1983 R100R

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been commuting on my airhead for a few days and when I went to start it yesterday for the trip home the battery was down on charge enough for the startere to be slower that normal. The bike started OK and ran without a problem.

I put the battery on charge overnight with a modern Saito charger, it was showing 50% charge after the 5 mile run home, and it was showing 75% this morning but I don't know if it had gone through a clever cycling process during the night. The battery is four years old.

The bike started perfectly this morning but I noticed that the voltmeter reading higher than usual being up near to 14 volts.

Do I have a rectifier issue? Is the rectifier part of the alternator? What is the best replacement for a bike that is used regularly and does not need to be factory original?

Will around 14 volts knacker the battery or am I safe to continue using it until I get the problem fixed?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue.

Not a BMW but both of my Kawasaki’s when measured at the battery show 12.7 V at tickover going upto 14 14.5 V at 3000 rpm. As you battery gets closer to 100% eg more charge overnight the charging voltage should drop to 13 ish.

I've been commuting on my airhead for a few days and when I went to start it yesterday for the trip home the battery was down on charge enough for the startere to be slower that normal. The bike started OK and ran without a problem.

I put the battery on charge overnight with a modern Saito charger, it was showing 50% charge after the 5 mile run home, and it was showing 75% this morning but I don't know if it had gone through a clever cycling process during the night. The battery is four years old.

The bike started perfectly this morning but I noticed that the voltmeter reading higher than usual being up near to 14 volts.

Do I have a rectifier issue? Is the rectifier part of the alternator? What is the best replacement for a bike that is used regularly and does not need to be factory original?

Will around 14 volts knacker the battery or am I safe to continue using it until I get the problem fixed?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue.

When running the nominal voltage is around 14.4v

Thank you gentlemen. The old girl has done over 135,000 miles mostly on the original mechanicals so I don't want to wreck it whilst adding to tha tally.

I think that in this case the accessory voltmeter has me worrying without good reason.

Back
Top Bottom