Tyre pressure warning on front wheel

Hi beaver,
If you want to gain access to the TPMS sender while leaving the tire on, it is possible, but almost as much work as just removing the tire completely. Marking the tire/rim location will probably keep your existing balance OK for riding again, but if you only break one side of the bead loose, it won't move while the second bead is set on the rim.

To gain enough tire movement at the TPMS side of the bead, you must break the bead all the way around on whatever side you decide to work from. The extra space for working near the TPMS comes from the bead going into the "drop center" on the opposite side of the rim.

You may need to use "C" type clamps to smash the tire, bead to bead, both on the TPMS side and on the side opposite. If your tires have any steel belts/plies, I'd try not to do this...they are flexible for sure, but putting them in a complete kink could result in an unusual condition when you ride...once again, I'd recommend just taking your tire to someone with the proper equipment/tools to remove the tire. You can then work on the bare rim, and let them remount your tire.

Will do, it was just a thought so I could do it myself. Will have to wait until the shops open again :beerjug:

A bit difficult to do at 70 plus mph on a motorway! My tyre pressure monitors have alerted me to slow punctures on three occasions over the past few years. I consider them to be an excellent feature to have.

+1
I totally agree with little Brit, I do check my tyres quite regularly with a gauge, but I would not want to be without TPI on my GS for the same reason stated above, a slow puncture is not easy to detect as the pressure is dropping off slowly, and if you have a slow puncture on a motorway or similar long straight road, sometimes it only becomes apparent when your bikes starts slithering around on the first corner you come across, and if you are fully loaded touring two-up it can get a bit exciting.

Nothing wrong with extra safety gizmos in my opinion.

Yet another unnecessary gismo. Go back to checking tyre pressures the old fashion way.
Nowadays nobody checks tyre pressures, uses a dipstick for oil, checks bulbs, they all rely on electronics to tell them something is amiss.
How many do the Roadcraft check list before venturing out. Takes all of A couple of minutes.

They are great, not for checking your pressures, But being alerted to punctures when riding.

Just last Sunday, six of us riding, Lead bike pulls over, I pull up behind and I see he is spinning his back wheel, And bingo, the dash TPS flashed up red, and there was a huge screw in the tyre. Thats exactly what its for !

My rear went a few days ago, red triangle came up and I was able to pull up in time before the rear let go.

Yet another unnecessary gismo. Go back to checking tyre pressures the old fashion way.
Nowadays nobody checks tyre pressures, uses a dipstick for oil, checks bulbs, they all rely on electronics to tell them something is amiss.
How many do the Roadcraft check list before venturing out. Takes all of A couple of minutes.

POWDER checks? Give us a break!!

Anyway, not true.

My bikes have TPMS. Regardless I check my tyre pressures weekly (and oil, water, blah, blah) , whether they need it or not. OTOH, TPMS tells me about the puncture I've picked up long before I would have know about it otherwise.

The bike can learn/store only 2 independent TPMS sensors ID's per wheel location.

I reference this only briefly in the video, but better explain that more here.
The OEM sensors occupy 1 position each in the bikes software for the front and rear. If you ever mounted a different set of tires, in either position, the bike has a blank/unused position for an additional TPMS sensor ID.
When/if you were to switch back to the first set of rims, the bike would be able to pick them up as soon as they meet the requirement of something like 300 revolutions when first riding.

If you've used/filled in both lines of sensor ID numbers for either or both rim positions, then you will need to go thru the steps in the video to replace either existing sensor ID with a new ID.
This only becomes an issue if you have replaced a given front or rear sensor that would introduce a third unique sensor ID. That's where using my GS911 comes into play.

I rode about 41k miles last year on my '16RT, and have 4 complete sets of rims/rotors/tires all built up so I can match remaining tread depth with my planned trips. That's the reason I needed to master the TPMS sensor ID issues. I do all my own maintenance and start the riding season with materials and consumables for my entire season.
Call it overkill, call it OCD, but it may all be for naught now that I'm still in a locked down US state and have not turned a wheel on my bike this year...and may not!

Let me know if I can help with anything else thru PM.

This is not my experience. Both my 2014 GSA LC and my 2018 GSA LC can only store one ID per location; my 2009 GSA had 4 memory positions (two for front and two for rear). So, changing wheels means recoding. All 4 ID's for the two wheel sets I have are known to me, so I can change that myself with the Motoscan app + OBDlink BT adapter.

This is not my experience. Both my 2014 GSA LC and my 2018 GSA LC can only store one ID per location; my 2009 GSA had 4 memory positions (two for front and two for rear). So, changing wheels means recoding. All 4 ID's for the two wheel sets I have are known to me, so I can change that myself with the Motoscan app + OBDlink BT adapter.

I wonder if this is the limitation of the MotoScan app and or the OBDLink compared to the GS911.
I also have the MotoScan app and OBDLink MX and can only add on set of TPMS at a time on my 1250GSA. It overwrites the previous and don't store both.
My local dealer said they can add my second set and when I change rims, it will pick up the current TPMS automatically.

It would be interesting to hear from others with the GS911 if they can see 2 slots per wheel.

No, this is not a limitation of the Motoscan app. With my '14 GSA I used to go to my dealer to recode. With the official diagnose computer they also could only register one set at the time.

By the way, they did it for free, so there was not any revenue model related to this. ;)

By the way, they did it for free, so there was not any revenue model related to this. ;)

They quoted me £80 to add the extra set which took me about 3 minutes to do with the MotoScan app.
My bike is going a service in July so I'll ask them again if they can add 2 sets.
If you look at the GS911 link below, it should store 2 sets hence my thinking its a MotoScan app limitation.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/procedures/rdc

I did some further digging and found this on the MotoScan website.
®win, you are right, it seems the new LC models only support 1 set of TPMS at a time. I'll query this anyway when the bike goes in.
https://www.motoscan.de/2016/11/21/rdk-sensoren-anlernen/

Teach sensors using the MotoScan app

Depending on the motorcycle model, either 1 or 2 wheel sets are supported.
The older models, such as K25, K72, support 2 sets, so that you can teach them both and change them if necessary, without having to learn each time again.
With newer ones, from K50, K48 etc., there is only one sentence and training is required with every change.

Back
Top Bottom