Venus bike trap lock

just a thought for the collective, if locking to a wall or close structure, could you not make use of one of those tow bar/ caravan lock covers that you see to hide the lock?

Sorry if this appears a bit "Dragons Den" but...

Just as a matter if interest, would you expect this unit to be bolted to the floor using resin bolt anchors (like other ground anchors)... or another method? If they're not resin secured, and with the centrestand up, could the weight of the bike be rocked back and forth on the spindle lock to simply crack the concrete base underneath it, enough to be pulled out and the bike wheeled away.

What happens when the owner sells his BMW and buys another brand of bike? Is this unit instantly redundant, will it block the available space until it's removed? Or can it be modified for other bike types?

If it is Resin bolted, how can the owner remove it without destroying the floor?

If somebody was careless and bumped their bike backwards into the clamping unit, how strong are the hinges? If the hinged arm was pushed/bent backwards out of alignment would it 'scrap' the unit?

Do you have enough confidence in the application to show a video wheeling a bike into the unit and locking it up. From start to finish without edited breaks in the footage? To demonstrate how easy or fiddly it is.

I’d potentially be interested in one for a 1600, not least as it looks well made.

The only problem I can see is that you’d be forced to park the bike in the same spot each time. That might not be a huge issue for some but I move my bike, sometimes by several feet in any direction, depending on what else I am up to in the garage. A couple of simple ground anchors, bolted to the floor and assorted lengths of chain allow me to do this. Failing that, I just check the pound of butter in the fridge and use a disc or U-lock.

I’d potentially be interested in one for a 1600, not least as it looks well made.

The only problem I can see is that you’d be forced to park the bike in the same spot each time. That might not be a huge issue for some but I move my bike, sometimes by several feet in any direction, depending on what else I am up to in the garage. A couple of simple ground anchors, bolted to the floor and assorted lengths of chain allow me to do this. Failing that, I just check the pound of butter in the fridge and use a disc or U-lock.

maybe use as big ulock, 25 kilo on rear difficult for pushing down road.

That looks pretty good, I'm impressed but would like to destroy one with an angle grinder to see how long it holds up. After being the victim of theft a couple of times over the years I'm a bit paranoid and have resorted to multiple different measures to slow the bastards down. I know exactly how long it takes to cut my chains as I've done it with the end link of different types, including Almax and Pragmasis which are considered the market leaders. Both tough but it's only a question of time. I'd never rely on just one lock or even just one ground anchor.

@BDG - How long did it take to cut those chains?

I don't really want to say exactly on a public forum although I'm sure the scallies know far better than me. Less than 5 minutes is all I'll say but still the best single individual means of defence in a layer of defences. Almax and Pragmasis are both the best I've cut. I'm not a thief but having been a victim I try and think like one, about how easy it is to defeat various things.

Cheap locks and chains are worthless, I suggest 2 different types of chains, through the frame or in the case of the GS a Pragmasis anti pinch pin through the rear wheel of the GS as it's easy to unbolt a wheel on most bikes. Then lock to a quality ground anchor or preferably two as a starter.

I don't really want to say exactly on a public forum although I'm sure the scallies know far better than me. Less than 5 minutes is all I'll say but still the best single individual means of defence in a layer of defences. Almax and Pragmasis are both the best I've cut. I'm not a thief but having been a victim I try and think like one, about how easy it is to defeat various things.

Cheap locks and chains are worthless, I suggest 2 different types of chains, through the frame or in the case of the GS a Pragmasis anti pinch pin through the rear wheel of the GS as it's easy to unbolt a wheel on most bikes. Then lock to a quality ground anchor or preferably two as a starter.

What thickness were the chain links?

To be honest less faff than a chain ... very nice!

Good idea to have the two uprights pivot away / which gives more room to manoeuvre in.

Issue for me would be that I have to use centre stand all the time ... and getting alignment spot on.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weĺl i like it. My issue like others is i can't have my bike in the same place all the time because of work stuff etc otherwise i'd have one.

Your an absolute star:beerjug:

How do you do that? took me 25 mins and still nothing:blast

Many thanks:thumb

My pleasure.

On YouTube click the 'share' box & copy the URL. Then in the narrative box on UKGSer click on the little film icon above (if you hover over it it says 'Insert video'), paste the URL in & Bob's your uncle.

That’s a tidy, well priced, product you’ve made. A good, easy to understand, video too. Best wishes for the sales drive.

Statement retracted as it doesn't matter :D

Back
Top Bottom