Chinese MudSling

A key difference is that MachineArt's MS and fender extender look like they are oem material. I can't say that the one displayed is a particularly good look, though we all agree that MachineArts prices are eye-watering.

My Chinese front mudguard extender looks exactly the same as the Machine Art one I had on my previous bike. I suspect it came out of the back door of the same factory, which isn't unusual with Chinese suppliers.

My Chinese front mudguard extender looks exactly the same as the Machine Art one I had on my previous bike. I suspect it came out of the back door of the same factory, which isn't unusual with Chinese suppliers.

I got a Chinese one, i fitted it and had my mate mark it whilst I sat on it and bounced up n down, I cut the excess of with my dremmel and it’s been fine for 18 months

I got a Chinese one, i fitted it and had my mate mark it whilst I sat on it and bounced up n down, I cut the excess of with my dremmel and it’s been fine for 18 months

Good idea - might just do the same.

How are we to know when a greedy manufacturer has recovered their costs, to the point of making a suitable return on their investment?

I guess we never will due to commercial reasons but as the GS/GSA LC has now been around since 2014 and during that time has been mostly at the top of the sales charts then it's reasonable to assume they've long since done that and if you consider you can buy a copy for around a sixth of the price and that seller is also making a profit then people can make their own minds up if they think they're being taken for a ride or not for what are very often just pieces of injection moulded plastic

I guess we never will due to commercial reasons but as the GS/GSA LC has now been around since 2014 and during that time has been mostly at the top of the sales charts then it's reasonable to assume they've long since done that and if you consider you can buy a copy for around a sixth of the price and that seller is also making a profit then people can make their own minds up if they think they're being taken for a ride or not for what are very often just pieces of injection moulded plastic

All good points, but what pays for the next product r&d if it's not the current products?

If people like Machine Art don't come up with new ideas - who will? I don't think it will be the Chinese knock-off manufacturers.

In following this thread, I've just swapped my Chinese one for a proper Mud Sling (bought second hand) as I found that even though the Chinese one fitted well, on full rear suspension travel the small bush on the inside of the swing arm was leaving a light rub mark about 5 cm long (and I had already had to re-shape it before). So decided it had to go and I had to bite the bullet.

Before fitting the proper Mud Sling I took a couple of photos for comparison. Interesting in that the proper Mud Sling is slightly longer so it sits further down past the rear shock; the fitting up by the seat is also much better (in the way that it sits around the seat and the electrical ties fit. I take nothing away from the Chinese one, but the Mud Sling is definitely a better design and fits much better IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_3565.jpg
    IMG_3565.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Good to know there is a benefit with the Mudsling & for sure either an improved solution over standard set up.

In following this thread, I've just swapped my Chinese one for a proper Mud Sling (bought second hand) as I found that even though the Chinese one fitted well, on full rear suspension travel the small bush on the inside of the swing arm was leaving a light rub mark about 5 cm long (and I had already had to re-shape it before). So decided it had to go and I had to bite the bullet.

Before fitting the proper Mud Sling I took a couple of photos for comparison. Interesting in that the proper Mud Sling is slightly longer so it sits further down past the rear shock; the fitting up by the seat is also much better (in the way that it sits around the seat and the electrical ties fit. I take nothing away from the Chinese one, but the Mud Sling is definitely a better design and fits much better IMO.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that- good to see a side by side comparison.

Another alternative to the Mudsling is the Wunderlich splash guard https://www.nippynormans.com/touring-essentials/wunderlich-splash-guard-r1200gs-lcadv-lc-r1250gs

Even more expensive (I know I know), but fits differently, bolting over the existing under-seat shield and extending down beyond the shock. It doesn't rely on tie-wrapping to the subframe sides either- it uses the existing bolt location under the seat so won't risk rubbing the paint on the subframe.

I bought the genuine Mudsling, but now I'm thinking of buying one of these to put it on.

Chinese-Motorcycles-Zongshen-RX4.jpg

All good points, but what pays for the next product r&d if it's not the current products?

If people like Machine Art don't come up with new ideas - who will? I don't think it will be the Chinese knock-off manufacturers.

There's a difference between making a profit and sustaining your business and making unreasonable profits IMO. I do have an original mudsling plus a pair of their xheads so I'm not a total cheapskate though (again IMO) they're not the only ones milking the GS cashcow

There's a difference between making a profit and sustaining your business and making unreasonable profits IMO

Apart from Machine Art, who knows what return they make on their products - once fully costed?

I'm guessing they're not here to sustain their business, but more like to make even more profit, based upon their IP - pretty much the same as any other business.

One thing is for sure. If the likes of Machine Art don't put the effort in to R&D, the Chinese knock-off copiers won't copy the latest bling for your bike.

The one I have just received looks in everyway the same apart from being slightly narrower, and an inch shorter.

I bought a Chinese TFT shade and I cannot get it to fit!!! Free to someone more patient.
4eb60094804cc08b65370be8bac69f0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put an eBay mudguard extender on my 1250 GS.

I think arguing about uk or china manufacture is a moot point.

Why the b***y h**l don’t BMW supply the bike with a mudguard that is long enough so it actually works?

Atb
Simon

Back
Top Bottom