Wild camp spot please

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A couple of pals are in Dunvegan just now and were unable to book anywhere for tm night en route south. Campsites are chokka, it seems. Any suggestions for a wild camp spot en route to Perth ish? Plenty of scope there! They could take their chances of course but having a rough idea of somewhere to pitch up takes some of the pressure off.

TIA :thumb

East of Perth but in easy riding distance?

Acacia Prison
Great Eastern Hwy, Wooroloo WA 6558, Australia
+61 8 9573 3300

Reviews aren’t great though 👍

East of Perth but in easy riding distance?

Acacia Prison
Great Eastern Hwy, Wooroloo WA 6558, Australia
+61 8 9573 3300

Reviews aren’t great though ��

I told him in the PM he should've posted in the Australia section but no, he insisted.

There's a good place in Glen Shiel, at Eas-Nan-Arm Bridge, River Shiel
https://goo.gl/maps/zSMJG46GbJQCTQY38

Last week there was a report of people rough camping next to the Commando Memorial above Spean Bridge (may not be popular as it's scattered with teh ashes of war dead on the grass round there)

I'm sure you could get away with camping at the car park for the Nevis Range Ski centre too... I have camped there when doing MTB events...Linky here https://goo.gl/maps/q4zVKD2KwvFwyeex5

Another fave spot which may work if you are heading to Edinburgh is the Glen Etive road, just off the Glen Coe (Rannoch). Here https://goo.gl/maps/B8Z5bcBNS9mGnDWL8 - this is a regular spot for wild campers next to the river

I spoke to my sister the other day, north end of Skye. The campsite at Sligachan isn't opening at all, this is the main campsite for the centre of the island. The others, if they open at all, are very reduced capacity because of the seperation required. It isn't the ground space that is causing the grief, it is the bottleneck of the facilities - Bryony only has two toilets and showers, usually male and female, so now they re reduced to only being able to take two groups - each group/family has their own dedicated side. People up there are taking the CV19 situation far more serious;y than those visiting, it is starting to cause friction - someone crapped in one of the boats on the slipway last week. Trash left everywhere..... I hate to think what the fall out is going to be with the litter left behind with the pressure placed on the available sites. The Trossachs must be heaving.

I hope they found a flat patch of ground, off the road out of sight and it stays fine overnight for them.

Aye it's been a fkn disgrace this past week. The amount of rubbish, abandoned tents and shit left at Coral beach is astounding

I spoke to my sister the other day, north end of Skye. The campsite at Sligachan isn't opening at all, this is the main campsite for the centre of the island. The others, if they open at all, are very reduced capacity because of the seperation required. It isn't the ground space that is causing the grief, it is the bottleneck of the facilities - Bryony only has two toilets and showers, usually male and female, so now they re reduced to only being able to take two groups - each group/family has their own dedicated side. People up there are taking the CV19 situation far more serious;y than those visiting, it is starting to cause friction - someone crapped in one of the boats on the slipway last week. Trash left everywhere..... I hate to think what the fall out is going to be with the litter left behind with the pressure placed on the available sites. The Trossachs must be heaving.

I hope they found a flat patch of ground, off the road out of sight and it stays fine overnight for them.

My pals are experienced climbers. :D They know how to wild camp and leave nowt behind. :thumb Shame others aren't so well behaved.

As it happens, one of the wives back home had a minor accident so they're heading south in a oner to look after the bairns. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. :thumb2

Aye it's been a fkn disgrace this past week. The amount of rubbish, abandoned tents and shit left at Coral beach is astounding

I don't know what the answer is to this one...there has been a rash of 'dirty camping' all over, causing damage, fires with fenceposts, huge amounts of rubbish left behind etc etc. It's been bad on the Blair - Dunkeld road, Clunie Loch, Butterstone etc....even one guy stabbed a few weeks back trying to stop them. The access legislation gave a right to roam, and camp, but no sanctions for irresponsible behaviour.
Loch Lomond national park introduced byelaws to stop it, and now the locals want to do the same here....shame when a few animals wreck it for the many. One local described one site as looking like an explosion in an off license! Obviously no lack of cash from the kit left behind.

It's a shame if Coral Beaches has been a victim....a beautiful spot...I once sat and watched an otter and a sea-eagle there.

I don't know what the answer is to this one...there has been a rash of 'dirty camping' all over, causing damage, fires with fenceposts, huge amounts of rubbish left behind etc etc. It's been bad on the Blair - Dunkeld road, Clunie Loch, Butterstone etc....even one guy stabbed a few weeks back trying to stop them. The access legislation gave a right to roam, and camp, but no sanctions for irresponsible behaviour.
Loch Lomond national park introduced byelaws to stop it, and now the locals want to do the same here....shame when a few animals wreck it for the many. One local described one site as looking like an explosion in an off license! Obviously no lack of cash from the kit left behind.

It's a shame if Coral Beaches has been a victim....a beautiful spot...I once sat and watched an otter and a sea-eagle there.

The Bewick swans come into the little lochan on the road to Coral Beach too. The internet has allowed too many people to find these out of the way spots. 30 odd years ago hardly a soul to be seen along there.

There’s absolutely no excuse for behaviour like that. A complete disgrace. Ignorance at the highest level.

Back
Top Bottom