New R1250GS 2021 coming.

I agree, its a matter of taste,
I have only owned 2 BMW bikes in the last 35 years of riding(I was always a Honda or Yamaha rider) and the GS is the swiss army knife of bikes.
The KTM is much better off-road (ridden one in Romania during a trip with other Gs and KTMs ) and the power is just fantastic, but I would not want to do a 6-800kl days as I have done on the Gs!
Then there is the issue of heat around your family shrub in summer....!!! The location of the rear cylinder bakes the Bollox off ya.. !!!!
This problem may have been addressed but not fixed yet.

There is also the ongoing issue of the rear braking being Sh*T (soft as) and BMW have done nothing to change this.

I am in the market for a new bike and this could be the year I move to the Austrians.... lets see what BMW come out with. no rush.

The answer to your question is NO.... !!!
its a great package and if you have the time to use it to its full potential (go on trips, not just to the shops and spin around on a Sunday) then you will appreciate it what you have,

Enjoy!

That's the best they can come up with?

KTM 1290R is looking better by the second.

I've recently traded in a KTM 1290 SDR for a 1250GS and I agree that the KTM is better looking (in my opinion), is slimmer, lighter and the engine combined with a super slick quickchanger/autoblipper made it a sublime package :thumb...just not as practical as the GS for touring, not that it's likely to see a lot of that the way things are going :tears

I've recently traded in a KTM 1290 SDR for a 1250GS and I agree that the KTM is better looking (in my opinion), is slimmer, lighter and the engine combined with a super slick quickchanger/autoblipper made it a sublime package :thumb...just not as practical as the GS for touring, not that it's likely to see a lot of that the way things are going :tears

Don't think he actually meant "looks" as in the actual look of the bike, but more the overall package vs the GS. Although if talking about "looks" depends on your perspective of good looks.

Don't think he actually meant "looks" as in the actual look of the bike, but more the overall package vs the GS. Although if talking about "looks" depends on your perspective of good looks.

:thumb2

Does that mean people will start riding with you again, Bob? The KTM was effing LOUD

Looks are your own personal choice. KTM had corner brake assist and heated seats before BMW though about it for the GS. You have to go and ride one for an extended time to make up your mind. It is a bike that rewards a more progressive approach to handling the bike rather than the sofa comfort and all round user friendliness of a GS. That said the 1290 Super Touring version would lift a wheel in 2nd just opening the throttle :D It is afterall more of a grown up dirt bike than a GS which is a touring bike.

It ain’t no quicker tho , the Gs will wheelie in second and third , once the Tc is off and over 100 with a lift in the road and then int top and it will stay there .
The Ktm is still a one trick pony , fast yes but better no , it’s chassis is not any better and the Gs is not just a touring bike , I thrash the fook out of mine and it’s a belter as the chassis and suspension allow you to take the piss with non of the unsettling dive the Ktm has . IMHO of course as the Ktm is good but not better. The GS is a touring bike with very sharp teeth and the ability to tear chunks off other bikes with ease ( unless you like straight roads of course)

The GS is a touring bike with very sharp teeth and the ability to tear chunks off other bikes with ease ( unless you like straight roads of course)

Spot on :thumb

Yep the truth will hurt some I’m afraid , but there will always be the ones who say no . I have met some on the roads and passed them , good battles but they just could not keep up with corner after corner.
Oh well 😔

:thumby:

The truth makes me feel better, I fully agree. I was thinking that I should've test rode the KTM if it's so good. I'm loving the new GS. Although I ride a Harley too, I'm used to riding an older "hyperbike" ZX12R. The GS does everything surprisingly well.

the exciting bit was supposed to be active cruise control.... but I believe bosch bottled it, finding something concerning in last minute testing and its been delayed a year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PlPfXZ7if0

I'm not excited about cruise control, let alone active cruise control. I want something to keep the throttle pinned at the just about to break loose point coming out of a bend and just short of the all gone tits up point braking into the next one. How are Bosch doing with that one? I'm still developing the solution and it's fun...

I'm not excited about cruise control, let alone active cruise control. I want something to keep the throttle pinned at the just about to break loose point coming out of a bend and just short of the all gone tits up point braking into the next one. How are Bosch doing with that one? I'm still developing the solution and it's fun...

I recon we need a quick action throttle anyone got ideas ,works on my KTM250 as its a cam change ,wish they did the same ,i had one on my 990 's and it was great.

I was in a dealership on Saturday getting my bike serviced. I overheard one of the sales guys that there will be an announcement in October but they are discontinuing the Rallye as a model but it will be available as part of a style pack. Heated seats will be an option and the bikes will be euro 5 compliant. There will be some different colour options. Base price is expected to rise by £600-£700.

How true any of this is is anyones guess but thats what he was saying.

de98fae7df7d7a960d8e8ff9f6fb348d.jpg

The new 1250GS is finally being launched on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My French dealer phoned me again yesterday to invite me to a “private sale” on boxer engined bikes in stock

I’m not in the market right now but there may be some good deals to be had If you are

I was in Dick Lovett yesterday, looking at a trade in for a new 1250 GS. I asked about new model an I was told a few tweaks but nothing really major. I will have to wait now and see what’s announced.

did they ever put the bike history buried inside the ignition key like the cars had in 2006 ? dealer was telling me that was the big thing coming to the bikes for 2018

Looking at the new 2021 M1000RR I hope BMW will unveil the M1300GS on october 1st...:thumby:
17 inch wheels in CF , a stock Akrapovic exhaust as also more mid-range TORQUE and more hp/rpm on top should make the GS as close as perfect as the ultimate weapon for fast & comfortable road riding...:thumb
M1300GS for the S treet and the 2021 Rally for the G elaende !
Or they bring a few new color combinations like 40 year GS , Rally , TB as a last year or last 2 years send off for the current generation that was around since 2013 and bring the all new generation for 2022/2023...We'll know more tomorrow...

Looking at the new 2021 M1000RR I hope BMW will unveil the M1300GS on october 1st...:thumby:
17 inch wheels in CF , a stock Akrapovic exhaust as also more mid-range TORQUE and more hp/rpm on top should make the GS as close as perfect as the ultimate weapon for fast & comfortable road riding...:thumb
M1300GS for the S treet and the 2021 Rally for the G elaende !
Or they bring a few new color combinations like 40 year GS , Rally , TB as a last year or last 2 years send off for the current generation that was around since 2013 and bring the all new generation for 2022/2023...We'll know more tomorrow...

They’ve already said they are bringing out a 40 year GS.

377eea222393d8eb7179783950882bfc.jpeg

The 17” wheel M1300GS is Europe only as no call for it in US :)

Back
Top Bottom