Fed ex vat????

So, just to get this right, you have expected FedEx to pay your duty/tax up front to allow you to get your package ASAP ( the d&t has nothing to do with FedEx, it’s HMRC that calculates that and that amount is based on ‘declared value for customs’ on the airway bill, and the harmonise code based on the description of the goods by the seller, which dictates the % of duty to be charged).

The alternative is for FedEx to hold onto your package until you pay your tax to HMRC and once done, they will release it for delivery.

Why should the carrier be out of pocket to pay your taxes ? That is what the advancement fee is for. You are using their money so they make a charge for that. If you prefer, and if you are a regular shipper/recipient it makes sense to avoid the advancement fee each time, you can open a ‘deferment account’ with UK customs and put a big chunk of your own money into their bank account so that any d&t will be taken from that (and automatically topped up by you), and FedEx will not be involved.

Finally, you can reject payment for the D&T completely and FedEx will then take action to retrieve the costs from the shipper. The contract for carriage is between the shipper and FedEx and written on the AWB (unless the shipper has a separate contract with FedEx, and the awb is completed by the shipper.

Two things. Firstly I don’t pay tax to her majesty the mother of prince Andrew, I pay it to the sovereign Irish state.

Secondly, I’ve no problem with the taxes, just the advancement fee! Plus, where did those taxes get charged?! There is a British, Dutch and French sticker on the letter!

That’s the aim. Obviously they can’t so they use tools to filter what needs further attention. Sniffer dogs X-ray and profiling. When a shipper sends something they fill out a declaration and the shipping company’s use that information to calculate the charges. I’d often have a parcel with big stickers OPENED BY CUSTOMS. Plastered all over it. When brexit happens I can see a parcel motel about 100 yards into Northern Ireland. Or 100s of them. A lot of people get a surprise when I look for Eire’s pound of flesh. JJH

So will the customs folk being going back to where they belong when the airports etc reopen? Or is the above just business as usual?

Sorry missed your location as Dublin, but same deal, you pay to your country’s customs people, and it’s Ireland that sets the duty levels.

D&T payment is based on whatever was stated on the airway bill. If shipper ticks ‘recipient’, the FedEx follows that instruction and bills you. Alternatively, Shipper could also have selected ‘shipper’ on the awb (they get billed themselves), or even ‘3rd party’ and someone else named by the shipper gets billed.

If your shipment came from Japan, it’s likely to have transited several other countries -possibly DE, FR, UK on its way to Dublin depending on flight routing, but only transited , ie not customs cleared in anywhere else than Ireland.

As mentioned , if it’s not what you agreed with the shipper, reject payment and FedEx will revert to shipper for payment. Be aware that it then becomes an issue between you and the shipper and FedEx is out if that particular negotiation. Lastly, FedEx will get the money back it’s has already paid to IE customs - from someone.

Two things. Firstly I don’t pay tax to her majesty the mother of prince Andrew, I pay it to the sovereign Irish state.

Secondly, I’ve no problem with the taxes, just the advancement fee! Plus, where did those taxes get charged?! There is a British, Dutch and French sticker on the letter!

So will the customs folk being going back to where they belong when the airports etc reopen? Or is the above just business as usual?
Who knows what way the figures will work when brexit is a reality. They will need a hell of a lot more people to monitor the ports (and every back road and booreen). It’s going to be a massive bonanza to the smugglers and those who control them. JJH

Sorry missed your location as Dublin, but same deal, you pay to your country’s customs people, and it’s Ireland that sets the duty levels.

D&T payment is based on whatever was stated on the airway bill. If shipper ticks ‘recipient’, the FedEx follows that instruction and bills you. Alternatively, Shipper could also have selected ‘shipper’ on the awb (they get billed themselves), or even ‘3rd party’ and someone else named by the shipper gets billed.

If your shipment came from Japan, it’s likely to have transited several other countries -possibly DE, FR, UK on its way to Dublin depending on flight routing, but only transited , ie not customs cleared in anywhere else than Ireland.

As mentioned , if it’s not what you agreed with the shipper, reject payment and FedEx will revert to shipper for payment. Be aware that it then becomes an issue between you and the shipper and FedEx is out if that particular negotiation. Lastly, FedEx will get the money back it’s has already paid to IE customs - from someone.

No problem! It just makes me a bit cranky at times!

The shipper had to use fed ex because he couldn't use his usual shipper. I think I'll drop him a mail and see what he says. I'd rather fed ex just drop their handling fee. However, I do think the shipper should be paying for it. I'll see what fed ex come back with (if at all) and I'll mail the seller. Thanks.

Who knows what way the figures will work when brexit is a reality. They will need a hell of a lot more people to monitor the ports (and every back road and booreen). It’s going to be a massive bonanza to the smugglers and those who control them. JJH

Sounds like we could do with employing a lot more customs folk.

My take on it is that there is sabosably a single area for the island of Ireland with some kind of a customs area in the Irish Sea. There isn’t as yet any hint of anything happening in that area as yet so it’s going to be interesting. I’d like to see what they come up with. JJH

Understand the frustration, faced it daily from our (their) largest corporate customers....I can show my hand now, worked for FedEx for 22 yrs 😉 (retired 18 months ago to ride bikes more often !). Spent many happy hours at the DUB office and with customers in Leixlip...

Good luck !

No problem! It just makes me a bit cranky at times!

The shipper had to use fed ex because he couldn't use his usual shipper. I think I'll drop him a mail and see what he says. I'd rather fed ex just drop their handling fee. However, I do think the shipper should be paying for it. I'll see what fed ex come back with (if at all) and I'll mail the seller. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom