Blown dipped headlight bulb

Taffyphil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi I’m after some help. I’m sorry it’s probably been asked umpteen times but my dipped headlight has blown and have just put a new one in and that appears to have blown as well. It’s on a 04 1200gs. I’m not very mechanically minded and thought it might have been fuse but have realised there aren’t any. Everything else electrical appears to be working. Can anybody point me in the direction of what I need to be looking for. Thanks

Hi I’m after some help. I’m sorry it’s probably been asked umpteen times but my dipped headlight has blown and have just put a new one in and that appears to have blown as well. It’s on a 04 1200gs. I’m not very mechanically minded and thought it might have been fuse but have realised there aren’t any. Everything else electrical appears to be working. Can anybody point me in the direction of what I need to be looking for. Thanks

The replacement bulb you fitted was probably crap. Try again.

first thing is the old one blown? always worth checking.

then did you touch the new bulb or get any dirt on it?

its a right pain to fit without doing so....and as a halogen, the bulb glass gets so hot it causes them to pop if any grease or finger marks are on it.... the other one is not all bulbs are created equal, some will do 20 years others as suggested above 20 minutes

Try the bulbs in your high beam just to check they actually work (same bulb)
Do you have a lampf warning on the dash at all.

....and as a halogen, the bulb glass gets so hot it causes them to pop if any grease or finger marks are on it....

A dirty halogen bulb won't pop instantly, even if you completely cover it in grease. :D

Blown dipped headlight

I”be checked the new bulbs and they’ve not blown. The wiring looks ok. I realise when the first bulb blew the management system isolated the headlight. Is there a reset switch or is this likely to be an expensive trip to the garage.

first thing is the old one blown? always worth checking.

its a right pain to fit without doing so....and as a halogen, the bulb glass gets so hot it causes them to pop if any grease or finger marks are on it.... the other one is not all bulbs are created equal, some will do 20 years others as suggested above 20 minutes

I assume the same on the earlier models (I have a 2010) but easier to fit the bulb with the headlight unit out.
Two torx screws, one each side, and unclip the two power multiplugs, then lift off of the alignment boss.
Place the headlight unit face down on a piece of cardboard or towel.
Just remember when placing back to make sure the alignment boss goes into the hole in the bottom of the headlight unit.
Sounds worse than it is, but definitely easier to replace the bulbs that way.

Good luck.

I had similar issues when i first got my bike. I made the mistake of buying cheap replacement bulbs off ebay.

Sounds like the bulb may not the only issue here, but make sure you repace with a quality bulb.

they pop regularly in mine 5k miles each, (for a good one and it doesn't matter which brand)

Finally got it sorted. Checked all connections new bulbs and hey presto it works. Fucked if I know what was wrong with it. Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

Finally got it sorted. Checked all connections new bulbs and hey presto it works. Fucked if I know what was wrong with it. Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated.

It goes like that sometimes, it's as if you've gone into another dimension where stuff doesn't work then, pop, you're back and stuff starts working again :D

I get this all the time with my rear light/brake light. LampF warning that one or the other has failed. Remove bulb, refit and hey presto all back to normal. Its the same bulb that the bike came with some 14 years ago. So 14 years on the same bulb with intermittent failure warnings.

Back
Top Bottom