How to tell if a Twin Cam R1200GS has factory low suspension or not?

MikeS

Bloke
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell definitively if a Twin Cam R1200GS has factory low suspension or not?

Is there something obvious on the bike or a specific code in the log book for example?

Does anyone know how to tell definitively if a Twin Cam R1200GS has factory low suspension or not?

Is there something obvious on the bike or a specific code in the log book for example?

As far as i car recall the "Factory Low" only came in with the LC varients

Any TC earlier than this is std suspension

Looks like the later K25 (Pre LC) came with a low option, but only in the manual versions

The ESA units do not show a low option

Check Real oem to find out when the low frst appeared - edit 2009 deffo

you will need to do front shock as well as the centre & side stand

They are rare as hens teeth,, ( had i known that i may have got a tc over the LC)

The only way you will get a tc lowered is to have it custom fitted not a bmw option

Thanks but that's not right, Twin Cam GS's could be bought with low factory suspension. You had to forego ESA though (a good thing).

Mike, I had my (Non TC)suspension serviced & lowered to “low spec” by Denz0 who is on the forum, so if you are looking for a twin cam a normal height bike needn’t be a deal breaker and would give you more choice.
If you are not too far from me you could try mine for size. Didn’t need to change sidestand but will have to modify centre stand.

Al.

Mike, I had my (Non TC)suspension serviced & lowered to “low spec” by Denz0 who is on the forum, so if you are looking for a twin cam a normal height bike needn’t be a deal breaker and would give you more choice.
If you are not too far from me you could try mine for size. Didn’t need to change sidestand but will have to modify centre stand.

Al.

Thanks for the offer, I will bare it in mind, not to far away actually and Exmouth is a nice place to visit.

A buddy of mine had a factory lowered Trippleblack TC. He never got on with it so traded it for a full hight model.

I've had two of them. First was from Motorworks, that got written off, and the first advert that I looked at on here was the second one.
I wouldn't say they are rare at all.
The sidestand has a kink in it rather than straight, main stand is shorter, and the swing arm looks more "inline" with the gearbox. Also, short people like me generally have a low seat as well, which is noticeable.

I've got factory low 2012 triple black. I think it handles better being that bit lower. When I bought mine there was a few available out there.

That's exactly why I want one, it's not a height issue.
Hi, Mike If you can't find what you are looking for you can always lower or customize the one you have.

Apart from lowering you could upgrade the springs or valve the shock to be a bit stiffer on the compression and feel more like aftermarket suspension.
Ohlins comes with twice as much compression damping for the same setup and less rebound damping and that helps with traction.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi, Mike If you can't find what you are looking for you can always lower or customize the one you have.

Apart from lowering you could upgrade the springs or valve the shock to be a bit stiffer on the compression and feel more like aftermarket suspension.
Ohlins comes with twice as much compression damping for the same setup and less rebound damping and that helps with traction.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Denz0

I have tried to send you a pm about this but your mailbox is full.

1200GS Twin Cam factory low suspension

Yes it's obvious- well it was to me.
I had a 2008 one, WU08RXK sold in 2011.
1. If you can touch the floor with your feet, it's lowered.
2. If you keep scratching the centre stand going round corners, it's the lowered one!
Hope that helps!

Rgds
Dave

2. If you keep scratching the centre stand going round corners, it's the lowered one!
Hope that helps!

Rgds
Dave[/QUOTE

Thanks but I could work that out for myself if I was actually with the bike :D
I was trying to find out before travelling a long way to view it.
Anyway, I have manage to confirm the bike in question is not a low suspension model.

Hope that helps!

Rgds
Dave

Cobblers !

i have a lowered, and i can touch the floor with my feet! I also had a std height which i can touch the floor with my feet ..

Back
Top Bottom