Chinese Aluminium engine/valve covers

Deleted account 230327001

Reaction score
Anyone got any experience of the ‘cheap’ Chinese valve covers off eBay? Are they any good?

7b0fbb0615f665d59e8d5be048be5893.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought a number of things off Alibaba.

The really 'cheap' things seem to be low quality - I mean sub £10. But for other items that cost more, like your rocket covers, I can't fault them. Personally I'd go for it. I'd expect fit to be OEM standard, but not necessarily the colour. But hey, they're probably made in China to start with and these are the same.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Can you get a GS into orbit with rocket covers?
Fookin auto complete!

Yea, no problem, just don't pull the clutch in as you leave the atmosphere

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

if you search my posts you'll find one about the inner surface of one of my OEM valve covers bubbling. I replaced it in the end with a new part sourced cheaply (ie not from BMW). My concern was that any material that comes away will circulate in the top end and could easily block an oil passage or get caught up in valve etc. Chinese ones may well be fine, but if not would it have been worth the saving of £50 or so?

Yes, I had them and they were crap...they were not machined with flat surfaces and the oil poured out. No matter what I did I I couldn’t get a good seal. I complained and was told to replace the paper gasket. I pointed out that the gasket is a reusable rubber gasket and clearly they didn’t understand BMWs. They finally refunded me but it took a complaint to PayPal.

Avoid at all costs.

Yes, I had them and they were crap...they were not machined with flat surfaces and the oil poured out. No matter what I did I I couldn’t get a good seal. I complained and was told to replace the paper gasket. I pointed out that the gasket is a reusable rubber gasket and clearly they didn’t understand BMWs. They finally refunded me but it took a complaint to PayPal.

Avoid at all costs.

Well I second this. The surfaces are painted (badly) and riddled with errors. What a waste of money - hopefully will get a full refund. Have bought a second hand OEM set for about half the price of these anyway. Avoid!!!

597b6a5b65171d8b6154dabc0d7d15f2.jpg

I’ve bought plenty of parts from China/alibaba etc that have been more than adequate.

Get them blasted and powder coated.
Or just get them blasted and paint them yourself.

I have this issue with these head covers, my one have just started to blister, the main issue I had was my engine front casing, shocking corrosion “I really look after my bike” but it was already bubbling when I got it 4 years ago. 2013 GSA 90th. It’s such a poor paint finish.

I shot-blasted and powder coated my cover. But really!!! Look at the state of it 22000miles
558262cd4a78d75a02ee4eec9d10970b.jpg

9c0987ec58ec14921403167546d850ce.jpg
d403a5023c62bce9eb8da17575c0b326.jpg

Mine was as bad. I got mikeyboy to take mine off when my bike was with him and he had it powder coated. You can still see the corroded parts under the powder coating where it was so bad the corrosion was eating into the metal.

Mine was as bad. I got mikeyboy to take mine off when my bike was with him and he had it powder coated. You can still see the corroded parts under the powder coating where it was so bad the corrosion was eating into the metal.

Yep, you can see the pitting below the coating......very poor quality from BMW

Back
Top Bottom