Short rider questions

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
New to the forum and hope to put in as much as i get out (in time :)

I am going to buy a 1250 GS in the next month or so (after lockdown) and need some advice please.
I am 5’7” with 29” inside leg and want to know:
Will the low suspension model with low seat let me sit flat footed ?
Would the same be said for the GSA as i believe it has taller suspension ?

I currently own a harley tourer ( no jokes :)) which has a low seat but is getting too heavy for me so thought the gs would be ideal to do a little 2 up riding + short blasts + a long one up europe ride.

Thank you for any help - it is appreciated.
Rowle.

Same height and inside leg....standard bike with low seat option is what you’re looking for. Won’t quite be flat foot but good enough.

Hi all.
New to the forum and hope to put in as much as i get out (in time :)

I am going to buy a 1250 GS in the next month or so (after lockdown) and need some advice please.
I am 5’7” with 29” inside leg and want to know:
Will the low suspension model with low seat let me sit flat footed ?
Would the same be said for the GSA as i believe it has taller suspension ?

I currently own a harley tourer ( no jokes :)) which has a low seat but is getting too heavy for me so thought the gs would be ideal to do a little 2 up riding + short blasts + a long one up europe ride.

Thank you for any help - it is appreciated.
Rowle.

Delboy 777 should be able to help.He’s got a 1250 and is very short,I think...

Hi Rowie, I'm the same size as you and had a 1200 gs standard bike with stock seat, found it a bit of a stretch when I first got but you adapt to it,it depends how agile you are. Try one in a showroom or a mates in bike gear. By the time I sold it 4 years later the bike was like any other. I have a 1250 gsa low chassis/low seat and don't struggle with it. worth trying a low one aswell

I have the gs1250a low version. No problem flat footing.It was a major plus for me especially when carrying a pillion and luggage.

Hi Rowle,

I can answer all your questions for you

First off, we'll get the myth's and the things that are irrelevant out of the way

Height - has absolutely nothing to do with can you get your foot down / flat - Your inside leg & weight are the determining factors

You may have a short body, and long legs, or short legs and a long body - both can give you the same height, only one will get you to the floor ;)

To give you a comparison.

I'm a hobbit, short and stout, fat, chubby, call it what you will but i've got more round the middle than i'd like

I weight 14 stone 7lbs odd, so a compact unit and run a 28/29 inside leg (depending where the tape went, and how high i screamed lol)

So now you have a reference point ;)

First Generation bikes (Hexhead)

Stock heights GS & GSA Seat heights Std & Low (others available by other manufacturers), but generally std or low

The std seat has two positions high and low the low seat is non adjustable

Suspension rear adjustable for preload via an adjuster unit - Front i think only damping

With a stock GS and std seat on low settings, your going to be on tiptoes, flat foot only by hanging an arse cheek off one side
winding the rear spring preload off, will get you a bit lower but thats it

Low seat and preload off, will get you onto the balls of your feet, flatfoot one side or other without having to slide a cheek off the seat

be aware, that you still need to be aware of road camber, - potholes when you stop,

(GSA is way higher, i couldnt get my feet anywhere near the ground with a stock seat set low )

You can fit aftermarket suspension I did Wilburs 30mm lowered, front & rear & low seat

Balls of the feet both side, and flat foot on one side or the other without shifting in the seat

However you need to lower the centre & side stands as well

If you put the stock seat back on, your back to tiptoes ;)

Twincam sholud be the same

LC models

GSLC -

Comes with stock suspension, & factory lowered 30mm front and rear, & all seats low, std &high have a 2 stage setting

so you get low seat (high / low) std seat (high / low) high seat (high / low)

I have factory low bike & low seat (set to low position)

Dont get your hopes up though ;) for some obscure reason they made the bike wider, so the 30mm height drop is lost in the widening :blast

Its not that bad though - with ESA suspesion set to single rider & soft, you can flatfoot one side or the other with a small seat movement.

but both feet is tiptoes / balls at best

You can get an ultralow seat, takes another 30mm out of the height, and gives you balls both sides and flatfoot either side

so will work for shorter riders

The GSA again is taller, so i avoided that option

Hope that helps

To answer the specific question, I also have a 29" inside leg and a lowered 1250GS and low seat (as comes with the bike) and I can almost flat foot both sides on a level surface and do not find it a problem. A lowered GSA is going to be noticeably taller as the base bike is taller as well as being heavier, especially with a full tank. This is not to say that you can't ride a taller bike where you cannot flat foot, indeed I have had several over the years and managed them fine as have/do many others here I am sure. Check the various stand-over heights quoted on the BMW web site for the range of seat/suspension options and then try one at a dealer - should not be a problem as the 1200 and 1250 are pretty much the same dimensions so you should be able to find a lowered and standard bike to try for size.

Hi,i am the same size as you and tried different configurations with my dealer before i felt happy,i went with lowered chassis and standard seat even though the lower seat is part of the package with lower chassis,the dealer agreed to swap it for a standard height seat.

I have a similar inside leg, although I’m slightly taller, and I can flat foot my 1250 low chassis model with the suspension preload set to auto. I’ve also sat on the low chassis GSA and it’s also manageable.

I had a standard chassis 1200 before with a low seat and that was OK, except on the two-up setting as this jacked the bike up a good inch or so. It wasn’t so bad fully loaded on tour as this compressed the suspension, but it was a bit tippy toey at times with just the missus on the back.

You need to consider that a GS or GSA can be a tall lump to move about.

Test ride them and also try the 1250 R and RS.

A good dealer will give you the time to do this.

I find the R much easier to get out of my garage than my GS but love them both. :thumby:

Santa 2512 - brilliant reply and helped a lot, thank you ��
All - thanks for all the Help so far.

Reading above i 100% agree that i need to try as many low variations as possible before i buy. I have had my current bike for 9 years and will probably keep the new one for some time as well so need to get it right. If it was up to me i would tip toe on a lot of bikes that i would buy but the Mrs wont get on the back if she feels i cant flat foot. My existing harley is really heavy (20+ stone more than a gs at 420kg !) so i am used to the weight. I do few europe trips and being able to flat foot makes the trips less stressful for both of us.
My local dealer (Wolverhampton) will be open after 1st june so will be paying them a long visit.

Thank you so for all the help - i really appreciate it.

Go for the lowered version, if you lack a bit of confidence the std version won't help. The GS is a well balanced bike even when pushing it around, very confidence inspiring, go for a test ride and don't forget that you can have std or low seat set in either high or low setting, this applies to all variants of the GS.
Weight makes a difference, the heavier chaps can squash the suspension down a bit.

Well im 5 8" with 29 in inseam and managed a full grown GSA without any problems despite being, what the two Trolls above say isnt normal. Ignore them, they are just idiots with only half a brain between them. Confidence is everything, so just get whatever suits you and that you feel comfortable with.:thumb:D

Well im 5 8" with 29 in inseam and managed a full grown GSA without any problems despite being, what the two Trolls above say isnt normal. Ignore them, they are just idiots with only half a brain between them. Confidence is everything, so just get whatever suits you and that you feel comfortable with.:thumb:D

Case closed m’lud.

Though, to be fair,Del’s Shitecam now weighs 462 kgs as it’s fitted with 200kgs of utter shite.....sorry....quality farkles....so it’s now lower than a lowered GSA !!

:comfort :D :beerjug:

Now lads, i realise that you both have to troll on others on here to make up for what appears, to be some pretty huge deficiencies in your own lives. Im happy to take the flack from both of you in order to protect others on here from you drivel, so feel free crack on because its matters not to me. :thumb:beerjug::okay

Roule,you should be fine.

Look how easy Delboy makes it look !!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJniYZ77xqg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom