Seat query - comfy or not?

Excuse me all.
JB has spoken and given us all his most informative experience and knowledge.
There is nothing more to add to this thread.
Wheres wapping ? Close the thread now.

Before Wapping closes the thread:D
Talking of long hauls in the saddle. Whats the longest anyone has done here ?
Mine is, ........Got up in a hotel Marrakesh, and met a mate in St. Nazier. I think it was around 17 hours non stop. I had the sheepskin, and it was perfect. That was on an 1150GS in 2008. :thumb

To give some more info to Doc

The old Hexhead if i recall had a stock seat height of 850mm - 33 inches dropping it to the low position brought it down to 840 odd

With the low seat got it to 820mm 32 inches , with the rear preload on low to none ;) meant you could almost get the balls of your feet on the deck

Fitting 30mm lower Wilburs took it to 790mm - 31 inches ( bliss) flat foot one or other side with ease, and balls of the foot down on both sides :)

Move forward to the wethead and we got the low models, a misnomer if ever there was one

the bike is the same size, all the "low" comes from fitting 30mm lower suspension, centre & side stands, and optional low seat if you want it :thumb2 :)

Great so we start with 790mm and a low seat = flat foot both sides - erm No

The wethead seats are wider, so any gains in "Low" are lost by gains in "Width"

so std height is 850mm 33.4 inches, Low is 820mm 32.2 inches, Extra low suspension is 800 mm 31.4 inches

so why with low suspension & low seat, cant i flatfoot both sides i can do one or the other but not both

Because the Wethead seats are 30mm wider than the Hexhead so your legs are spread wider than before 15mm isn,t much, but x2 is 1.1 inches lost

so you effectively have gone back to 830mm in height .

Going to the Ultralow seat, removes another 30mm in height, i'm not sure about the width i forgot to check that when i put it on

You can see this from the taper too

Hexhead low 310mm rear - 260mm front (50mm) LC low 330mm rear - 270mm front (60mm) TTlc 320mm Rear - 270mm Front (50mm)

Depth of padding HH Low 100mm Lc low 90mm TTUL 60mm

See the pics below

Note the LC low seat has already been modified by me in an attempt to lower it. i took 30mm off the seat area and bout 15mm each side in the taper

Attachments

• Trio flank.jpg
    Trio flank.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 559
  • Seat trio.jpg
    Seat trio.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 559
  • TT comp.jpg
    TT comp.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 566
Thanks for that Santa very helpful :thumb2

Before Wapping closes the thread:D
Talking of long hauls in the saddle. Whats the longest anyone has done here ?
Mine is, ........Got up in a hotel Marrakesh, and met a mate in St. Nazier. I think it was around 17 hours non stop. I had the sheepskin, and it was perfect. That was on an 1150GS in 2008. :thumb

My longest was Salamanca via nr Lisbon and onto Gibraltar 1130 kilometres, set off from Salamanca at 8 am arrived at Gib about 11 pm. Knackered. Passing through Sevilla at 9 pm and it was 38 c.

Approx 600 miles for me Rotterdam to Hirtshals on my way to Iceland taking a bike there for a client.

About 1200km in 12h non stop, standard seat, a little tired but ass was ok (standing up on the pegs every now and than helps a lot)

Home , Worcester to Annecy once 18 hrs + . To surprise to a group touring in that area ( 50 th B day ) my brother , shocked the crap out of them when arrived at the Bar , mind you I did have a 1000 yard stare ….never again , and standard seat + air hawk at the time . worked well like you say standing helps as knee was the worst as broke it racing back in the 80s .. sore as hell , arse fine if a bit numb .

I never had an issue with the seats on my GS’s. Have you tried raising the front and lowering the rear, as that worked for me?

For me raising the rear and lowering the front works. I have both seats lower & standard and I find them equally comfortable.

For me raising the rear and lowering the front works. I have both seats lower & standard and I find them equally comfortable.

Going to try this and have a ride out tomorrow.Will be very happy if it works.

I find the std seat brill and as good as the Sargent seat I had on my previous bike, a Z1000SX. What I find really helps too is wearing Proskins instead of underwear that could have seams that you sit on, much more hygienic in warmer climes too.

I tried hiring the front today as advised to try with my original seat and found it a bit better. My touratech seat is lower than original and a bit less comfy so wondering if to try a airhawk cushion with that.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. Since my original post I’ve tried several positions as suggested in this thread. Some positions resulted in minor improvements, others made no difference or made it worse. So I’ve concluded that the seat and I (well, my arse actually) aren’t going to friends for rides over 2-3 hours! On that basis, I’m now considering a replacement riders seat.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. Since my original post I’ve tried several positions as suggested in this thread. Some positions resulted in minor improvements, others made no difference or made it worse. So I’ve concluded that the seat and I (well, my arse actually) aren’t going to friends for rides over 2-3 hours! On that basis, I’m now considering a replacement riders seat.

The old low seat of the hexhead, was more than comfortable to get me to Dent & Strontian and back

The low seat on the wethead is comfortable, but too bloody high.

The TTKH seat is Ultralow & initially hard, but i have only done 20-30 mins rides so cant confirm any long time results

when we clear this covid crap, i will give it some in depth butt action ;)

Am sorry that some are suffering with the seat.

I find that standard one to be great and have done 8 hour days on mine.

Same here. Regularly do 8 hour plus days when touring. I would add that any seat needs getting used to , e.g. bicycle and motorcycles.

Are you using the standard height seat .

I have to admit that the GS seat to me feels wider than that of my old 2016 Triumph 1200 Tiger, I could ride that for 450 miles in a day and get off without any issues. The GS has my fat arse sore as a mofo after just 70 miles or so. I've tried the raising of the front and it helps a little but overall I find the seat very uncomfortable. But, everyones backside is different so maybe I'll look at a replacement seat. Just very expensive to try and find it's no better. I like the look of the Wunderlich seats but I don't fancy spending £350 to find it doesn't help.

I have to admit that the GS seat to me feels wider than that of my old 2016 Triumph 1200 Tiger, I could ride that for 450 miles in a day and get off without any issues. The GS has my fat arse sore as a mofo after just 70 miles or so. I've tried the raising of the front and it helps a little but overall I find the seat very uncomfortable. But, everyones backside is different so maybe I'll look at a replacement seat. Just very expensive to try and find it's no better. I like the look of the Wunderlich seats but I don't fancy spending £350 to find it doesn't help.

I'm on my second..Tried Wunderlich now on Touratech

Well i dont know about the gs but the bench seat on my 1150 gsa is possibly the worst i have had in 45 years

Back
Top Bottom