1150GSA no oxygen sensor - Can i ride it?

jack2712

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In removing the cat and fitting a Y-piece the lambda sensor was stuck tight and very corroded on the cat, therefore i removed it from the bike. I have ordered a new oxygen sensor to fit in the y-piece (oxygen sensor hole has the sealing bolt which came with the y-piece fitted). My question is, can i still ride the bike safely with no o2 sensor, or is this a complete no no and just wait until the new part arrives?

Its fine with no O2 sensor fitted

it just changes the fuelling to a default map with no changes controlled by the Lamda

just got back from taking it for a spin - It now surges terribly, goes from steady power to none and then back to full power. I'm hoping the new o2 sensor will fix this, the bike is almost unrideable as it is currently.

just got back from taking it for a spin - It now surges terribly, goes from steady power to none and then back to full power. I'm hoping the new o2 sensor will fix this, the bike is almost unrideable as it is currently.

Its not the lack of O2 sensor doing that

Any popping or banging going on ??

Hard to start??

Had the tank off ???

You may possibly have knocked the throttle position sensor Which is what tells the ECU the angle of the throttle valve and hence how much fuel to inject per XXXXrpm

I haven't had the tank off, and it starts fine.
Lots of popping and banging on deceleration now
Pre Y-piece fitting today i had no surging.
(i think a previous owner has removed the CCP and done the jumper wire mod)
The only other issue is i cut the wires to the o2 sensor about 3 inches from the sensor, and haven't unplugged the remainder of wiring from the bike as yet, not sure if this is possibly giving some strange readings to the ECU and causing issues, i assumed (possibly incorrectly) it would just go open circuit and be the same result as removing it all together.

I would cut it staggered way as close to the plug as I could, in case there are some strands making contact with each other!

Is it a Remus Y ?? There were spurious other ones that were not just as good

and Yes they all do that sir re the popping and banging on the over run with a Y and a standard tail pipe

I will probably unplug the sensor all together and see how it rides (i have the new o2 sensor in the post so will have to unplug and remove the old wiring anyway)

It is not the Remus Y-piece, its a black widow Y-piece which I had seen good reviews on.

I'll see how it is with the o2 sensor fully removed and then fit the new one when it arrives and see if anything improves. If not then i guess ill have to refit the cat or look into a boosterplug/chip/techlusion which is a minefield to read into.

Please let me know how it feels after fitting the O2 sensor back in.

Finally got round to fitting the O2 sensor back in - thankfully the bike now rides great and all the issues above are no longer present, i think perhaps it rides even better than when it had the cat fitted.

without the O2 sensor, it runs leaner under throttle tip in and leaner @ ( WOT) and only richer at idle.

no wonder you are surging without the sensor.

Back
Top Bottom