2017 GSA with Keyless - fob battery life

HarrisBikeNut

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just replaced the fob battery again using an Energiser lithium 2032. Ive only had the bike less than 6 months. Seems like there is an issue. First time, the dash told me the battery was at 50%. Changed it, then after a fairly short time, the bike ignition couldn't be switched on or the bike locked / unlocked. No message on TFT to indicate a low battery in the fob.
Today, I’ve fitted new headers, bike was fine when I got the her out of the garage but by the end of the morning, I had to touch the fob on the antenna under the rear mudguard to start bike etc. Again, no message on dash telling me the fob battery is low. So -
Problem with fob?
Problem with TFT / TFT software (which appears to be “old”)
Unlucky with two duff Energiser batteries?

Another new battery has been fitted and, with the fob in my back pocket, everything works fine.

Batteries were bought from my local hardware store so unlikely to be fakes.

Bob

Just replaced the fob battery again using an Energiser lithium 2032. Ive only had the bike less than 6 months. Seems like there is an issue. First time, the dash told me the battery was at 50%. Changed it, then after a fairly short time, the bike ignition couldn't be switched on or the bike locked / unlocked. No message on TFT to indicate a low battery in the fob.
Today, I’ve fitted new headers, bike was fine when I got the her out of the garage but by the end of the morning, I had to touch the fob on the antenna under the rear mudguard to start bike etc. Again, no message on dash telling me the fob battery is low. So -
Problem with fob?
Problem with TFT / TFT software (which appears to be “old”)
Unlucky with two duff Energiser batteries?

Another new battery has been fitted and, with the fob in my back pocket, everything works fine.

Batteries were bought from my local hardware store so unlikely to be fakes.

Bob

Quite a few have had dodgy fobs, once new one issued the guys had no more problems, warranty job.

:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob

As above

Had EXACTLY the same problem with my Triumph

Turned out to be a faulty key fob which was replaced under warranty. No problems since

Mike

It may be similar to a mobile that has a faulty sim, the continual trying to connect causes the battery to flatten.

I got two years out of the first battery that came with my 2017 GS so suspect that as you suggest yours isn't right..

My batteries were lasting 3 days in my fob on new bike.

Replaced under warranty.

Just been advised by my local BMW dealer that I need to try a BMW battery in the fob. WTF!?!?!?!? My Energizer lithiums are “best before 07/2029”!!!!!!!!!!

I can see things will get interesting when I call on Thursday.........

Just been advised by my local BMW dealer that I need to try a BMW battery in the fob. WTF!?!?!?!? My Energizer lithiums are “best before 07/2029”!!!!!!!!!!

I can see things will get interesting when I call on Thursday.........

Just spat my coffee out, OMG did not even know BMW done batteries, that excuse is a belter, I vote that better than they all do it sir. ;)

Have to admit I was “surprised” by the response to my issue. Didn’t fill me with hope that my problem was important.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to admit I was “surprised” by the response to my issue. Didn’t fill me with hope that my problem was important.......

They are probably hoping you breakdown, and have to call warranty, and then invoice BMW for hours of investigation work, and then discovering by miracle, oh needs a new fob.

So, I have now returned from my local dealer where the service department suggested again that a non BMW battery for my fob could well be the issue. So in the spirit of entente cordial, I’ve paid £3.20 for a BMW key fob battery and fully expect my problem to be a thing of the past (YEH RIGHT!!!!!!)
Watch this space.......

What a load of tosh the only thing that comes to mind is that you fitted a lithium cell which may provide a slightly differnt voltage to the circuit.

An interesting bit of information which may be irrelevant here

Actually CR2032 will fit the MB key. difference between 2025 and 2032 is one is 2.5mm thick while the other is 3.2mm thick.

2032 also has more power. Both are 3V, but 2025 is about 150mah while 2032 is about 200 to 225mah so close to a 50% increase in power.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/569876-key-fob-battery-life-3.html

I’m having trouble removing my tongue from my cheek at the moment. The only “similar” issue was replacing a battery in a carbon monoxide alarm. An ordinary chloride battery wouldn’t work - it had to be a lithium one. Anyway, we shall see.......

Did you spin round three times and sing the BMW anthem song after fitting.........if not then its the way your holding it thats the problem?

How did you know thats what my dealer told me to do?????
������������

Nothing to do with type of batteries - unless you are buying really shit ones from Aldi.
I had same issue on a 67 plate R1200GS Rallye.
Took it into Alan Jeffries dealership who swapped the key fob. Clearly a known issue and your dealer needs to just get on and replace the fob(regardless of it still being under warranty or not)

Since replacing my fob back in May 2019 Ive had no issues and that included a trip around Spain and Portugal in Sept.

So, I have now returned from my local dealer where the service department suggested again that a non BMW battery for my fob could well be the issue. So in the spirit of entente cordial, I’ve paid £3.20 for a BMW key fob battery and fully expect my problem to be a thing of the past (YEH RIGHT!!!!!!)
Watch this space.......

My local bmw dealer did the same and insisted I used theirs. I told them I've just spent £20 On all the major brands but he still insisted they replace with theirs :blast

I obliged, they didn't however charge me for the batteries so you've been done there.

It cost me 3 trips, so 3 wasted days, 15 batteries and 2 tanks of fuel. Plus the recovery guys waste of time and he was clueless about starting the bike from under the seat.

Dealers should have more faith in the customers, these are new bikes and shit happens, I had to remove the bloody pannier to start the bike in Germany proper bugger.

Nothing to do with type of batteries - unless you are buying really shit ones from Aldi.
I had same issue on a 67 plate R1200GS Rallye.
Took it into Alan Jeffries dealership who swapped the key fob. Clearly a known issue and your dealer needs to just get on and replace the fob(regardless of it still being under warranty or not)

Since replacing my fob back in May 2019 Ive had no issues and that included a trip around Spain and Portugal in Sept.

Mine is doing this, had bike since July, 67 plate, new battery in after I got it, it’s now saying this one is 50 percent power.

I mentioned it to mechanic at dealers and they did say they have had to replace some fobs due to this issue, but didn’t do anything as it’s flashed up again today!

Well surprise surprise!!!! The “BMW” battery (actually stamped VARTA!) gave up the ghost today. So the battery isn’t the issue.....just got to take the fob and the bike in to my local dealer to have the issue investigated.......

Back
Top Bottom