shot if you have access to GS911

Had this on my last two (different) bikes and consider it a superb feature.

Clearly, riders should educate themselves on how to use it effectively. It's far from crap.

Had this on my last two (different) bikes and consider it a superb feature.

Clearly, riders should educate themselves on how to use it effectively. It's far from crap.

Sorry but I disagree and I think it varies from 1250 to 1250. No issues on my last bike (Ducati 899) using the quickshift or aftermarket blipper, but my 1250 is shocking shifting up in the first three gears and will randomly not work properly coming down the box. Or it'll work with a delay like when I press up/down on the pedal it half engages and then revs the bike or cuts the fuelling to try and sort the shift at least half a second afterwards. I've had it in multiple times and they say it's perfectly fine despite me having videos of it jumping out of gear as well as the crap characteristics above.

But I wouldn't say that I'm new to the system or how to use it as it worked excellently on my last bike.

Sorry but I disagree and I think it varies from 1250 to 1250. No issues on my last bike (Ducati 899) using the quickshift or aftermarket blipper, but my 1250 is shocking shifting up in the first three gears and will randomly not work properly coming down the box. Or it'll work with a delay like when I press up/down on the pedal it half engages and then revs the bike or cuts the fuelling to try and sort the shift at least half a second afterwards. I've had it in multiple times and they say it's perfectly fine despite me having videos of it jumping out of gear as well as the crap characteristics above.

But I wouldn't say that I'm new to the system or how to use it as it worked excellently on my last bike.

Fair point. Many of the comments though, do tend to point to a lack of understanding.

I'd expect differences between manufacturers, as per your example, not particularly within the same group. That said, I've gone GS to S1000XR and it is far smoother, but neutral is now a bugger to find.

Fair point. Many of the comments though, do tend to point to a lack of understanding.

I'd expect differences between manufacturers, as per your example, not particularly within the same group. That said, I've gone GS to S1000XR and it is far smoother, but neutral is now a bugger to find.

Agreed. I was comparing apples to oranges there but just pointing out that I have experience eating both and managed to find my mouth the first time so assuming I've found my mouth the second time. :yelrotflm:yelrotflm

It's annoying because I've heard plenty people say that the shift is super smooth but mine just isn't. And it's inconsistent too which makes it near impossible for the dealer to replicate the worst of the shifts.

Agreed. I was comparing apples to oranges there but just pointing out that I have experience eating both and managed to find my mouth the first time so assuming I've found my mouth the second time. :yelrotflm:yelrotflm

It's annoying because I've heard plenty people say that the shift is super smooth but mine just isn't. And it's inconsistent too which makes it near impossible for the dealer to replicate the worst of the shifts.

it's subjective and also depends on what you are used to.
For alot of people, it will likely be their first QS experience, but you take the KTM 1290 out for example and you will soon realise thats one smooth quickshifter in comparison

Back
Top Bottom