Final Drive - Purpose of this screw?

BMW GS

Reaction score
Would anyone have an idea what this screw and sealing washer are for? Only visible when the rear wheel is off.
And where did you get the info because the Owner's Manual is next to useless.

Final%20Drive%20-%20Text%202.jpg

I don't think so since I have been using the filler plug at the top left in that diagram.

Possibly a drain hole then for when the oil is changed. I think it would be at the bottom of the drive if allowed to tilt backwards when disconnecting the tie bar. On the other hand I’m maybe speaking bollocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly a drain hole then for when the oil is changed.

Nope since that plug is half way up the final drive which would make it useless as a drain. The drain plug is shown at the bottom of the diagram.

It's the same part number as the fill plug. Level plug?

Possible, but nobody seems to be using it when looking at videos. Maybe too much trouble to take the back wheel off.

Life was so much easier when you just filled it to the bottom of the filler plug as on my R80/R100 GSes and R1150 GSA.

My 2005 GS had no final drive drain plug or fill plug.
There was only a plug at the rear of the casing, mid-height (9 o'clock looking from rhs of bike.
To drain the oil, you took out this plug, then released the torque arm and rotated the drive 90 degrees anticlockwise, pivoting on the paralever bolts. You removed the ABS sensor before rotating, and this hole allowed air to enter - no breather in the old one either.
After draining, you rotated the drive 90 degrees clockwise, meshing the driveshaft splines etc. Refil 180ml GL5 through the sensor hole using syringe..

I’m guessing your bike doesn't have ABS (I though all LCs did) as that hole is where the ABS sensor normally fits.

Ach, I must have been asleep when I read the question, and wrote the story of the earlier bevel-boxes....Oops!

Drain plug used when the final drive unit is lowered?

You’ll probably find it’s the level plug as is the case with some industrial type gear boxes, if your not sure of the correct quantity of oil and inadvertently overfill the procedure would be close fill plug and rotate drive slowly in order to make sure oil has filled voids etc and then remove the level plug and allow any surplus’s oil to flow out, once done close the plug hole again and all should be correct. However I’ve not read the manual for this procedure so double check it’s correct but after 40 years in maintenance and engineering that would be my guess.:nenau

I’m guessing your bike doesn't have ABS (I though all LCs did) as that hole is where the ABS sensor normally fits.

That's what I thought initially but this diagram is different from the final drive on my 2017 LC, which has two holes at this position, one for the ABS sensnor and one for the screw that holds it in.

Perhaps the OP could tell us what year his bike is and confirm that the diagram represents that?

You’ll probably find it’s the level plug...

That would be my guess a well.

What I'll do is fill the final drive with the appropriate quantity (180 ml I believe) and then remove the back wheel and remove that plug. If the gear oil is at the bottom of it, then that is what it is, a level plug.

Perhaps the OP could tell us what year his bike is and confirm that the diagram represents that?

2016 R1200 GS Adventure LC. It comes with ABS as standard equipment.

As for that plug that I circled, I could feel it when I reached in behind the wheel. I'll remove the wheel next spring and have a look.

Having just had my wheels off to replace the tyres, i decided to drop the final drive down to check the driveshaft splines and grease them up if required (they needed it too well rusted on a 2016 bike clearly never been done). Back to the story; so to drop (pivot down) the final drive you have to remove the ABS sensor which is held in place by a screw above the so far unidentified bolt. If you pivot down the final drive you will dump the oil from this hole where the sensor was, therefore I think this is a blanking plug to replace the sensor in the hole to prevent you losing the oil when you pivot the drive down, therefore it is not normally in place and in the picture it does not look threaded, so I think its a blank to use when servicing if you are not changing the oil. The others top and bottom are the fill and drain plugs.

Back
Top Bottom