New year, new project bike

Did you refurbish your switchgear or are you using new.

Think I might have found an answer, apparently the new clutch switches are slightly oversize so they don’t go in far enough. seems you have to sand them down a bit before they will slot all the way into the recess. Bastard, I’ll have to pull it all apart again. Oh hum
Sorted the clutch switch problem. The switch just needed sanding down a fraction on each side so that it would slot fully into the housing

Yup, defo coming from coil. Bike not ready to fire up yet, need to strip and rebuild the fuel tap. Going to check all my connections are correct again and if that doesn’t sort it I’ll try some swapnostics. I did read on snowbum’s site that the coils are energised for a period as soon as you turn the ignition on and then if the motor isn’t turning the ignition unit cuts power to the coils after a certain period of time which differs depending on the part number of the ignition unit. This may explain what’s happening but not why the coils are noisy……
Well this one had me scratching my head but I managed to solve it by doing some swapnostics. It turned out to be a defective Ignition Unit. The one giving me the weird problems was a brand new pattern part from Motorworks. I swapped it for a known good one off my Basic and hey presto, problem gone away.

Just one final job to do now, fitting the heated grip wiring loom. Once that’s done the panels can go for painting and she’s ready to roll. Speaking of ‘she’ I’ll need to give her a name. My other GS’s have all got German girls names (Heidi, Helga, Angela) so I need to think of a new one. Any suggestions?🤣

Finally got finished working on other bikes and back to this one. I haven’t solved the coil noise mystery yet but I’ve just bumped into another problem, this time with the clutch switch……

the problem is that the switch isn’t switching when the lever is released/pulled in because the plunger on the micro switch is too short and the lever doesn’t move it enough to switch.
Has anyone encountered this before or have I cocked something up?

This is the version of clutch perch/switch I’m using
View attachment 295391

I ran into the exact same problem with my girl Jutta. 😉
IMG_2519.jpeg

Last edited:
I realised I’d missed a picture out of the thread so here it is. New digital tuna can from BMW plus new Enduralast high output alternator and diode boardIMG_0915.jpeg

Need some help here please from an airhead electrical guru……….how do I connect these two sub-looms into the electrical system. They are supposed to connect the wires from the heated grips and the three position switch into the main loom. I can match the connectors from the grips and the switch to their opposite numbers in the first sub loom but for the life of me I can figure out what it is supposed to connect to in the main loom to get a power supply. I’ve no Idea what the second sub loom is for. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The bike is an 88 R80GS (round headlight)

IMG_0916.jpegIMG_0917.jpeg

Hmm, tricky not being close to the bike. On my G/S I have a green/black + green/red female socket coming from the loom under the frame main tube at the front. This is power from the bike. It seems the black plug in your top pictured loom goes into that. On the other loom the brown cable fixes to a suitable earth point (mine goes to the top mounting screw on the ignition control unit heat sink. The chocolate block, the other black 2-pin and the white connector are unrelated and probably there for other circuits (the green/black and green/red feed many other services). Maybe the previous owner did some mods...

Crappy photos of my uncleaned installation (believed to be standard):

Attachments

• IMG_8749.JPG
    IMG_8749.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8750.JPG
    IMG_8750.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8752.JPG
    IMG_8752.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8753.JPG
    IMG_8753.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8755.JPG
    IMG_8755.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8754.JPG
    IMG_8754.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8751.JPG
    IMG_8751.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 16
Many thanks for that Gelandestrasse, the photo’s are really helpful. When I looked yesterday I couldn’t find that live feed from the loom on mine. I’m going to have another look though in case it’s covered in tape, it’s a brand new loom so there shouldn’t be any mods to it

Well I’ve searched and searched and the power supply for the heated grips doesn’t exist on my loom (brand new OEM loom for an 88 R80GS. What I have found though is that it’s possible to insert the male and female plugs from the second loom above (see post 153) into the line from the main loom to the clutch switch. It could be that this gives me a switched live supply, but I haven’t checked yet and I don’t know if it would interfere with the function of the clutch switch circuit (creating another earth path?). I’m stumped

Well I’ve searched and searched and the power supply for the heated grips doesn’t exist on my loom (brand new OEM loom for an 88 R80GS. What I have found though is that it’s possible to insert the male and female plugs from the second loom above (see post 153) into the line from the main loom to the clutch switch. It could be that this gives me a switched live supply, but I haven’t checked yet and I don’t know if it would interfere with the function of the clutch switch circuit (creating another earth path?). I’m stumped
Found this wiring diagram on snowbums site. Looks like I need to tap into the sidelight circuit to pick up a fused switched live for the grips
IMG_0919.jpeg

Right, finally got this sorted out, in my head anyways. There is no live feed on my loom for the heated grips. There is however an unused switched/fused live and earth in the headlight binnacle for the speedo light. I’m not using this because I’ve fitted an acewell speedo. The wire gauge is too small for the heated grips so I’m going to use these wires to trigger a make/break relay and take a live from the spare/accessory slot in the fuse box. This will give me a robust switched/fused supply without any wiring bodges. Some Google searching suggests I’m not the first person to encounter this problem!

Back
Top Bottom