Lifting handle

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
So, i am having a right game getting the bike on the centre stand.:comfort
I have managed it but nearly bust a blood vessel doing so.

I have seen these handle things that bolt to the frame but they look round where the clamp is - wont the handle just spin when i go to lift the bike?

On another point, i know my low version has a different side stand but is the centre stand shorter ? Is that why it is hard to lift ?

Any suggestions appreciated.
If no luck then i need to book gym membership :)

Attachments

• 70BE3344-E1FA-4ECF-9F11-290EFD01909E.jpeg
    70BE3344-E1FA-4ECF-9F11-290EFD01909E.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 397
Don't use one of those handles, you could damage the paint work, I did!
Put your ESA on max preload to make it easier to lift on to the centre stand. If you still can't lift it then you have a problem.

They're a waste of time.

I had one on an earlier LC I owned. By the time you'd bent over to lift it you were worse off than without it.

Easiest way for me,

and i'm a short arse

Left hand on the LH grip,

RH on the frame bar that runs diagonally under the seat. Fingers over the top, not hooked underneath

Then press down on the centre stand foot until you feel resistance and the arm / shoulder is loaded slightly

Then push down on the stand while tensing against your arm/ shoulder .

This allows you to get some good downward pressure on the leg/ stand, without ripping you arm out of the socket

If any help, like says ESA to MAX, then stand slowly down so feel bot sides flat, then center foot on stand and push you up on stand, bike will rise more easy, less petrol in tank when home more easy lift also.

Big boots on tomorrow and will give that a try - thank you.

I just use my right foot on the stand, left hand on handlebar grip right hand on pillion grip, bit of downward pressure to get level and push down with foot pulling up on pillion grip simultaneously , it’s a technique, just done it with lightweight running pumps on. It’s one continuous movement, I’m not particularly strong, 5’10” bikes a GSA. Couldn’t lift my first GS at first.

I just use my right foot on the stand, left hand on handlebar grip right hand on pillion grip, bit of downward pressure to get level and push down with foot pulling up on pillion grip simultaneously , it’s a technique, just done it with lightweight running pumps on. It’s one continuous movement, I’m not particularly strong, 5’10” bikes a GSA. Couldn’t lift my first GS at first.

The problem with using the pillion grip is your splayed like a crucifix, and trying to pull on a point far away where you want to apply load.

If you use the frame bar that runs under the seat, everything is near on in a straight line, so all the loading forces go one way, down , right over the centre stand foot

so you dont run the risk of trying to lift / apply load at arms length ( using the pillion grab )

Remember your lifting technique, you dont lift at arms length :)

Easiest way for me,

and i'm a short arse

Left hand on the LH grip,

RH on the frame bar that runs diagonally under the seat. Fingers over the top, not hooked underneath

Then press down on the centre stand foot until you feel resistance and the arm / shoulder is loaded slightly

Then push down on the stand while tensing against your arm/ shoulder .

This allows you to get some good downward pressure on the leg/ stand, without ripping you arm out of the socket

It also helps if you grease the drive shaft :augie

Pillion grab is closer to my body which is directly above my right foot, no stretching required, as said it’s a technique , been good since 2008, works for me, the only time I really struggled was fully fuelled both panniers loaded and bags on back, but she did sit nicely. My new GSA sits fine also.

Good, solid boots and all of your weight on the centre stand lever. I don't pull up much on the bike, but sort of press the stand down and back. Sort of in an arc.
Hurts like f**k if I try and do it whilst wearing trainers!
As mentioned before, make sure the bike is totally upright. Much harder if it's not

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Good, solid boots and all of your weight on the centre stand lever. I don't pull up much on the bike, but sort of press the stand down and back. Sort of in an arc.
Hurts like f**k if I try and do it whilst wearing trainers!
As mentioned before, make sure the bike is totally upright. Much harder if it's not

Or flip flops like I tried once, Ouch :blast

Well according to the "experts" on this thread its a waste of time. But i have one fitted and its made a big difference to me in a good way. Much easier to lift the bike and save my old back. Oh and BTW never try it with slippers on, DAMHIK

Hi all.
Well, been in the garage this morning and can now get the bike on the centre stand :)

Defo need boots on and i think my main issue was not holding the bike upright. I was a bit scared in case it dropped the other way but once the stand is touching the floor both sides it feels stable whist i am doing the lift.
I am 13 stone and 5’ 6” and can do it now with just standing bolt upright on the lever.(also has full tank)

Again- thanks everyone for their input. Its little things like this that help so much and make owning a tall bike ok for us “short uns” :bow:bow:bow

Glad you are sorted, technique does help a lot. For what it is worth I have used a lifting handle on my previous RT and found it made a big difference, although I don't need it on the GS.

Well according to the "experts" on this thread its a waste of time. But i have one fitted and its made a big difference to me in a good way. Much easier to lift the bike and save my old back. Oh and BTW never try it with slippers on, DAMHIK

You have so much money to waste. ;)

Hi all.
Well, been in the garage this morning and can now get the bike on the centre stand :)

Defo need boots on and i think my main issue was not holding the bike upright. I was a bit scared in case it dropped the other way but once the stand is touching the floor both sides it feels stable whist i am doing the lift.
I am 13 stone and 5’ 6” and can do it now with just standing bolt upright on the lever.(also has full tank)

Again- thanks everyone for their input. Its little things like this that help so much and make owning a tall bike ok for us “short uns” bow:bow
Excellent!
The bike won't fall away from you as you'll have your weight on the stand's lever.
Show it who's the boss

Back
Top Bottom