Gear change problem

bowie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, use my 1150 every day for work, in the last couple of weeks after about 15 mins of my journey it will go down to gear 3 no probs, but after that it won't go down any lower without keeping the clutch in and moving the foot changer up and down. Any ideas? Cheers :cool:

Screenshot_2020-05-10-14-15-54.jpg

Sounds like you need lubed. :eyebrow

This is a pretty common problem but is very easy to remedy. Essentially you just need to strip, clean and grease the gear changing linkages and she'll be grand. Thirty minutes we'll spent.

It’ll be a seized bush in the gearlever - remove gearlever from footrest hanger, push out the bush in the lever that the bolt goes through and clamps down on. Rub the bush and inside gearlever where the bush fits with wet & dry. When the bush is a nice loose fit, grease it well and re-fit the bush and then fit the gearlever back into the footrest hanger and put it all back together :thumb

Thanks guys, I've had loads of problems with it, had to put a new battery on, less than a year after I bought it, mind you that was 2007 :bow

20200521_133144.jpg

(maybe I shouldn't have said that)

Sounds like you need lubed. :eyebrow

This is a pretty common problem but is very easy to remedy. Essentially you just need to strip, clean and grease the gear changing linkages and she'll be grand. Thirty minutes we'll spent.

It’ll be a seized bush in the gearlever - remove gearlever from footrest hanger, push out the bush in the lever that the bolt goes through and clamps down on. Rub the bush and inside gearlever where the bush fits with wet & dry. When the bush is a nice loose fit, grease it well and re-fit the bush and then fit the gearlever back into the footrest hanger and put it all back together :thumb

What they say :thumby:

:beerjug:

When I did mine I found the pivot bolt was fitted with locktite and of course was VERY tight so if it's the same warm it up first and you'll find it a lot easy to undo. I refitted it without any and after 80,000 have had no probs (2001 model)

I had exactly the same problem on my bike and eased it a bit by spraying WD40 on the offending area because I was away from home at the time but when I got home and the problem returned I followed the advice offered here (exactly the same as you’re getting) and it was problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom