Difference between GS/A in lugging it around.

Northcircular

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
45 year old back new to biking - certainly new to big bikes, as the last bike was a Speed Triple about 7 years ago. I'd love a GSA, possibly even a 1250 if I can justify it (should be easy!?). I'm not a particularly confident biker, but I hate the idea of going through the rigmarole of buying one to drop a few times before I get a nice bike, so I'd have to get crash bars etc for a GS anyway. I'll make sure I get some training (perhaps an off road training weekend) to up the confidence at some point. I'd mostly be using it for long-ish commutes across the North West (I have to go to occasional meetings, and neither the wife or I are excited about the prospect of a second car).

My question is more about storing it. I'd probably overwinter it in a friend's shed, but during more clement times it would be on my front garden path. I'd be bumping it up a small step and onto a path through a gate, and frankly, the size of the GSA is a bit intimidating. I'm sure I can make something work, but in terms of turning circle, weight etc, is the GSA that much more of a beast than the GS? Does anyone else have to negotiate their bikes into a fairly small space to keep it off the road?

Many thanks in advance for helping me confirm a decision I've 90% made! :)

Yes mate the gsa is more of a handful biggest issue is the bigger tank I always try and come home with most of it gone try and avoid parking on a decline as pulling it back is a night mare unless you can go forward as for riding the gsa pushes your legs out further

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brilliant - thanks for that perspective. I might be better off going with a GS and aftermarket bars then! That's a good point about the extra fuel above the centre of gravity too - I hadn't thought about that.

Forgot to say yes I live off road steep incline and descent into my house and limited turning

GS will be the easier of the two but if you're scared of dropping it and like the fog lights get the GSA as cheaper in the long run usually.

They're both big meaty bikes so doubt it will make much of a difference re storing. Would advise just test both and buy the one you're happier riding.

The GSA is fucking humongous, like the size of a car, great if you're continent crossing or if you want to pose and let everyone think you're a continent crosser but other that that, they are fucking ridiculous.

GS will be the easier of the two but if you're scared of dropping it and like the fog lights get the GSA as cheaper in the long run usually.

They're both big meaty bikes so doubt it will make much of a difference re storing. Would advise just test both and buy the one you're happier riding.

Thanks - I'll certainly do that - TBH I'm sure I'd be happy with either machine - I could easily try and convince myself of the merits of a 300 mile fuel range, or the advantages of aluminium luggage, but I'm much more looking forward to the idea of getting away from it all with the tent etc, and having the opportunity to practice something and improve. I've got a back to biking session booked, so I should at least be OK with the test drive.

The GSA is fucking humongous, like the size of a car, great if you're continent crossing or if you want to pose and let everyone think you're a continent crosser but other that that, they are fucking ridiculous.

I mean, I like to pose, but probably not from underneath a very cool looking bike. The Speed Triple was pretty small, but it had a PITA high centre of gravity. I did manage to get to Spain on it once, and it was a brilliant trip, so one of the aims would be to get back there. I have family in Spain and in Finland, so the idea might be to plan some big trips in future. I'd be more than happy doing that on a GS though...

You have made 90% of your mind up, presumably to buy the GS version, as opposed to the GSA model. What are you looking for? Two hundred people to tell you to do a 180 degree spin and reverse? Buy the bog standard GS and - as you are not very confident - get some decent training. That will build your confidence faster than anything.

PS You can ride to (or from) Finland on anything, as these two bods show, snapped in Bavaria....

8ab979986a91d38928ff88f5cc008b5f.jpg
b4a5a880f34fce40909baf4980d39ce7.jpg
b92f542e1abf9a61cc3b7a4b1cbeb341.jpg
6e39b764cd183711c3610fc2caaf0c0e.jpg

Why not have a trip to your local dealer and try moving both around to see which you prefer? I don't know how tall/big you are but did you know the GSA has a higher seat height than the GS too as well as being heavier but BM do both variants with factory lowered suspension 850/870 standard 800/820 lowered for the GS 890/910 standard 840/860 low for the GSA

A lot will depend on how tall and strong you are - both are big, heavy bikes but with a low centre of gravity (unless you have a full tank on a GSA!) but still a heave to push or pull up hill. If you are a less confident rider I'd recommend the standard GS or even a lowered one of you are short of leg and some advanced training to get you more used to manoeuvring big bikes. Cannot argue with the advice to visit a dealer and try one for size though.

45 year old back new to biking - certainly new to big bikes, as the last bike was a Speed Triple about 7 years ago. I'd love a GSA, possibly even a 1250 if I can justify it (should be easy!?). I'm not a particularly confident biker, but I hate the idea of going through the rigmarole of buying one to drop a few times before I get a nice bike, so I'd have to get crash bars etc for a GS anyway. I'll make sure I get some training (perhaps an off road training weekend) to up the confidence at some point. I'd mostly be using it for long-ish commutes across the North West (I have to go to occasional meetings, and neither the wife or I are excited about the prospect of a second car).

My question is more about storing it. I'd probably overwinter it in a friend's shed, but during more clement times it would be on my front garden path. I'd be bumping it up a small step and onto a path through a gate, and frankly, the size of the GSA is a bit intimidating. I'm sure I can make something work, but in terms of turning circle, weight etc, is the GSA that much more of a beast than the GS? Does anyone else have to negotiate their bikes into a fairly small space to keep it off the road?

Many thanks in advance for helping me confirm a decision I've 90% made! :)

Buy the bike you want and learn to handle it. As someone mentioned, get down to the dealers and have a play with both. Its nothing to do with your size or how strong you are, its all about technique and gaining confidence. Watch the small guy in the dealership lay out the bikes on the forecourt in the morning or how they manoeuvre them around a small showroom to get some perspective on how to move it about. Once they are moving on the tarmac, there is little, if any difference between as GS and a GSA.

What is your inside leg measurment ? If 30" or less get lowered GS, otherwise STD GS. You don't need a GSA Unless you cross continents and have a 300mile arse, as for people that say it gives you road presence and you will be better seen, bollocks, in a shop window maybe. Sorry I didn't see you works just as well for both models.

Buy the bike you want and learn to handle it.
Very true
What is your inside leg measurment ? If 30" or less get lowered GS, otherwise STD GS. You don't need a GSA Unless you cross continents and have a 300mile arse, as for people that say it gives you road presence and you will be better seen, bollocks, in a shop window maybe. Sorry I didn't see you works just as well for both models.
Absolute nonsense. I have a 29" leg with a standard 68 plate GSA. It's fine. The first two weeks before I squashed the seat down with my weight were a bit hairy but with the seat in low it's not an issue.

As for the 300 mile tank. Wishful thinking if you ride it with any spirit. I get 210/220 to reserve commuting from just outside of London into the middle of the city daily.

As for road presence the GSA has much more. It's massive, imposing, has the crash bars and the spots. I briefly has a standard white 1200 GS before and it's like night and day.

This post is proof that the internet is full of personal opinions and very rarely fact. Just go ride them both and see what you think.

I mean, I like to pose, but probably not from underneath a very cool looking bike. The Speed Triple was pretty small, but it had a PITA high centre of gravity. I did manage to get to Spain on it once, and it was a brilliant trip, so one of the aims would be to get back there. I have family in Spain and in Finland, so the idea might be to plan some big trips in future. I'd be more than happy doing that on a GS though...

Don't be fooling yourself you're going to be trawling all over Europe every other weekend and gonna be a world traveller, unless you're loaded and all the time in the world, it's not gonna happen, believe me. I've been round Europe on a GS, brilliant bike, does absolutely everything you'll need, you are not and will not be Ewan or Charlie, BMW sold that dream to millions.

Don't get me wrong, there is no more imposing bike than the GSA but in real life terms it's a handful. I had a Super Tenere, again, fooking massive continent crosser but way over the top, also had an Africa Twin Adventure Sport, again, fucking massive and I got rid of both of them because I have similar storage issues as you. I only have a shed, getting them in and out was a proper job in it's self.

If it's between those two and you don't have a nice big flat run in to garage, forget the GSA.

Don't get me wrong, there is no more imposing bike than the GSA but in real life terms it's a handful.

Maybe for you. The fella I tour with is 5’6”, just over 10st. He rides a 66 plate adventure, and has no problems at all.

Thanks all - I'm aware that this sort of question gets asked a lot, but it's been helpful! I've got a garage to overwinter which is pretty easy to get into, but it's more of a concern about getting it between two stone gateposts on the pathway - that tank might make it a bit more like threading a needle. Will check it all out and take those points into account.

As for my backside, I've just been told it's definitely not a 300 miler. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I have to agree with the comments of trying for yourself, there is no other way of knowing for sure, so book yourself a test ride on one of each and see what you think.
I have a GSA and have never ridden a GS but it works for me, I am tall but have one leg and don't have any issues pushing it about or slow speed riding and i have to ride it up a slope, over a step to get it in my shed. Getting it out I just walk it backwards just taking it steady.
There are videos of a lady riding and picking up a GSA with no issues and she looks 5 foot nothing so it's not a handful, I'd say it's more about confidence so an off road course would be a good thing to do to improve this. EDIT already posted whilst typing

Back
Top Bottom